Need help with your equipment?
miltonwheeler's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, January 6th, 2011 11:47 PM

Received phishing email from "At&t Online Service"

Received an email today from "At&t Online Service".  Since the "t&t" were not in capital letters like I usually see it, I was doubting that this came from AT&T.  The email was requesting that I send them my login name and password so they could verify my email address.  It said they were "updating their data base" and if I didn't do this immediately, my email address would be rendered inactive from their data base.  I called AT&T and was refered to this Forum and told to post my concern here.  It seems that AT&T does not have a department to handle this kind of issue.  Timothy, to whom I spoke, had not received a call regarding a "phishing" email.  So beware---

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

You are all very smart to recognize and be wary of this type of phishing attempt. 

AT&T will NEVER send you an email asking for your password. 

Please check this article for more information on phishing/scam emails: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409746#fbid=jLGlVFsUCPY

You can send phishing messages that appear to be from AT&T to abuse@att.net to make us aware. 

For other phishing attempts, please take a look at this website: http://www.antiphishing.org - There is a lof great information & methods to report those emails as well. 

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for posting.

If you ever have any questions, comments, or concerns about your service feel free to post here in the forum.  We are mostly all Uverse subs.  We are more than ready to help you and/or offer suggestions to get them resolved.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Earlier today I called ATT U-Verse to obtain bundle package quotes.  The rep stated she needed all info from me to find out the promo costs. I gave her address, e-mail, name, social security (which I found odd).  Around the time I called, I got an email from ATT U-verse that I opened a new account, which I didn't, and that I would be receiving paperless billing.  My last name in the email was spelled wrong by one letter and both first and last name were all lower case letters.  There was also an 800 number in the email which I called but hung up during the phone tree because the voice over didn't seem right.  I never ordered or placed a new account with ATT U-Verse and find the email sent into my email the same day I called ATT U-Verse is to coincidental.  Should I be worried that I was asked my social security number and gave it or is that standard procedure by ATT reps to find out promo deals in one's area?

Here is the gist of the email.

Thank You for Choosing Paperless Billing
Dear  (NAME),
Thank you for enrolling in paperless billing for the AT&T account(s) below. Depending on your billing cycle, you may receive one more paper bill in the mail for your AT&T services; however, new U-verse subscribers will not receive any paper bills.
ServiceAccount ending in
U-versexxxx
What happens next:
1)Each month we'll send you an email when your AT&T bill is ready to view and pay using att.com/myATT. No action is required if you use an automatic payment service to pay your bill.
2)You must register for myAT&T to view, print, and pay your full bill online.
3)You will no longer receive paper AT&T bills in the U.S. mail. We will keep up to 16 months of bill history online for your reference, including bill messages and notices.

Your privacy is important to us, and we want to be sure you requested these changes. If you did not authorize these changes, or if you have additional questions, please contact the AT&T Web Assistance Center at 1-877-273-2728.
  Thank you, AT&T Online Services www.att.com

Is this a phising email?

Thanks!

~M

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Could you please check my post on your thread?

Thanks!

~M

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

AT&T may ask you for a Social Security Number during a call for service request / upgrade because, my understanding is, they frequently run a credit report before implementing it (i.e., you called them).

Due to the anomolies you mentioned, it sounds like you did get a phishing email. You can confirm the "paperless billing" information on the U-verse website for your customer account (att.com | myatt | Bill & Payments ... links in the lower right corner will show you your "Paperless Billing," "AutoPay, " and Parental Control" options.

To reiterate a previously made point: AT&T (or any other service or resource provider or bank ...) will NEVER ask you for a password or user ID, or any other personal information by email, and they won't call you to "confirm" sensitive personal information ... NEVER.

If you receive such a call, get an extension number or name, look up the business' phone number and call them on that number (since a bad guy could just feed you one of his numbers ... you should look it up and call the published number).

You may get an email asking you to log into your account and do something (but it's rare), and even in that case, you should log in to att.com and navigate from there --DON'T CLICK ON ANY LINK IN ANY SUSPICIOUS EMAILS, EVER--

