Posted Jul 30, 2011
8:31:48 AM
View profile
U-Verse TV keeps freezing
Edited by ShaunMN on Jul 30, 2011 at 9:01:23 AM

I have had  U-verse TV and Internet for several years throughout which I've had problems with the TV picture freezing and then losing connection. When this happens, my Internet goes out as well. I've rebooted the system and it works for a while. Techs have been out numerous times and temporarily fixed the problem only to have it re-occur later on down the road. This is extremely frustrating and I'm considering going back to my old cable company and using ATT DSL for my Internet. In those days, I had no such problems.

I've had the router and DVR replaced twice. My DVR sits on top of my DVD/VCR combo player. My computer is in a room other than my TV but nearby. The latest malfunction was last night. This morning it seems to be working....for now... but the thought of a shutdown always looms. My next door neighbor has Uverse and doesn't experience these problems.

Any suggestions?

[subject edited as new topic was created] -moderator

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 5, 2011 5:18:17 AM
(0)
Teacher

I did as I was asked and the bottom line is that a tech came to my house the next day and repaced the adapter which he said was old. All was working when he came and working when he left. I suggested that I be put on a different terminal. The next day I received a call from an outside tech who did the terminal thing after which nothing worked. He remained here all day conferring with Texas ATT, his supervisor came here as well, etc. The TX person said that her screen showed I was up and running when in fact nothing was running...no TV, no Internet. I was told that between the hours of midnight and 5:00 AM today, a NEW CARD WOULD BE PHYSICALLY PLACED IN THE TERMINAL BOX. Sure enough, all is well again and my TV and Internet are working fine. What an ordeal but the solution started with this board and for that I'm grateful.

Many thanks to all who worked so hard on the problem. Happy.....for now!

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
20 replies
(4) Me too
(4) Me too
Replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2011 10:07:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Can you download and install SomeJoe's tool at the link below?

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

Once you install the tool, please post screenshots of the following tabs: IP/ProfileError Table, Bitloading, & Coax/HPNA.

We can take a look at the screenshots to see if there appears to be any issues with your system.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: U-Verse TV keeps freezing

2 of 21 (13,928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2011 8:15:45 PM
(0)
Teacher

I downloaded what you asked and accessed the stats but have no idea as to how to post the results to this board. I saved the results as documents and tried to simply copy them and post but was unable to do so. Please help. Thanks.

3 of 21 (13,861 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2011 8:27:48 PM
(0)
Expert

For each tab on the software, you can click the "Save screenshot" button to save a screenshot of that tab.  It gets saved as a PNG graphics file.

On this forum, post a new message to this thread.  Use the Insert Image button in the editor toolbar (it looks like this: ) which will ask you for the filename to upload.

You can insert multiple images into the same post by using this button more than once.

4 of 21 (13,857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2011 8:49:35 PM
(0)
Teacher

rd error table.pngrd bitloading.pngrd ip profile.png

5 of 21 (13,850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2011 8:50:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'll try the coax again but I couldn't really access it like the others.

6 of 21 (13,850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2011 8:55:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

There's a glitch in running the coax so I copied what I could:

Detailed Wireless AP Statistics
Packets transmitted:1630484
Packets received:761837
Bytes transmitted:2289022645
Bytes received:91534568
Error packets transmitted:2
Error packets received:0
Discards transmitted:15
Discards received:0
HomePNA Network (Coax)
Firmware Version:D-UCv1-9-2-20090217-ATT.bin
Firmware Signature:8182d9128bd440e3fc7677367fc25598
HPNA Physical Link:DOWN
Network Mode:SYNCHRONOUS

NodeID MTU Mac Address
HPNA Network Performance Management Data

Data Collection Time:

HPNA Network Current Multicast Rate (Mbps): 0

Station to Station HPNA PerformancePHY Rate (Mbps)SNR (dB)Rx Power Level - dBPacket Error
HPNA Statistics

Mac Address
HPNA Firmware (C=coax, T=TP)
HPNA Version
Master

Interval from 23:29 to 23:44
Short Tx Pkt
Short Rx Pkt
CRC Errors Rx
Dropped Tx
Dropped Rx
Tx Error %
Rx Error %
Frames Tx
Frames Rx
Bytes Tx
Bytes Rx
Unicast Tx
Unicast Rx
Multicast Tx
Multicast Rx
Local Ctrl Requests
Local Ctrl Replies
Remote Ctrl Requests
Remote Ctrl Replies

