For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
dhascall's profile

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

Friday, December 19th, 2014 4:54 PM

Two weeks until CBS flips locally in Indy. What about the CW?

For a brief overview, look here.

On Jan 1, 2015 at the stroke of Midnight (or the drop of the ball), CBS will move from WISH-TV (8./1008) to WTTV (4/1004).  The U-Verse Guide is now showing 1/1/2015 and I am seeing CBS programming on WTTV.

Network flips don't happen very often - so it's kinda rare.  My question for this part, is there some back end work done by AT&T, where CBS DVR series will automatically migrate from 8/1008 to 4 or 1004?  If not, some unsuspecting subs could miss their series.

The next issue is the CW.  Presently, WTTV shows the CW.  It was announced back this summer that the CW would move to WTTV 4.2.  I have seen no evidence that U-Verse is picking up this subchannel - not surprising as far as UV and subchannels go.  The real rub is that Hart of Dixie had over 1 million viewers last week!  

Read what WTTV has to say on the switch, here.  It does appear that they are trying to get the CW carried.

The last network switch in Indy was 1979, with 6 and 13 flipping NBC and ABC.  Before that, the last was in the early 60's!

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

9 years ago

The last switch in St. Louis was in pre-sub channel days on August 7, 1995. KTVI Channel 2 which was ABC swapped networks with KDNL Channel 30 which was Fox. I still cannot get used to it.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

9 years ago

The last one I can remember in my area was when The CW started up. We had UPN and The WB on the same channel slot...so that a show that aired Wednesday at 9:30 on UPN might not have been seen until Friday at 8:30 or whatever.

So yeah, the creation of The CW actually benefitted us...not that I watch that channel.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

9 years ago

@dwinth wrote:

The last switch in St. Louis was in pre-sub channel days on August 7, 1995. KTVI Channel 2 which was ABC swapped networks with KDNL Channel 30 which was Fox. I still cannot get used to it.

I was 17 when the 1979 ABC/NBC flip happened and I was hurt.  I could not believe that a greedy corporation would do that.  Boy did I learn something that year.  It kind of backfired on WRTV, as ABC started slipping and NBC rose a 10 year high, after that.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

Last one we've had in metro Detroit was the 1994 WJBK 2 switching from CBS to Fox when Fox bought the station.  So CBS struck out on many other stations in Detroit and had to settle to buy low power WGPR 62 from the black masons, one of the only black owned stations in the US.

They were all for it getting a big payday, but a number of individuals tried to block the sale and was not decided until CBS won in the courts in 1996.

CBS had to toss tons of money into WWJ-TV 62 in equipment and broadcast facilities.  It was funny they promised to have news operations up and running quickly, but that never occurred.

Turns out the switch was all about Fox getting the right to NFL games, before the sales/buys, only 3 teams were on Fox stations, after, almost all of them were on Fox stations. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

@dhascall-

RE: My question for this part, is there some back end work done by AT&T, where CBS DVR series will automatically migrate from 8/1008 to 4 or 1004?

Of course not.

First the structure is not there to do it & second (also because) it hardly ever happens. As you said.

I will speculate that one of two things will happen -

Nothing will change & the wrong shows will be recorded.

or

The channel ID will be removed & the series record will remain, but not be viable, resulting in no recordings scheduled.

My suggestion is that you check the DVR scheduled & your favorites guide each day for a week to reset for the future. Alternatively, you can run down the series list for changes & perhaps clean up any obsolete listings.

If you have any listings with no recordings scheduled you can remove them unless it is a series that will return.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

9 years ago

Well shut my mouth!  Talk about a last second deal; The CW will be coming to WISH TV, on Jan 1st!

Every announcement that I've seen since August has said that the CW will move to WTTV 4.2.  An AT&T manager (trough another) said early on that WISH may get the CW.  I said to myself "no way" since CBS (a major stakeholder) burned bridges with WISH TV and vice versa but all is good and no subchannel drama for Indianapolis.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

9 years ago

Currently (as of 12/27), WISH TV's post New Year's Guide entries are showing as CBS's, as are WTTV's.  i.e. Monday 1/5 WTTV is showing with Mike and Molly and so is WISH TV.  Oops.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.