texasguy37's profile

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

Thursday, May 10th, 2012 7:02 PM

Time Warner Cable Sports to Tip Off Lakers-Centric RSNs on Oct. 1

It will be interesting to see what type of carriage issues arise with these new sports channels.  Here is an excerpt from the article found in the link below:

It's official now: Time Warner Cable will tip off its two regional sports networks, centering on the Los Angeles Lakers, on Oct. 1.

The largest MSO in Los Angeles will bow Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Spanish-language RSN Time Warner Cable Deportes, which will have its own production team and programming sensibilities, shortly before the National Basketball Association begins its 2012-13 season, according to Time Warner Cable Sports president David Rone.

The foundation for the services was established in February 2011, when Time Warner Cable secured local rights to the Lakers -- whose games have been televised by Fox Sports West and KCAL-TV -- for a 20-year period in a deal that is reportedly valued at $3 billion. Since then, Time Warner Cable Sports also gained rights to the defending Major League Soccer champion Los Angeles Galaxy and the WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks.

Rone, in an interview, said Time Warner Cable counts some 2 million customers in the RSNs' territory that extends from "Fresno to the north, the Mexican border to the south, east to Palm Springs and Las Vegas, and Hawaii to the west." All told, those areas encompass some 6 million TV homes.

Rone said that he, senior vice president and general manager of Time Warner Cable Sports Regional Networks Mark Shuken and Dan Finnerty, the senior vice president of Time Warner Cable Sports, who heads affiliate sales, recently began discussions with potential distributors.

"We have not had many of them, they literally began last week. In between now and the NCTA Cable Show [which starts May 21 in Boston}, we will have gotten in front of all of the MVPDs that we need to speak to. I'm stressing MVPDs because we're speaking to MSOs, satellite companies and telcos."

Rone would not discuss pricing. Published reports have placed the ask at $3.50 per subscriber for the pair of networks. For his part, ISI Group analyst Vijay Jayant pegs the price at $2.50 per month per subscriber.

A former  executive at Fox Sports, CAA and Evolution Media Capital, Rone did say Time Warner Cable Sports' distribution game plan calls for equal footing for the services.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/484345-Time_Warner_Cable_Sports_to_Tip_Off_Lakers_Centric_RSNs_on_Oct_1.php

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Curious if Uverse is in any type of negotations with Time Warner to give it's Southern California customers the ability to watch Laker games. I don't know if they realize how much they are alienating there customers by not so much as commenting on the issue. As the preseason starts next week. I know almost any Laker fan will abandon ship from Uverse if they are not contractually bound to Uverse. And may do so sooner just to ensure they have the TWC Sportsnet channel by the team the regular season begins. Instead of waiting until the last minute, like I'm guessing Uverse will do to try and negotiate,  we will act sooner and it may be too late by the time Uverse decides to take the plunge, with many of us already gone to make sure we don't miss our games by switching at the last minute.

Any word Uverse? Give us our Lakers!

- Steven Do

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Unless Uverse reaches an agreement with SportsNet...

the network goes live tonight... First preseason game is Sunday. 

If time warner is requesting 3 95 for the channel.  Pay it. 

Not sure UVerse understand the wrath of Lakers fans 

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

@Michaelmaxwell2012 wrote:

Let's say your number is right (which I doubt, but just for the sake of argument).  Let's say the network requires it to be carried on AT&T's lowest non-lifeline tier, i.e. U-200.  AT&T probably has 3,000,000 subs at U-200 or above  So, that's about $12,000,000 per month.

So, you want AT&T to pay $144,000,000 a year so you can watch a Lakers game 7 months out of the year?  I don't want my bill to go up $3.95 a month so you can watch the Lakers. Smiley Mad

Actually, AT&T needs to way the costs against what it stands to gain or keep in terms of viewership.  I really won't be mad if they add it.  However, the threats from the various sports fans saying "pay whatever they want for Xxxxx channel or else" are getting motononous.

Guru

• 

785 Messages

11 years ago

More reasons to hate LA Galaxy and The Lakers

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

11 years ago

As of right now NO ONE has this channel other then TimeWarner. No satellites, or tele co's. So don;t complain until other major service providers have it and U-Verse doesn't.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@Michaelmaxwell2012 wrote:

Unless Uverse reaches an agreement with SportsNet...

the network goes live tonight... First preseason game is Sunday. 

Not sure UVerse understand the wrath of Lakers fans 

You obvisiously don't understand a business needs either.  If your number is anywhere near correct, that $3.95 starts adding up quickly.  Now if they want to put in on a premium tier where lakers fans can pay for it, then I'm all for it. I, as well as the majority of the country, wouldn't want their bill to go up by $4 for a team they don't care about or care to watch.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

This is just one customer complaint, but I know I speak for many!

I've been a loyal AT&T subscriber for almost 5 years, and I even went with you when we moved!  I have U-350 service package with upgraded internet service and movie packages not included.  I'm spending money with you guys.

Take it for what it is, but if you guys do NOT work out a deal with TWC to carry the Laker home games, I will absolutely, positively cancel my service with you guys.  I'm not contractually obligated so I can walk away.  Do many of your subscribers a favor, work something out so everyone stays happy and we can keep watching our Lakers!

Regards,

A One-Legged Puerto Rican

[word filter avoidance]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I'm in San Diego and I'm really disappointed with the sports service that at&t is providing for Southern California fans.  I should've done my homework on what sports channels were offered.  No Lakers No Pac-12 but we do have Big-10 and the Longhorn Network.  I am in California and I can careless about the Big 10 and the Longhorn Network.  At&t needs to provide sports programming for their customers in California.  If they don't add these channels by basketball season I will be going back to Cox.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@jusplayin619 wrote:

I'm in San Diego and I'm really disappointed with the sports service that at&t is providing for Southern California fans.  I should've done my homework on what sports channels were offered.  No Lakers No Pac-12 but we do have Big-10 and the Longhorn Network.  I am in California and I can careless about the Big 10 and the Longhorn Network.  At&t needs to provide sports programming for their customers in California.  If they don't add these channels by basketball season I will be going back to Cox.

And you will still not have the Lakers, so far NO provider has a contract with TWC for the Lakers.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I understand business needs.  I also understand that The Los Angeleds Lakers are one of the most valuable franchises in all of sports.  They are an international brand.  Smaller regional networks command a very simialar price. I understand that sports networks have increased the able bill of everyone who doesn;t watch sports.  I completely get that.  IMHO customers should be able to purchase these networks a la carte (liek Fox Soccer channel)  I would willingly pay 3.95 personally for my laker games.  

But this is where ATT/Verizon. TWC/comacast and all the other guys run the game their way.  Yes netwroks (Turner TW) shove certain channels down cable companies throats by refusing to package certain channels.  This is extremely common.  

ATT doesn't want indivual a la carte cable channels.  BC people wouldn;t subscribe to 90% of channels.  Nor would most media companies,  then they'd be forced to produce quality programming. 

anyway

i am not alone

you think i'm kidding that lakers fanbs will revolt.. try it.. 

uverse will bleed customers

especially with this team

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.