Interval from 23:14 to 23:29
Short Tx Pkt
Short Rx Pkt
CRC Errors Rx
Dropped Tx
Dropped Rx
Tx Error %
Rx Error %
Frames Tx
Frames Rx
Bytes Tx
Bytes Rx
Unicast Tx
Unicast Rx
Multicast Tx
Multicast Rx
Local Ctrl Requests
Local Ctrl Replies
Remote Ctrl Requests
Remote Ctrl Replies

Station ID
Local (Coax)
c0:83:0a:ca:97:49
C
1.9.2 Cv1-9-2-20090217

7 of 21 (13,852 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2011 8:59:03 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for your help in posting the results of the scan. Also, my TV and Internet have both been working fine yesterday and today but  I'm still afraid that it'll freeze. Guess I'm gun shy.

8 of 21 (13,852 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2011 6:51:23 AM
(0)
Teacher

Shortly after I posted my last entry, I lost Internet connection and a little later regained it. Oh brother!

9 of 21 (13,830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2011 7:27:16 AM
(0)
Expert

Well, there definitely appears to be some sort of line problem, the error table shows a gigantic number of errors that have occurred on your line.  That's not normal.  However, all of the errors are from more than 24 hours ago, which means that they're occurring only intermittently and in bursts.  This points to some sort of interference issue.

You should contact tier 2 and have them send a senior tech that can look for and eliminate these sources of interference. Possible sources include:

* Power line interference, such as:
* Fluorescent light ballasts
* High-intensity gas discharge lights like mercury vapor
* Grounding problems, such as improper ground at the NID, the pedestal, etc.
* Electrical system grounding problems, such as improper ground on the RG's outlet, the breaker panel, etc.
* HAM radio broadcasts in the HF band
* AM radio transmissions, such as a nearby radio station

Try to isolate any potential source of these problems and see if you can find one that eliminates the interference.

10 of 21 (13,827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2011 8:00:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thank you so much for your time and help. I just sent an email to uversecare@att.com with a copy of your last response suggesting I ask that a senior tech contact me for a home visit to resolve the problem.

11 of 21 (13,439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 5, 2011 5:18:17 AM
(0)
Teacher

I did as I was asked and the bottom line is that a tech came to my house the next day and repaced the adapter which he said was old. All was working when he came and working when he left. I suggested that I be put on a different terminal. The next day I received a call from an outside tech who did the terminal thing after which nothing worked. He remained here all day conferring with Texas ATT, his supervisor came here as well, etc. The TX person said that her screen showed I was up and running when in fact nothing was running...no TV, no Internet. I was told that between the hours of midnight and 5:00 AM today, a NEW CARD WOULD BE PHYSICALLY PLACED IN THE TERMINAL BOX. Sure enough, all is well again and my TV and Internet are working fine. What an ordeal but the solution started with this board and for that I'm grateful.

Many thanks to all who worked so hard on the problem. Happy.....for now!

12 of 21 (13,395 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2011 6:55:58 AM
(0)
Expert
Cool, glad everything's working!

13 of 21 (13,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 8:07:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

My problem is similar.  I haven't had U-verse very long.  Now I have two channels where the picture freezes after about 15 seconds.  I can change channels, go back to it, and the picture is fine again... until it freezes up again after another 15 seconds.  This only happens on two of my channels, INSP and TVLAND.  If I leave it on the frozen channel long enough I get the blue screen telling me the signal has been lost. 

I spoke with tech support and went through all the steps cited on the blue screen.  Tech support finally decided my receiver must be bad so they sent me a new one.  Got the new receiver installed and the problem persists.  The tech support people I've spoken with make it sound like they'll charge me extra $$$ to come out to my condo to fix the problem.  Personally, I don't think that's right; it's not good customer service in my book, particularly since I haven't been with AT&T very long (and Time Warner is already "courting" my business again).

I think the problem is either a bad cable or something outside isn't connected as well as it should be.  It's just plain weird that only two channels are affected.

I should point out that I have wireless as well, and I don't seem to have any problems with that working as it should.  I plan on calling tech support AGAIN tomorrow.  If they don't come out here and fix the problem I will be registering a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

14 of 21 (9,725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 8:33:29 PM
(0)
Employee
Sorry to hear of your unpleasant experience, are these the main channels you watch?
If lossing sync should happen on any channels, if interference should also happen on any channels.

Tech support is required to inform you of possible charges, this is normal business practice and not meant to offend.
Are you experiencing this issue on multiple TVs or just one, or do you only have one?
Bad inside cable possible billable, do you have the wire maintenance plan? If issue is outside non billable.

