Posted Aug 15, 2010
UV Realtime Master Thread

U-Verse Realtime v1.4.1.0 is released.

The program (.exe installer) may be downloaded here.

If you have already installed v1.4.0.0 or earlier, you can install this version on top of it and it will upgrade.  Previous versions will also auto-update to this new version.

U-Verse Realtime is a standalone program that can retrieve information from a typical residential installation of the AT&T U-Verse IPTV system. Some of the information displayed consists of VDSL line analysis, network interface data rates, DVR information, and STB channel and stream information. This program requires that your U-Verse Residential Gateway (the 2Wire 3800HGV-B, 3801HGV, 3600HGV, or i3812V) be running firmware version 6.1.9.24 or 6.3.1.47 only. Previous versions will not work with this program.

U-Verse Realtime v1.4.1.0 is the evolution of the previous program, 2WireRealtime. The new features added to UVerse Realtime expand its functionality beyond simply looking at statistics from the 2Wire 3800HGV router, so the program was renamed to better reflect its scope. 2WireRealtime will not auto-update to U-Verse Realtime, you must download the new installer.

Fixes and New Features

• Fix program crash when user's line had a recommended profile of "No Svc"
  • Add Paypal Donate button to About tab (and thank you for your support!)
  • Add Aggregate / Line 1 / Line 2 stats label to bitloading graph for iNID (2Wire i3812V router)
  • Misc documentation updates
  • Channel database updates - Add 38 national channels, 143 local channels

As always, please post here with any problems or questions.

[Subject edited per poster's request] - pamelaz

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
772 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(772)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2011
(0)

SomeJoe, the new version looks real good. Thanks for the update!

One small thing that I noticed is on the Channel/Stream tab.  After selecting an Egress Profile of 0 SD/3 HD, the tabs shows that I have 4 Egress streams.  The total Egress streams should be 3.

Also, when using 2 Egress streams on non-DVR STB's, the Egress streams used count remains at 1.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: U-Verse Realtime Master Thread

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2011
(0)

Both of those are probably small bugs introduced when I changed the profile overrides to profile selections.  I'll look at the code, it's probably an easy fix.

With an update this major, I figured there would probably be a couple small bugs that would show up.  Once this version has been released for a while and I have any and all reports, I'll issue a minor update to 1.7.1.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2011
(0)

Thanks!  It looks real good.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 9, 2011
(0)

Will try it out later on the RG computer.  Many thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 9, 2011
(0)

Looking forward to seeing it when I get in the house as well.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 16, 2011
(0)

I understand in 1.7 that UVRT will report the channel automatically under specific circumstances, but in case I never get to those circumstances, here's the info for your DB

Stream: 239.192.62.23

Channel Name: CBET-9 (CBC)

Call Letters: CBET

Channel: 9

HD not available

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBET

Thanks Dan for your hard work! Keep it up.

[U-Verse Realtime] Channel Not In DB

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 16, 2011
(0)

To automatically report the channel, simply have U-Verse Realtime running with the Channels/Streams feature turned on, and then tune to that channel on the DVR.  The channel will be automatically submitted.

Channels tuned to on normal STB units cannot be submitted at this time.

Re: [U-Verse Realtime] Channel Not In DB

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 26, 2011
(0)

Have you had any reports about a possible malware infection in your newest release?  Whenever I try to install Realtime, Ad-Aware stops the process, warning of an infection by Trojan.win32.Generic!Bt?  Chances are, it's my problem - I always seem to attract lightning- but I thought I would ask before I overode Ad-Aware.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 26, 2011
(0)

Yes, there are a few anti-virus/anti-malware programs that are flagging the U-Verse Realtime installer as being infected.  This is a false positive, and you can safely ignore it.

If you like, please contact your anti-malware/anti-virus vendor and inform them of the false positive, they will remove it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2011
(0)

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Yes, there are a few anti-virus/anti-malware programs that are flagging the U-Verse Realtime installer as being infected.  This is a false positive, and you can safely ignore it.

OK, good news.  It looks like I found the problem on where this false positive virus warning is coming from.  Oddly enough, it's not from any of my code or open-source libraries that I'm using.  It's actually coming from the ZIP file self-extractor that I'm using to make the installation package.

It's odd, because if you do a scan with one of the anti-virus tools that flag it (Antiy-AVL, Commtouch, Jiangmin, K7AntiVirus, Norman, TheHacker, VIPRE, Ad-Aware), the installer itself is what gets flagged, but after the program is installed and the installer file is deleted, then your system scans perfectly clean.

On the next release, I'm going to switch to the WinZip self-extractor, which will completely eliminate the false positive.

