Posted Jan 4, 2014
10:48:30 AM
What is Web Portal Ring?

I had 4 phone calls yesterday on my home phone from web portal ring. It has my home number on the caller id and called very late at night. I'm wondering if anyone knows what this is? When answering the phone nothing was on the other line. just complete silence.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Jan 4, 2014 11:34:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by BeeBeeSA on Jan 4, 2014 at 11:49:29 AM

Uverse has the ability for you to return calls thru an interactive app on the TV.  You access it by pressing menu > interactive > interactive apps > services > phone services.  You will then see incoming calls to your number on the TV screen.  You can select one of the numbers by highlighting it and then press ok and your home phone will ring.  In the caller id you will see "web portal call" and your phone number.

There used to be a yellow pages app that would allow you to search businesses and you could call them by selecting their number on the TV and it would call your phone back in the same manner but I can't seem to find that any longer. 

Edit:  You can also place calls, like mentioned above, thru the AT&T Uverse Portal by logging into your account and going to "voice features" then to "call log".  You can dial any number that shows up in that log by clicking it, or on the left pane you can enter any number you want and click call.  Your home phone will ring with the caller id I listed above and you can complete the call by answering your phone.

So it would appear that it was someone within your home using the TV app, OR someone was accessing your Uverse Portal and doing it thru that.  If you think it was being done thru the portal and no one in your immediate residence was the one doing it I would change my password to the portal for security reasons.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

What is Web Portal Ring?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Jan 4, 2014 11:34:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by BeeBeeSA on Jan 4, 2014 at 11:49:29 AM

Uverse has the ability for you to return calls thru an interactive app on the TV.  You access it by pressing menu > interactive > interactive apps > services > phone services.  You will then see incoming calls to your number on the TV screen.  You can select one of the numbers by highlighting it and then press ok and your home phone will ring.  In the caller id you will see "web portal call" and your phone number.

There used to be a yellow pages app that would allow you to search businesses and you could call them by selecting their number on the TV and it would call your phone back in the same manner but I can't seem to find that any longer. 

Edit:  You can also place calls, like mentioned above, thru the AT&T Uverse Portal by logging into your account and going to "voice features" then to "call log".  You can dial any number that shows up in that log by clicking it, or on the left pane you can enter any number you want and click call.  Your home phone will ring with the caller id I listed above and you can complete the call by answering your phone.

So it would appear that it was someone within your home using the TV app, OR someone was accessing your Uverse Portal and doing it thru that.  If you think it was being done thru the portal and no one in your immediate residence was the one doing it I would change my password to the portal for security reasons.  

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: What is Web Portal Ring?

[ Edited ]
2 of 6 (889 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 4, 2014 11:50:47 AM
(0)
Contributor
I tested it out and sure enough that popped up on the caller id. what I wonder is if we were sleeping how that happened.

3 of 6 (878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 4, 2014 11:52:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by BeeBeeSA on Jan 4, 2014 at 11:56:04 AM

I don't know if you saw my edit to my post.  Take a look at that.  That would be the only other way unless someone was sleeping on the remote control and just happened to get the right place!!!  LOL

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

[ Edited ]
4 of 6 (875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 4, 2014 1:15:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

I did see the edit after I sent the last message. Thank You for your help. :smileyhappy:

5 of 6 (860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 4, 2014 3:43:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Your Welcome!!  Stop back by if you have any additional questions!!

6 of 6 (845 Views)