Can you download UV real time and post pics? http://www.uvrealtime.com/

How long is not very long, days, weeks, months? If install was recent (within past 30 days)
Do you have the contact number for the tech who did your install and see if they could run some tests remotely or come back for a followup visit.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

15 of 21 (9,716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2013 6:05:38 PM
(0)
Voyager

Here are our screen shots. We get repeated freezes when watching most dvr'd programs...

Thanks in advance for any help!Stats-2013-08-10-17-47-44.pngErrorTable-2013-08-10-17-48-03.pngBitloading-2013-08-10-17-48-17.pngCoaxHPNA-2013-08-10-17-48-27.png

16 of 21 (9,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2013 8:42:17 PM
(0)
Employee
We get repeated freezes when watching most dvr'd programs...

Do you experience the same with live TV? If no only recorded programs, the new box shipped, was DVR.
After installing did you do a factory reset of DVR?

WARNING: the following will erase all recordings.
FR .... depress and hold power button, depress and hold OK and DOWN button same time...hold all three for ten seconds, release power button
Continue to hold OK/DOWN till center lights flash three times, release should see single gear on TV screen,then an upload bar, followed by second gear, then reboot. Total time about 10 minutes. Wait another 5 minutes for all software screens (guide/recordings) to load. The try record ch 1800, playback. Still issue, no continue to monitor.

Additionally can check cable connections between RG and set top box as well set top to tv. If cabling issue should happen regardless of channel, live TV or recorded.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

17 of 21 (9,341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 6:19:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

I've had U-Verse 3-6 months.  No those aren't the main channels I watch, but they happen to be my sister's favorites.  Now ION and CLOO are doing it, although not as often as TVLAND and INSP.  INSP does it all the time.  I have two TVs.  Can't reach the box on the one in my bedroom (it's near my ceiling, mounted on top of my TV)  The issue happens on both TVs.  Went through the whole phone-in test sequence with tech support.  Tried having a new box installed on main TV in den (but didn't try replacing the one in bedroom... like I said... can't reach it, and frankly... I'm too old to try)  Honestly?  For what I'm paying each month, it should work...period.  And since I'm not able to watch several channels that I'm paying for I think the problem should be fixed for free because I haven't been refunded a penny.  Never had this issue with Time Warner.  It seems to me if you keep losing the signal, then the problem is outside, not inside.

18 of 21 (9,038 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 7:31:03 PM
(0)
Employee
Hello and welcome, which RG do you have? Are other services affected,internet or phones?
How are the boxes connected coax, cat5, wireless?

You talk about doing it, and it happening all the time but do not say what IT is, please?

If other services are good and issue is with tv service only especially if on coax then issue is inside.
If all services affected, could you download uvrealtime and post screen shots. http://www.uvrealtime.com/

19 of 21 (9,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 7:29:19 PM
(0)
Voyager

Hello. I have been a U-Verse costumer for about 2-3 months. Well, last month, this problem started happening with one of my wireless receivers. This is also the time that I asked AT&T to lower the bill ($300+ for all 3 services per month is too much for us). After this, one of the receivers started acted up and disconnecting every 5-60 minutes. I have tried everything possible to get this fixed: resetted the receiver like 1,000 times, unplug and replug the receiver, unplugged the U-Verse Router and replugged it, unplugged the modem that supports the wireless link from the main one, unplugged the main receiver and tech appointments; all of which didn't fix anything and I'm not forking over $98 everytime AT&T comes out here to fix something that's supposed to be nearly 100% perfect the first time they install services. As you may figure, this is one of the wireless receivers that are having the problems, so I should be able to move it anywhere in my house with *little/no* problems. Before the event mentioned above happened, the receiver was working just fine. I contacted AT&T about this problem about 2 confirmed times and one of the operators was going to send us a new receiver, but for some reason, he couldn't send it, so he sent a tech out here and the tech temporary fixed it then it happened again, so what can I do about this problem? This is making me very disappointed and making me lose my patience with the TV service. All other services are working great and all other TVs in the house (2 excluding mine) are working near perfect. I want to get this over with asap. 

20 of 21 (8,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 9:43:13 PM
(0)
Employee
As you have two wireless receivers, correct, have you tried swapping the receivers only locations to see if problem follows receiver or says at original location.
If follows receiver, need swapped. If problem continues at original location then possible flaky power supply, or cable to tv (hdmi?), or interference with wireless signal.
Please swap wifi receivers, and post resulrs.

21 of 21 (8,699 Views)