Posted Jan 16, 2012
8:13:22 PM
Potential NEW U-Verse Customer
We're looking at AT&T internet (Only internet) for our son at college. We're told DSL isn't available, but U-Verse is. Originally we were told DSL promo would be: Promo Rates Basic $14.95 up to .75 mbps Express $14.95 up to 1.5 mbps Pro $14.95 up to 3.0 mbps Elite $19.95 up to 6.0 mbps Today we received a call that U-Verse is the only service only available at his studio. The corporate store sales person said all the services are the same costs between DSL and U-verse, but when I looked here on AT&T's website I see 7 options for U-Verse. I'm not sure but don't think these are promo rates for U-Verse (update, they are Promo I found the actual prices and I'll list below in ($) next to the other rates. Basic $19.95 (none listed for U-verse) Express $19.95 (non listed for U-verse) Pro $19.95 ($38) Elite $24.95 ($43) Max $29.95 ($48) Max Plus $39.95 ($53) Max Turbo $49.95 ($63) So I have two questions. 1) Does anyone know what the "high speed internet equipment fee is that applies", per the U-Verse page here on AT&T's website, and is this a monthly fee or a one-time equipment fee? 2) We were told by the corporate store sales person that the DSL Pro or Elite would handle streaming videos, but upon looking at the graph for U-Verse, that's not the case. Streaming video doesn't come in on the graph until Max Plus or Max Turbo which is a lot more than they quoted or told us at the store. Does anyone comfortabilly use the Pro U-verse for streaming video? In his studio, he will be the only person with U-verse - he won't be sharing with anyone. I've seen so many pros and cons on the forums I'd like to know what I'm up against first before getting locked into a contract. Thank you!
"One of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats." Iris Murdock
(1)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Jan 23, 2012 2:03:26 PM
(1)
Mentor
Finally, I reached someone via phone and stated when searching addresses online to confirm an order placement, type "D" ONLY for Road, etc. She said that's the only way it works. The first person said, try it all....St., Street, Road, Rd., Avenue, Ave., etc., etc. When I tried the D ONLY it worked! Hope this helps others. :smileyhappy:
Accepted Solution

Potential NEW U-Verse Customer

28 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(28)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 16, 2012 8:25:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

Don't feel bad. It confused the heck out of me too. The Basic & Express are rates for the original DSL. The Pro, Elite and the rest are U-verse rates. In addition to those rates (for one year) you have to buy their "Residential Gateway", which costs like $100.  "Streaming video" covers a lot of ground. Are you talking about watching YouTube or downloading HD movies? 6 MB is fine for most uses. Besides, he's in college. He should not have time for downloading movies.

Re: Potential NEW U-Verse Customer

2 of 29 (5,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 16, 2012 8:46:47 PM
(0)
Mentor
Thanks DonNewcomb! Is the Residential Gateway like their modum (for the DSL they quoted us $100, with a $100 rebate)? He's wanting streaming video for watching Netflx, Hulu, etc. movies and shows. This is true he should not have time for this, but he's a transfer student and is really focused on finishing up his schooling. We don't want to overpay for something he's not going to use, but also don't want him to have streaming delays either. I do see on the graph upto 6 mbps for the Elite even though streaming video isn't check under the Elite, this should be fine? He wanted to start out at the Pro up to 3 mbps (it states) and then move up if he had too, since the sales person didn't know if he could change up or down from one level or another inside the contract. Thanks!

3 of 29 (5,520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2012 12:28:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

From our personal experience the "Elite" at 6 mbps is NOT fast enough for watching movies or programs.....particularly if there is much "action" in the video.  Quite jerky and sometimes brief pauses.   My wife and I currently have the 18 mbps service and it seems to be MUCH more acceptable in this regard.  But if we watched very many movies via Internet I would opt for the 24 mbps service.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 29 (5,503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2012 5:53:41 AM
(0)
Scholar

Netflix recommends at least 1.5 Mbps and adds the following:

"How the Speed of Your Internet Connection Affects Video Quality
The speed of your Internet connection affects instant watching
The video quality of the movies and television series you watch instantly on your PC will vary based on your actual Internet connection speed.
The faster your Internet connection, the better your video quality
Netflix automatically chooses the video quality to give you the best image possible based on the speed of your Internet connection. The faster your Internet connection, the higher the quality that we can deliver to you.
How the speed of your Internet connection can change

The speed of your Internet connection can change frequently based on network conditions in your residence and your Internet Service Provider''s system.

