For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
rloibl1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, July 12th, 2014 9:15 AM

Very poor video streaming performance

Lately I've been experiencing very poor performance when trying to watch videos on youtube, twitch, and netflix. In some cases a video will hang for several minutes before it loads, sometimes even when I'm only on 480p quality. I pay 80 dollars a month for a 24 mbps service, but I'm clearly not getting what I'm paying for. At this point I'm able to load video faster and smoother on my cellphones 4g/4g LTE network.

At my previous apartment I had a 20 mbps connection from another ISP, and I never had any issues with video. What's the deal, is anyone else experiencing similar issues, can anyone reccomend a way to improve video streaming performance?

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello @rloibl1 

Have you tried a speed test? Like speedtest.net, what speeds and latency numbers are you seeing? Video playback in not always affected by your internet connection, it can be a software or plug ins issue as well.

Do a speed test and see what speeds you can get, that should give you an idea if your connection is causing issues or something else.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I have the same problem.  I had Charter internet and switched to Uverse and now my streaming is terrible.  Rarely do I get HD quality streaming and it hangs up or is blurry.  I am a fan and loyal wireless customer of ATT but this internet is putting a bitter taste in my mouth.  Can AT&T improve their speed and bandwidth on my service?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Why doesn't uverse.com support hd streaming?

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

10 years ago

Is is safe to assume that you all went to the web sites for the various services and set up for HD?  I had to go to NetFlix's site and do that. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@bravewarrior wrote:

Why doesn't uverse.com support hd streaming?

The answer is, in general, It does.  The question is why isn't it working for you.  There could be many reasons:

• Wireless Interference (if you're connecting wirelessly)
  • Wiring issues in your home (if you're connected via Ethernet cable)
  • Competition for your Internet Connection from your home
  • Line issues between your RG and your VRAD
  • Choice of server based on your streaming device, the DNS you're using, etc.
  • contention entering AT&T's network based on time of day and usage of the same streaming service by others at that time

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I have posted in other places but I am having the same problem with HD streaming from Amazon Prime.  It seems to drop the HD stream or want to down grade it to SD in the evenings.  AT&T first said I did not have enough Internet speed but I am up to 12mbs now and the speed test confirm this even when I am having the interruptions.  At&T has given me a new Pace modem, no change, made changes to house wiring - no change, now they think it is the wiring from the house to the street.  That does not make sense if it works fine in the day and interrupts at night.

At&T either has a bandwidth probem in my area or overall in their network and will not admit to it.

I have been in IT for over 30 years and know a fair amount about networks and have lost my patience with them.  Giving them one last chance.

Also I call Amazon and they say they can see the drop in network speed when I have my interruptions or complete loss of the network.  They can tell you the movie your watching, time it occured and speed drop. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

@tomtracy wrote:

I have posted in other places but I am having the same problem with HD streaming from Amazon Prime.  It seems to drop the HD stream or want to down grade it to SD in the evenings.  AT&T first said I did not have enough Internet speed but I am up to 12mbs now and the speed test confirm this even when I am having the interruptions.  At&T has given me a new Pace modem, no change, made changes to house wiring - no change, now they think it is the wiring from the house to the street.  That does not make sense if it works fine in the day and interrupts at night.

At&T either has a bandwidth probem in my area or overall in their network and will not admit to it.

I have been in IT for over 30 years and know a fair amount about networks and have lost my patience with them.  Giving them one last chance.

Also I call Amazon and they say they can see the drop in network speed when I have my interruptions or complete loss of the network.  They can tell you the movie your watching, time it occured and speed drop. 

Are you watching the Amazon Instant Video on a PC or on some other device?  Is that device connected wired or wirelessly?  If wirelessly, have you tried to see if wired is any better?

I have had issues with Amazon Instant Video on a Samsung BluRay player.  Wireless was the pits.  Wired is much better.  I had no issues at all with wireless using Target's video application on the Samsung BluRay player.  Thus, I'm thinking the Amazon app on the Samsung has issues.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Wireless 30 feet from Pace Modem and sometimes 50 feet from modem.  Watch thru a Pansonic Plasma TV with the attached dongle for WFII connection.  Can watch multiple HD movies on either TV during the day.  Not at the sametime but at night have the interruption problems saying there is not sufficient bandwidth or the stream just stops and I have to start over.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

So... you have no real way of determining if the problem is one with the wireless connection or with your Internet connection overall.  That makes life harder.

Night could mean additional load on the content server, additional load on the content provider's network, additional congestion at a peering point coming into AT&T's network, a congestion issue within AT&T's network (which I've never seen any evidence of), interference with the incoming line in our near your home, or wireless interference caused by increased use of the 2.4 GHz band (baby monitors, cordless phones, neighbor's WiFi) due to everyone being home.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I have had Time Warner for years -- never had to set up anything for HD streaming. I am have lot's of problems with streaming anything - You Tube  Face Book - N E THING. I am seriously considering dropping this U-Verse - it cost WAY more and I get WAY LESS. Advertized speed of 45 Megos does ZERO good if streaming is bottlenecked. Of course ATT tells you it is everyone else's fault. In reality it is not 'everyone else' I pay my 200+ a month -- that's right over 200 a month to. It is ATT and U-VERSE that will soon be the losers.

Facebook broke up 15 times in one video -- maybe more. I never on a bad day had Time warner at a much slower speed ever break like ATT has done since DAY ONE.

Either fix it or lose another customer.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.