texasguy37's profile

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

Thursday, May 10th, 2012 7:02 PM

Time Warner Cable Sports to Tip Off Lakers-Centric RSNs on Oct. 1

It will be interesting to see what type of carriage issues arise with these new sports channels.  Here is an excerpt from the article found in the link below:

It's official now: Time Warner Cable will tip off its two regional sports networks, centering on the Los Angeles Lakers, on Oct. 1.

The largest MSO in Los Angeles will bow Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Spanish-language RSN Time Warner Cable Deportes, which will have its own production team and programming sensibilities, shortly before the National Basketball Association begins its 2012-13 season, according to Time Warner Cable Sports president David Rone.

The foundation for the services was established in February 2011, when Time Warner Cable secured local rights to the Lakers -- whose games have been televised by Fox Sports West and KCAL-TV -- for a 20-year period in a deal that is reportedly valued at $3 billion. Since then, Time Warner Cable Sports also gained rights to the defending Major League Soccer champion Los Angeles Galaxy and the WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks.

Rone, in an interview, said Time Warner Cable counts some 2 million customers in the RSNs' territory that extends from "Fresno to the north, the Mexican border to the south, east to Palm Springs and Las Vegas, and Hawaii to the west." All told, those areas encompass some 6 million TV homes.

Rone said that he, senior vice president and general manager of Time Warner Cable Sports Regional Networks Mark Shuken and Dan Finnerty, the senior vice president of Time Warner Cable Sports, who heads affiliate sales, recently began discussions with potential distributors.

"We have not had many of them, they literally began last week. In between now and the NCTA Cable Show [which starts May 21 in Boston}, we will have gotten in front of all of the MVPDs that we need to speak to. I'm stressing MVPDs because we're speaking to MSOs, satellite companies and telcos."

Rone would not discuss pricing. Published reports have placed the ask at $3.50 per subscriber for the pair of networks. For his part, ISI Group analyst Vijay Jayant pegs the price at $2.50 per month per subscriber.

A former  executive at Fox Sports, CAA and Evolution Media Capital, Rone did say Time Warner Cable Sports' distribution game plan calls for equal footing for the services.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/484345-Time_Warner_Cable_Sports_to_Tip_Off_Lakers_Centric_RSNs_on_Oct_1.php

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

11 years ago

I love how these One Post One and Done people make their threats such as with the Lakers's channel. They make their threats to leave U-Verse because of a brand new channel that only two providers have at this time.

I am sure AT&T will immediately roll over because of their threats, and sign contracts just to please these people.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

When will you be adding espn 3d and the laker channel to the line up?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

@kenyaata wrote:

When will you be adding espn 3d and the laker channel to the line up?

ESPN 3D came and went due to lack of content and corresponding lack of interest.

I would think a Lakers channel would see much the same fate.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

ESPN 3D came and went due to lack of content and corresponding lack of interest.

I would think a Lakers channel would see much the same fate. 

The "Lakers' Channel" that people are referring to really isn't a Lakers channel.  Time Warner Cable SportsNet is a new regional sports channel which launched on October 1st.  The new RSN has acquired the rights to the Los Angeles Lakers' games.  As with any other RSN, there will be also be non-Lakers programming broadcast on that channel.

Scholar

• 

177 Messages

11 years ago

The channel will also carry the L.A. Galaxy and L.A. Sparks

Scholar

• 

177 Messages

11 years ago

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

FSSD has been around a lot longer than TWC's new channel.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I was told today they dont have enough requests to get it, but they could easily if everyone reading this goes to:

http://uversechannels.att.com/ and requests the channel. Totally lame but I suggest if you read this you do it....

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I am an ATT and T U-verse subscriber, but probably not for long.  I was DISGUSTED when I made a phone call to At and T Uverse and the person who answered the phone did NOT KNOW who the LOS ANGELES LAKERS was.  How disgusting is that?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

The Los Angles who?  There's not a lake near LA.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.