If you are having problems with the speed of your connection, try the following:
Your residence
Check to see if others in your household are accessing the Internet while you are trying to watch a movie. Downloading music, streaming media, and online game playing can substantially reduce the amount of Internet connectivity available for watching instantly.
If your computer is using a wireless network connection, make sure you are close enough to your wireless LAN access point to ensure strong reception. In adtition, keep in mind that use of cordless phones and microwave ovens can cause interference with wireless networks.
Your Internet Service Provider (ISP)
Contact the ISP that provides your DSL, Cable, or other broadband network service and ask what speed you should be able to receive under your plan and whether you are actually receiving that speed.
Several levels of video quality
Instant watching titles are available in multiple levels of video quality. Netflix automatically determines the level you receive by analyzing your current Internet speed. You can''t select the video quality level yourself, and the level will change from time to time depending on actual network conditions."

So, the system adapts the quality of the video to the speed of the Internet connection. If you feel that he needs the very best movie experience then by all means, get him the 18 Mbps service. If he were my son he'd feel lucky to have 3 Mbps. More than fast enough to get his homework done.  But then I'm a hard-nosed cuss.

5 of 29 (5,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2012 10:19:07 AM
(0)
Mentor
My Broadband Satellite (local company) just told me 3Mbps is sufficient. Minimum 1.5 Mbps is all they need. Now, if I can just confirm using my own Gateway then were set. Thanks for your replies!

6 of 29 (5,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2012 12:07:02 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by ShaunMN on Jan 23, 2012 at 1:02:19 PM

Trying to PURCHASE new internet only SERVICE. Have been told THREE times that a specific location has U-Verse availability and when I go to purchase it online the Check Availability won't verify the address. By ordering this particular INTERNET only service online we're not locked into a contract whereas via a representative we're locked into a 12 month contract (this has been confirmed by AT&T's order desk). The lease on our son's rental is only from Jan to the end of May - that's why we don't want a contract. I've been through four different people on the phone today with no solution! You'd think they'd want our business. This is terrible service...even Web Assist representative said, "why did they tell you to call us"? What am I to do now?

{post merged}

HELP! U-Verse CHECK Availability Address NOT WORKING PROPERLY!

[ Edited ]
7 of 29 (5,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2012 12:19:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Contact Alex, the AT&T Community Manager that has helped many users, by Private Message (his response, blue letter in upper right are PMs). Include your full name, account # and good phone #.:

http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276

Let us know how things work out if you can after contacting Alex. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: HELP! U-Verse CHECK Availability Address NOT WORKING PROPERLY!

8 of 29 (5,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2012 12:24:11 PM
(0)
Mentor
Will do! I sent a message over....am waitin to here. Have been on hold this last go around for almost an hour. Did you all know sometimes when you phone corporate AT&T you may receive an AUTHORIZED RETAILER? I didn't....this could be part of the problem. No everyone is always trained the same. :smileysad:

9 of 29 (5,444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 18, 2012 2:33:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

Try Dsl extreme. ATT is very restrictive.  Only wireless b/g no n and no other router.

10 of 29 (5,455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2012 12:40:44 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by ShaunMN on Jan 23, 2012 at 1:05:05 PM

AT&T you're trying my patients. First, I have problems with my HOME billing with AT&T, 2nd problems with my AT&T WIRELESS (for over 9 months now) and NOW new UVERSE service. I'm to the point to no return and feel that AT&T doesnt' really give a hoot about their long-time customer. Signed up with NEW U-Verse INTERNET for our son at away at college and was told the equipment would be delievered today. Phoned customer service for a UPS tracking # and the first person I spoke with informs me sunami in Asia caused a delay in equipment (we'll had they built it equipment in the USA we wouldn't have this issues). He further informs me there's no tracking #, nothing's been shipped and it may be received by our son on Jan. 25th or 26th. The date of the 23rd is the day it will be shipped! I informed him, not my email states RECEIPT of the 23rd not DELIVERY on the 23rd (he tried telling me otherwise). We'll let's hope so, since no one will be there on the 27th or 28th to accept delivery (the rest of the building is empty!). Then I speak with a representative in Tech Support who tells me it will be delivered on the 26th (but there's no guarantee) and again no tracking #. I then speak with the Tech Support supervisor who informs me the "system" says it will be there on the 26th and that our 30 days (to see if it works or not) will start once it's activated by our son, not from the day we ordered it or it's received. What upsets me even more is that my email confirmation states delivery today, Jan. 23rd and I received no other email or phone call stating there would be a delay. This isn't good customer service. Maybe I should have ordered him Comcast? AT&T you need to take a hard look at your long time customers and rethink how you're servicing them. IMO not very good and I'm a true example.

