Frohike's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, January 7th, 2012 2:24 AM

Closed

What happened to Fearnet?

I've been reading through the recent posts and even did a search, but couldn't find anything explaining what happened to Fearnet On-Demand.  One of the reasons I switched to Uverse was because Time Warner dropped it with no notice to subscribers and now Uverse seems to have done the same thing.  Apparently I missed the memo, so could someone tell me why Fearnet is gone?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

Fearnet On Demand has not been dropped.  I still see the videos:

MENU -->  On Demand --> Free Shows --> By Network --> D-G --> Fearnet

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks!  Ah, so they just moved it; it's always been listed under Free Shows-Cutting Edge-Fearnet.  Last month there was almost nothing being offered, and when I checked yesterday I noticed it was no longer there.  Tried doing a search on the AT&T Uverse website for it and got a no results found message.  I appreciate the help. Smiley Happy

Guru

• 

650 Messages

12 years ago

Just thinking out loud, nothing concrete yet:

With Comcast doing its own re-evaluation of their whole new world, they *may* end up putting FearNet on the scrapheap of history. Their whole purpose when they created it was to satisfy the sci-fi/horror niche that wasn't really being satisfied. Plus, it could be another moeny stream for them, since they were already successful in the E!, G4, Style, and own sports networks/regional news networks.

Originally, FearNet was supposed to be a full-time channel, like their others. It never seemed to materialize that way, as it was always only a VOD-platform placement -- and this was on their own systems. They finally convinced a couple carriers to take a full-time programmed channel, FiOS and Time Warner, but as TWC has started dropping the VOD portion, it looks like that might have been a trial-period only agreement (TWC has done that in the past with others as well). FiOS is not carrying the HD version, though, and in today's TV world, that's not really what Comcast wants. Comcast doesn't even HAVE the full-time channel on their OWN systems yet, and wouldn't you think that would be a priority before looking for other carriers to pick it up?

Before I left Comcast, they rolled out a HUGE movie selection under VOD "Free Movies", called "Premier Collection". There were more of the FearNet-genre selections in that section than there were under FearNet itself.

Comcast just pulled the plug on their Exercise TV VOD, probably due to higher licensing fees that they couldn't get the other cable systems to cough up to keep it going. As FearNet's movie vault is fed from the Lions Gate and Sony libraries, there isn't a whole lot of depth there, when it comes to true "A" list movies. Keep in mind that Sony/Lions Gate gets a whole lot more cash from letting the other Premium networks show their movies, plus Sony's trying to get its Sony Movie Channel to be carried on more cable systems. Comcast also has its hands full trying to turn their "crown jewel" NBC network around, so a whole lot of cash has to be thrown in that direction.

Not trying to be a fear-monger, but file this in the back of your mind for the day that FearNet disappears. It wouldn't be that surprising to see it happen, just because of the scope of Comcast's ventures, and readjusting priorities.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

12 years ago

@jbdet313 wrote:

With Comcast doing its own re-evaluation of their whole new world...

Clearly, they're not going to scrap Xfinity. I hear it's Comcastic.

Guru

• 

650 Messages

12 years ago

@bubbacrewjam wrote:

@jbdet313 wrote:

With Comcast doing its own re-evaluation of their whole new world...

Clearly, they're not going to scrap Xfinity. I hear it's Comcastic.

Smiley Very Happy

Even Time magazine last year said it was the most bone-headed move they made, with the whole "Xfinity" branding. Just trying to put a different shade of lipstick on the same tired old pig.

Still think the best Comcastic commercial was this one ... absolutely hilarious.

Guru

• 

365 Messages

12 years ago

Sad to say niche programming is dissapearing.

Thats why I loved Voom so much.

They provided something different

to watch.

I have not seen its equal today.

Usually something different not aimed at the masses will

go by the wayside.

Fearnet while ok  misses the boat.

Id love to see something like MonstersHD

Classic Sifi in HD.

Scholar

• 

101 Messages

12 years ago

When DISH dropped VOOM , I dropped DISH. MONSTERS HD, the best channel EVER!

Guru

• 

365 Messages

12 years ago

@dian1950 wrote:
When DISH dropped VOOM , I dropped DISH. MONSTERS HD, the best channel EVER!

Dish killed off Voom! I despise dish for doing that till this day.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Its not working on mine. Completely gone from free shows by network section 😞

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

This is an old topic.  Fearnet's contract apparently ran out, but it's supposed to return in the next 30 days.  Here's the most recent information.

http://forums.att.com/t5/U-Verse-General-Care-and-Support/where-is-fearnet-jan-2013/m-p/3394821/highlight/true#M16030

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.