Linda661's profile

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

Tuesday, April 5th, 2011 6:58 PM

Streaming TV from my computer to another room

Some of my shows didn't record the other night..that's problem is on my other blog, so today I went to my computer to watch one that I had missed.  This was the first time I had watched a tv show on my computer.  So happy to be able to do that.

It was on NBC, so there were short commercials for NBC that were talking about watching your favorite show in another room.  Does U-Verse have a feature that allows me to stream a tv show on the computer, but watch it in my bedroom?  It seems like it might because of everyting running thru the phone lines.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Probably the only simple way is when both the computer and the display device have an HDMI output/input. My new MAC mini has HDMI & so does the plasma TV. I connect the two with an HDMI cable, they shake hands over the cable & it works like magic - audio included. If I look at the control panel for the display it shows all the usuall computer numbers plus 720p, 1080i etc.

I have the U-verse DVR on HDMI! and the computer on HDMI2 & use the remote to select which to input. 

Beyond that, it gets complicated fast. On the digital side.  HDMI (think TV) and DVI(think computer) are compatible for video. You just need a converter plug. But. you need a seperate path for audio. Same for analog TV has component, which I believe is coppatble with RGB. And, my monitor seems to be able to switch between analog/digital on the same input.

It would be great if U-verse had software to allow the MAC to act as an STB - just another app.

In the other direction, the STB may someday have the power to surf the web.

In the meantime, an HDMI connection between TV & computer  (including magic mouse and wireless keyboard) is the latest & greatest

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Sounds like you see the future, too. But, its not here yet. Everything is starting to combine.

Currently, the U-verse STB only processes U-verse TV. For network streaming you need another decoder box like apple TV, google TV - too many to mention - one of the new TVs that have it built in. Or a computer - connections to TVs now work (don't need a monitor) I am typing this on my computer connected HDMI to my 50" plasma TV- streams great.

Glad you found a show that you wanted. I have been trying to do the same - stream a show I missed - but, I never find it. Only find junk. Why do they have excerpts? what good is that? Whole episodes, only, please.

Some day the hardware/software and content will come together & it wil be elegant and useful.

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

13 years ago

I think you're saying that I can plug a computer into my plasa tv and use it as a monitor?????   Can you tell me more about that?  Would I have to tune to a special channel?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

I thought of an answer to a question you did not ask. You said it was a first time experience to watch a show on the computer. Did you expand it to the full screen?

Maybe you know this from youtube or other streaming video.

There are usually little control icons at the bottom of the picture. Click on a square one (with or without arrows) to expand picture to full screen.

Guru

• 

644 Messages

13 years ago

@Linda661 wrote:

I think you're saying that I can plug a computer into my plasa tv and use it as a monitor?????   Can you tell me more about that?  Would I have to tune to a special channel?

You need a HDMI/DVI cable. Plug the DVI end into your compter/laptop.  The HDMI goes to the TV. Go to your video card control panel. Select your TV as your monitor and apply. Now on your tv remote select your TV/video input. You should show 2 sources of input. It should be one of the HDMI inputs select it. Now your TV should be your monitor.

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you!!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.