Unfortunately, WinZip SE has a known issue with setup.exe files built by Visual Studio 2008, which is the version I'm using. :smileymad:  I'm going to have to upgrade to Visual Studio 2010 to get around the issue.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2011
(0)

Good job on the find. :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 1, 2011
(0)

Otay, I have successfully upgraded to Visual Studio 2010, rebuilt the installer package, and tested the WinZip self-extractor and it's now working. :smileyhappy:

Furthermore, the installer now scans clean in every anti-virus program. :smileyhappy:

I will replace the v1.7.0.0 installer that's available for download on the web site tonight with the newly-packaged version.  Note, this does not mean you need to upgrade or otherwise uninstall/reinstall if you already have v1.7.0.0 installed and running.  This is only to avoid all of the false positive virus warnings for new users.

One caveat: Visual Studio 2010 now sees fit to include portions of the .Net framework within the installer in case the user doesn't have the framework installed.  This increases the size of the installer from 5MB to 11MB, which kind of irks me, but there appears to be no avoiding it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 1, 2011
(0)

New installer (both .exe and .zip formats) is now up on the website.  This one now scans clean in all anti-virus programs, see the report from VirusTotal.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 1, 2011
(0)

We appreciate all of the time and work you put into this app SJ.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 2, 2011
(0)

I believe I have found a bug (as a developer myself not sure it even qualifies as bug, maybe just an annoyance) in the application when it is used on an iNID.  On the Error Table tab, when switching between Line 1 and Line 2, the tab flashes a number of times like as if it is refreshing the data shown multiple times (looks like multiple repaints).  Mind you this is a rather minor bug (or minor annoyance) and in no way diminishes the usability of the app, nor would it make me upset if it was never fixed.  I only noticed because it did not behave this way in version 1.6.

I do appreciate the hard work you have put into this application!

Brian

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 2, 2011
(0)

brexroth wrote:

I believe I have found a bug (as a developer myself not sure it even qualifies as bug, maybe just an annoyance) in the application when it is used on an iNID.  On the Error Table tab, when switching between Line 1 and Line 2, the tab flashes a number of times like as if it is refreshing the data shown multiple times (looks like multiple repaints).  Mind you this is a rather minor bug (or minor annoyance) and in no way diminishes the usability of the app, nor would it make me upset if it was never fixed.  I only noticed because it did not behave this way in version 1.6.

Actually, that issue appears no matter what 2Wire device is used, although it's easier to replicate on iNID installs since it will do it whenever you toggle from line 1 to line 2 or back.  It was introduced when additional value highlighting was added to the Error Table tab in v1.7.0.0.

This behavior is scheduled to be addressed in the next release.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2011
(0)

Some Joe, is there a possibility that you may some day release a Mac version of Realtime? I'm not a programmer, I have no clue how hard it is to write a PC program to work in Mac OS X. If it is at all possible, I would glady be willing to donate on your site. I'm sure I'm not the only Mac household with U-Verse that would be happy to have your application too.

The past couple of weeks I have been having bad issues with my U-Verse TV and internet cutting out/running really slow when it rains.

I've called AT&T and someone came out, but it was not raining and the service was perfectly fine. The tech looked around outside, then came inside and looked at my stuff. I explained the situation, and he looked at me like I was crazy and packed up and left. Everytime it rains however, I get either red light dissconnects; or my internet speeds drop in half or worse. I work from home, so my internet is a very important aspect of being able to do my job properly.

We have U-Verse TV U450 with HD, and the Max Turbo 24 internet. The profile we are on is the 0/4 HD one. When the internet slows down from the rain, speed tests show it's running at 3-5. Normally, when there is no rain, it easily tops out at around 20-22. I have no way to prove to them that something is wrong, and sadly this winter has gone on forever it seems. Now instead of snow the area I live in has been litterally drenched with rain, and these problems started occuring. 

Thank you for your time,

Beth

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2011
(0)

Unfortunately, I know very little about Macs, much less how their programming environments work.  U-Verse Realtime is written in the Microsoft .Net environment, which only exists on Windows machines.  I suspect porting it to the Mac might be more difficult than it sounds.  U-Verse Realtime relies on several open-source libraries like WinPCap that would be used very differently on the Mac.

At this time, my recommendation for Mac users is to run the program in a virtual machine, where the VM is running Windows XP or higher.  I have had reports from people that this works using Parallels, VMware Fusion, or VirtualBox.

As far as your line, obviously water is getting into something, so you need a line tech to come find the problem.  You should call technical support, have them send a premises tech to your house to check the line.  He should open a helper ticket with the Installation and Maintenance group (I&M), which are the linesmen, to come find the problem.  If you continue to have issues, please start a new thread in the Equipment forum.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2011
(0)
Some Joe, thank you for all the information. I'll check into doing XP on my Mac with the Boot Camp partition thingy.