{post merged}

BEWARD: New U-Verse Service NOT - Equipment on backorder and not notified!

[ Edited ]
11 of 29 (5,357 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Jan 23, 2012 2:03:26 PM
(1)
Mentor
Finally, I reached someone via phone and stated when searching addresses online to confirm an order placement, type "D" ONLY for Road, etc. She said that's the only way it works. The first person said, try it all....St., Street, Road, Rd., Avenue, Ave., etc., etc. When I tried the D ONLY it worked! Hope this helps others. :smileyhappy:

12 of 29 (5,345 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2012 2:09:55 PM
(0)
Mentor
We'll not due to any customer service assistance I thought I'd post my update. About 30 minutes after posting my message I received a phone call from an "IN-FIELD" tech support person checking to see where I was for installation. Now, FYI - I was told via phone last week, "Everything would arrive in a box and I don't need anyone to come install my DSL since I have a phone line and the address was confirmed". We'll I'm thankful this person arrived and he happens to have the "equipment" on his truck to install. We'll call him once our "equipment" arrives. Luckily, my son wasn't in class and could meet the installer. Now, I'm crossing my fingers that all goes well on the install. AT&T please work on your SYSTEMS. Their not working properly.

Re: BEWARD: New U-Verse Service NOT - Equipment on backorder and not notified!

13 of 29 (5,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2012 2:39:36 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Thank you @Chris!

Rawben wrote:
We're looking at AT&T internet (Only internet) for our son at college. We're told DSL isn't available, but U-Verse is. Originally we were told DSL promo would be: Promo Rates Basic $14.95 up to .75 mbps Express $14.95 up to 1.5 mbps Pro $14.95 up to 3.0 mbps Elite $19.95 up to 6.0 mbps Today we received a call that U-Verse is the only service only available at his studio. The corporate store sales person said all the services are the same costs between DSL and U-verse, but when I looked here on AT&T's website I see 7 options for U-Verse. I'm not sure but don't think these are promo rates for U-Verse (update, they are Promo I found the actual prices and I'll list below in ($) next to the other rates. Basic $19.95 (none listed for U-verse) Express $19.95 (non listed for U-verse) Pro $19.95 ($38) Elite $24.95 ($43) Max $29.95 ($48) Max Plus $39.95 ($53) Max Turbo $49.95 ($63) So I have two questions. 1) Does anyone know what the "high speed internet equipment fee is that applies", per the U-Verse page here on AT&T's website, and is this a monthly fee or a one-time equipment fee? 2) We were told by the corporate store sales person that the DSL Pro or Elite would handle streaming videos, but upon looking at the graph for U-Verse, that's not the case. Streaming video doesn't come in on the graph until Max Plus or Max Turbo which is a lot more than they quoted or told us at the store. Does anyone comfortabilly use the Pro U-verse for streaming video? In his studio, he will be the only person with U-verse - he won't be sharing with anyone. I've seen so many pros and cons on the forums I'd like to know what I'm up against first before getting locked into a contract. Thank you!

Welcome Rawben and thank you for posting. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you experienced. I received your Private Message and replied with the information needed since this is account specific. Please check your Private Message inbox (blue envelope, top-right) for an update.

Regards,
Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible
Private Message (ATTCustomerCare for account specific help)

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Keep in mind; I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

14 of 29 (5,340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2012 2:44:17 PM
(0)
Mentor
Thank you Alex! Much appreciated. :smileyhappy:

15 of 29 (5,336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2012 3:44:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

Alex,

I have a problem with the Motorola u-verse NVG510 since I got it 4-month ago, sometimes it doesn't load images complete, other times it won't even load the page, have to try twice, never had a signal problem when I had the DSL, windows 7 gave me the problem " The server at motors.shop.ebay.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing internet explorer from accessing the network." I have tried everything, reset the unit, calling tech support.

Thank you! 

U-Verse Customer

16 of 29 (5,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2012 4:25:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

defline wrote:

Alex,

I have a problem with the Motorola u-verse NVG510 since I got it 4-month ago, sometimes it doesn't load images complete, other times it won't even load the page, have to try twice, never had a signal problem when I had the DSL, windows 7 gave me the problem " The server at motors.shop.ebay.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing internet explorer from accessing the network." I have tried everything, reset the unit, calling tech support.

