Posted Jul 6, 2013
Subwoofer issues - slioping with u-verse only

My U-verse VIP 2250 box is connected to an Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver (5 channel with sub woofer).  I use an Infinity PS210 subwoofer.   The subwoofer works fine with the PS3, the tuner, and the internet radio.

However with most U-verse TV stations there is a clipping sound and more recently a buzzing and clicking.

It is random and intermittent. The green light on back of the sub is on (most of the time i look) so it appears to get a signal.

I am trying to determine if the issue is the subwoofer or something else but it works fine with all inputs (same input cord) except U-verse.

Seems the trouble has worsened over the past months.  I think it was present a bit before they changed my receiver (months ago).

Thoughts or tips on how to trouble shoot?

I rather not spend the money just yet to trouble shoot the subwoofer unless I can eliminate the U-verse signal.

Thx.

Subwoofer issues - slioping with u-verse only

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2013
(0)

You might want to check to make sure the audio on the receiver is set to "Surround Sound".  Default is Stereo.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Subwoofer issues - slioping with u-verse only

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2013
(0)
desmo907 - If it works with the other sources, it seems to point to the 2250 as the problem. Previous posts seem to indicate that the 2250 should resolve such problems when found on other STBs. How about swapping the 2250 with another STB to see if there is any change??
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2013
(0)
It is set to Surround sound. I even set it to Stereo to check and the issue was the same.

Thx

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2013
(0)

I have to other VIP 1200 units on bedrroom TVs.

Can i swap those to test?

(Not sure of difference but I know they do not have DVR)

Re: Subwoofer issues - clipping with u-verse only

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2013
(0)
desmo907 - Yes, you can swap those. Even though the 2250 has the physical DVR, all STBs have the same functionality (aka Whole house DVR). In fact the best location fro the DVR is on the least used TV.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2013
(0)

How is the audio run from your STB to your AVR?

HDMI or Optical?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 7, 2013
(0)

The cable is HMDI.

Oddly last night we played the PS3 game and I heard the clipping noise for a moment, then it went away after a few seconds. Later my son watched a movie (Movie Channel) and he said it worked fine with no "noise".

I may swap the box and see what happens.

I have read this Infinity PS210 is junk (lots of complaints) but just seems odd that when I hear the "noise" it is with the STB.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 7, 2013
(0)

Lots of things can happen with subs.

Depending on age the caps can leak or dry out which can cause a hum or pop in some instances.

The cable connecting the sub could have a bad connection (wipe the ends down with contact cleaner and make sure it fits snug when plugged in) or it got damage physically look at the cable run.

Make sure your sub is getting an adequate signal if set to auto on not all sources output the same.

Sometimes re running room correction in the AVR or the test tone will show you what you need to know levels could be to high or too low.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 7, 2013
(0)
Well I did swap out the STB with the spare room VIP 1200 and got the same clipping noise, etc.
I suspect it is a bad sub but it just appears more frequent with u-verse, maybe due to different types of input from different stations?
(I will have to pay more attention with other sources but mostly we use that TV for television.)

I did check cables, and reviewed audio setup on the Onkyo...

The Infinity PS210 has a bad repuation so I may replace as I suspect (from what I read) it is too expensive to fix ):

Thx

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 7, 2013
(0)

I highly recomend this company . http://www.hsuresearch.com

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 7, 2013
(0)

oz_1 wrote:

I highly recomend this company . http://www.hsuresearch.com

I will second that recommendation.  I own an STF-2 myself. :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 7, 2013
(0)

I own the VTF-15H and it is all the sub I will ever need and HSU's customer service is second to none.