I'll call back AT&T again and tell them what you said. I'm hoping this time I can explain it better, last time they seemed to think it raining could not be a problem.

Again, thank you very much.
Beth

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 9, 2011
(0)

SomeJoe/Dan, could you give me some more info. on the "BitLoading" tab?  Am having some AM interference problems and a tech is coming tomorrow to maybe place some filters. How often is the bitloading graph updated? (In the 3800 and in your program?) I want to add some grounding points (ie. at the cable coax/multiplex box, etc.), and I want to make sure that I am "seeing" the results properly.   Thanks in advance!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 9, 2011
(0)

UVRT updates the bitloading graph every 5 minutes.  The 2Wire RG updates it somewhat more often than that, although I do not know the exact timing.

You can force UVRT to update it if you quit the program and relaunch it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2011
(0)

SomeJoe, I wanted to request a feature in the next version of u-Verse realtime. I'd be nice to relabel the ethernet interfaces on the interfaces tab. That way I could rename Ethernet 1 to Livingroom PC etc.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2011
(0)

whoknew89 wrote:

SomeJoe, I wanted to request a feature in the next version of u-Verse realtime. I'd be nice to relabel the ethernet interfaces on the interfaces tab. That way I could rename Ethernet 1 to Livingroom PC etc.

I will look at adding that.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 31, 2011
(0)

Hi - not sure I'm reporting a bug with your program or my computer... but here's my story.  When I run the program, I get nothing on the "Channel/Stream" page except a "green light" and status of connected.  Secondly, it won't run at all after a reboot.  Specifically, I install the program, run it with the above limited success, but after a reboot, when I attempt to run Realtime, I just get the splash screen followed by Windows saying the program has stopped running....

Any ideas?

Thanks.

What to look at on a system it won't work right

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 31, 2011
(0)

mohoelx2 wrote:

Hi - not sure I'm reporting a bug with your program or my computer... but here's my story.  When I run the program, I get nothing on the "Channel/Stream" page except a "green light" and status of connected.  Secondly, it won't run at all after a reboot.  Specifically, I install the program, run it with the above limited success, but after a reboot, when I attempt to run Realtime, I just get the splash screen followed by Windows saying the program has stopped running....

For the crashing problem, please do the following:

1. Remove UVRT.

2. Remove all versions of the .Net framework from your computer.

3. Reinstall v2.0 and v3.5 of the .Net framework.  You can also install v4.0 if you want, but it's not required for UVRT.  You don't need v1.x.

4. Reinstall UVRT.

If you continue to have issues, please take a look at the following threads:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25612408-Can-t-get-Uverserealtime-v-1.7.0.0-to-install

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25479037-U-Verse-realtime-problem.

For the channels/streams problem, make sure your computer is connected directly to the U-Verse 2Wire RG.  If your computer is behind your own router, the channels/streams feature will not detect any channels.

Re: What to look at on a system it won't work right

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 1, 2011
(0)

Thanks for the guidance, but turns out to be a simpler solution.  This problem *may* stem from my installing Virtual Machine software, but not sure the sequence of all that.  However, today when looking at it again, I noticed on the "Configuration / Additional Features" tab that Network Interface adapter was set to Network adapter " 'VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter' on local host" which seemed odd, since I am running Windows 7 as my host.  I set it back to " Network adapter 'Microsoft' on local host" and Realtime started working again. 

Curious, but much more simple than re-loading all the .NET stuff! :smileytongue:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 1, 2011
(0)

Ah, OK.  That makes sense.

VMware Player and Workstation installs two "faux" network adapters on the host to facilitate communication between the host and the guests.  When those network adapters were added, UVRT attempted to use one of them for Channels/Streams, which of course didn't work.

I think what I will do in the next version of the software is I will allow the user to start the program up with default settings by holding down some keys during startup.  This would have gotten around your issue because the default settings would have Channels/Streams turned off.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 5, 2011
(0)

First time coming across this thread, I only have UVerse internet.... would this be beneficial to me even without having UVerse TV.

I'm not real computer literate therefore in plain english what does this program do?

Reason I'm here, I have had the 6-12 Mbps for four years but recently have noticed a slowdown and upgraded to 18.  It's fast but not what I was really expecting, it isn't the eye popping performance and sometimes lags.  I'm running Windows Vista.

Thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 6, 2011
(0)

Yes, give it a shot.

You'll have access to seeing errors, interfaces (connections at RG), and possible noise on your line.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2011
(0)

I have an ongoing issue with the picture on my Motorola VIP 1225 box freezing up and I have to reset the box to clear the issue. The box has been changed out without resolving the problem. O have CAT5 running from the side of the house to the gateway and coax inside. I can't get the screenshot from realtime to upload here. Can you tell me what info I need to be looking for? Thanks for any help you can provide.