Thank you! 

If you want to contact Alex, send him a PM.

Re: U-Verse Customer

17 of 29 (5,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2012 8:15:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you!

18 of 29 (5,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2012 10:13:04 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Rawben wrote:
Thank you Alex! Much appreciated. :smileyhappy:

Glad to help! :smileyhappy:

Regards,

Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Keep in mind; I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

19 of 29 (5,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2012 10:14:18 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Thank you @texasguy37!

defline wrote:

Alex,

Thank you! 

Hi defline,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. I received your Private Message and replied with the information needed since this is account specific. Please check your Private Message inbox (blue envelope, top-right) for an update.

Regards,
Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible

20 of 29 (5,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 27, 2012 10:28:21 AM
(0)
Tutor

I got my problem solved, I was contacted by a Tier2 Manager (Thanks to Alex) here are the steps to solve the problem;

Go to "control panel".

Open "network and sharing center"

Right click on “change adapter settings"

Right click on "local area connection" and select "properties"

Click on "internet protocol version 4” from the list to highlighted then click on “properties" 

Box comes up, you'll see two options; click on the 2 option (the bottom one) then choose  “Use the following DNS server addresses"

Under preferred DNS server enter the AT&T DNS IP Primary:   68.94.156.1   (dots are already there)

And under Alternative DNS server enter AT&T  DNS secondary:  68.94.157.1

Click OK to save and close.

You’re done and your web pages will load normal just like before. My computer (Windows 7) is fast just like it was before. No problems anymore.

NVG510 DNS Solution

21 of 29 (5,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 18, 2012 12:53:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

If this is for collage, he must be also watching YouTube and downloading files from school.  This means he needs at least 6MB download, I would go ahead with Uverse and get the DSL package with a 12.00 download and a 1.5 upload.  This way he can download files faster and watch YouTube flawlessly plus if for some reason you were also at home or at the location with him then you would be able to do stuff together (stream videos, check email, etc) and still dont have to worry about too much buffering.  

22 of 29 (5,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 28, 2013 11:41:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

I realize I'm reinitializing a year-old thread here, but since the subject matter is the same, here's my situation (and potential dilema):

I currently have SDSL service from a competitive aggregator, which gives me a max download speed of 768kbs, fine for general Web surfing and streaming audio, but totally inadequate for streaming video or just about anything else.  The trouble is that the high-nosed community in which I reside put the brakes on SBC/at&t placing any new digital multiplexing equipment in any neighborhoods beyond where they already have cross-connect cabinets (under the pretense that it "interfers with beauty of the surroundings and would make things cluttered").  Well, they finally got the city to back off of that nonsense and are now allowing a limited number of new fiber build-outs along with the electronics necessary for U-Verse service (at decent speeds, anyway).

So, I've been noticing installers going around to pedestals in the backyards around here, doing grounding and bonding work in preps for the new service.  And I've also seen directional boring equipment down the street, so here goes.

But here's the questions, which I have been unsuccessful getting answered anywhere within the pale of the SBC/at&t "zero-touch," menu-driven environment:  

1. My existing set up consists of the DSL line that simply runs on top of the 4khz voice band single twisted pair, through the run-of-the-mill NID, and terminates to an old Broadxent DSL modem.  This modem has four RJ-45 jacks for ethernet interface and so I've wired the house with CAT-5 cable for the necessary devices.  Does SBC/at&t still install a modem like the 2wire 3801 that allows for ethernet as well as wireless interface?  I really don't want wireless and I don't want to change the existing ethernet arrangement.

2. Does their device have a voice gateway?  And by this I mean a way that I can keep all my cordless POTS phones (which are run to a single central 66-block) and run a single wire to a VOIP gateway?  Or would I be forced to change everything to VOIP phones?

3.  What, if anything, needs to be done on the outside of the house?  Can the existing NID be kept or do they have to install something like the 2wire 3812 out there?  This might sound like a picky question, but we just spent a small fortune a couple of years ago having the house re-sided with fiber cement and I have no desire to see a bunch more holes drilled through it (which is why I've refused to get Comcast service, cause I KNOW what they're going to do).