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Hi Scott,

I spoke with an ATT Rep this AM and she said the email is legit.  I am not sure how?  She said the last 4 digits (account) I gave her in that email are attached to my name.  I was assigned an account but not an order by the rep I spoke with yesterday but she also said she should have never asked for my SSN if I was only inquiring about bundle prices. She felt the rep may have done this to bypass steps thinking I would create an order for a U-Verse bundle.  I asked the rep yesterday to clear all of my info out. She said that she did. Today's rep says it is still there and could take time to clear out.  Yes? No?  I asked how much time do I give it to follow up, she did not know. I also informed the rep today that the phone number in the email is ATT outgoing message but a company name of secretlegwear.com who has no association to this number, this is based on online posts. She said ATT may be using a 3rd party to help them out.  I said secretlegwear? Come on, I don't think this is an ATT 3rd party, she still couldn't answer.  I even gave today's rep that phone number, she didn't verify my claim. All of this is making no sense to me. You feel it is a phishing email and I wonder about the timing of the call I made yesterday to ATT and same day getting an email.  The rep today said that is usually what happes, one gets it on the same day. I asked if I should be worried about providing my SSN, she said no, she couldn't even see it on her computer screen.  What should I do?  Can a supervisor contact me? Can you do more research into this?  Last thing I need is to lose another night of sleep over this, like last night, and wonder if my SSN is being used.  Thanks!

~M

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

@Killamanjaro wrote:

Hi Scott,

I spoke with an ATT Rep this AM and she said the email is legit.  I am not sure how?  She said the last 4 digits (account) I gave her in that email are attached to my name.  I was assigned an account but not an order by the rep I spoke with yesterday but she also said she should have never asked for my SSN if I was only inquiring about bundle prices. She felt the rep may have done this to bypass steps thinking I would create an order for a U-Verse bundle.  I asked the rep yesterday to clear all of my info out. She said that she did. Today's rep says it is still there and could take time to clear out.  Yes? No?  I asked how much time do I give it to follow up, she did not know. I also informed the rep today that the phone number in the email is ATT outgoing message but a company name of secretlegwear.com who has no association to this number, this is based on online posts. She said ATT may be using a 3rd party to help them out.  I said secretlegwear? Come on, I don't think this is an ATT 3rd party, she still couldn't answer.  I even gave today's rep that phone number, she didn't verify my claim. All of this is making no sense to me. You feel it is a phishing email and I wonder about the timing of the call I made yesterday to ATT and same day getting an email.  The rep today said that is usually what happes, one gets it on the same day. I asked if I should be worried about providing my SSN, she said no, she couldn't even see it on her computer screen.  What should I do?  Can a supervisor contact me? Can you do more research into this?  Last thing I need is to lose another night of sleep over this, like last night, and wonder if my SSN is being used.  Thanks!

~M

I can believe it takes a while (couple days max) to propagate the changes, even a deletion. When you call in, if you don't feel you are getting the answers you need, ask the person you are talking to to escalate the call. It is generally a common, no-drama event, and if that person can't help you to your satisfaction, ask them to escalate (repeat as necessary)..

IMO, you should save all correspondance, email or otherwise, to help document your progress (or lack of progress) in the evnt this becomes even more prolonged.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I had spoken to someone rather high up, transferred 3x, and she still tried and for some reason couldn't clear it all out right now... she mentioned it stays in there then eventually my info gets "ARCHIVED." So basicallty still and always will be in the computer system but never gone.  I do NOT understand that at all. There has to be some way to delete/cancel the account.  Perhaps you can do something?

The thing is... I NEVER AUTHORIZED the account nor did the rep tell me in the process this is what she was doing!!!!!!!!

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

@Killamanjaro wrote:

I had spoken to someone rather high up, transferred 3x, and she still tried and for some reason couldn't clear it all out right now... she mentioned it stays in there then eventually my info gets "ARCHIVED." So basicallty still and always will be in the computer system but never gone.  I do NOT understand that at all. There has to be some way to delete/cancel the account.  Perhaps you can do something?

The thing is... I NEVER AUTHORIZED the account nor did the rep tell me in the process this is what she was doing!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, that is not an area I would have access to. For the sake of privacy and the protection of Customer's Sensitive Personal Information, that information is limited to "customer facing" / account-handling employees that "need to know."

Perhaps @David can do something to follow-up on this for you. David is one of the folks here to help when the usual channels are failing.

Try dropping him a private message with the details and perhaps he can get it done for you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Lately, I have been receiving a lot of phishing e-mails- mostly from "Yahoo" - here is the latest:

I also received one from "At&t"

Any advice?????????

...if you did not send this request click the link below, if you did you dont have to do anything.

We have received your request to close your yahoo email and accounts.

De-activation will be done within 72 hrs. All files and email history will be deleted from our servers within 90 days .

If you did not send this request you can cancel the process by using the link above or below and follow the steps.

The link can also be used to confirm usage of your other accounts associated with Yahoo!

This confirmation assures you quality and uninterrupted service for an unlimited period of time.

The termination agreement you signed has also been attached to this email

Thanks for your cooperation.

Mail Administrative Dept Yahoo.com

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.