23 of 29 (4,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 1, 2013 11:27:49 PM
(0)
Employee
1) location, location, location....till service is ordered and installed confine to general statements.
Uverse as a brand has many different models based on distance and services ordered. Note all RGs have 4 port Ethernet interface and wireless can be turned off in GUI

ADSL2 internet or internet and voip uses the 510 has N capable (if checking address cannot get TV service then you are this, more than 5000 feet from feed)

VDSL (qualify for TV package even if not ordered) B/G config only.
A) internet only or HSIA and VOIP together less than 2000 feet purchase 3600 ($100 no monthly lease fee) or newer 5031 (handles longer loop lengths (up to 3000 feet)
If loop length is over 3000 then inid installed automatically full tech install ($149) including $6/ month equipment lease on HSIA
B) HSIA with TV service ($6 monthly lease fee applies) no purchase options
Less than 2000 feet the 3800 RG
2000-3000 feet the 3801 RG
Greater than 3000 feet the bonded pair inid with i38HG indoor unit modem in all areas of uverse. In select areas may receive the new bonded pair 589 RG.

2) in all cases you may keep your POTS service but will be encouraged to bundle VOIP at a better price than the two separate accounts. No major changes to current phone wiring either way.

3) outside NID, generally is recommended to replace older NID with newer but old can be updated with new parts if needed. If greater than 3000 feet requiring INID then old is removed (note new inid could be mounted in basement or garage to keep house exterior clean)

Holes may have to be drilled unless an existing wire can removed and new feed thru opening. All installs should include new cat5 run from NID to RG with new jack (this is option if doing a CSI ...customer self install using the 3600 RG...if this is desired for 3600 choose full tech install ($149) vs CSI ($50))

Note CSI is only available if choosing 12M or less internet speed. If ordering 18 or 24 (Max plus or Max turbo) full tech install is only choice available includes the new cat5 home run.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

24 of 29 (3,960 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 2, 2013 10:31:44 AM
(0)
Tutor

"My Thoughts" - thanks for the reply and good info.  It's what I was looking for.  Yesterday I saw an installer working at the cross-connect box down the street as I was biking past so I stopped to chat with him about it.  He was working another guy on the other end of each pair, verifiying and testing for loop length.  Later on the installer who had been working on the other end stopped in front of the house and went to the pedestal, which in our neighbor's back yard.  So I went to chat with him, too.  He told the guy at the cross-connect that he was talking to me and that installer remembered our earlier discussion.  He tested my pair and informed me that I was 1.2k/ft from the cross-connect (where the VRAD will be installed later this Summer).  So I should be in good shape for just about any of the services.  I look forward to seeing where things go from here and how long it'll take them to pull in the new fiber and install the VRAD.

Upgrading the intrance wire from the 2-pair that's there now to CAT5 is a good idea.  I think I'll pull some in ahead of time to save some steps.

25 of 29 (3,928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 31, 2013 10:03:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well, here I am again, 5-6 months later, still no U-Verse.  I carefully observed as much of the entire process as I was able, beginning in June, with the cable crews who went around from pedistal ot pedistal doing bonding and grounding work, to the customer loop verification and acceptance crew, to the VRAD installation that took place in October/November, to the reconfiguration and upgrade of the co-located cross-connect box with CAT5 wiring, to the electrical connection by the power company.

Now, here we are about to turn the calendar over to a new year and still no U-Verse.  In fact, I still get flyers in the mail from AT&T offering to sign me up for 3mbs DSL and DirectTV service.  Just how long does it take for the new VRAD to get fired up and the provisioning and sale groups to get up to speed with the fact that I can now get U-Verse offerings?

26 of 29 (2,715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 28, 2014 2:30:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

OK, I finally just ordered U-Verse service a couple of weeks ago.  After receiving my on-line order I was almost immediately hit with an e-mail from the ordering group saying they could not provision U-Verse to my residence because an existing service would need to be disconnected first.  They're going to be rolling my local service (with AT&T) over the the router for VoIP so that's not an issue.  What they're referring to is the fact that I currently get Internet access via the same local AT&T twisted pair from an Internet provider called Megapath via DSL. So they're telling me that has to be taken out of service first.

I'm not doing that because it would leave me with a gap in Internet access between whenever Megapath orders their disconnect and whenever AT&T gets around to working my U-Verse order.  What I can't understand is why I can't get AT&T to work the U-Verse order first and then I can contact Megapath and tell them to discontinue service.  After all, AT&T owns the local facility to my house, right?  I and I control what Megapath does over that facility, right?

Now I'm at a total standstill with a threat to discontinue the U-Verse order within 10 days if I don't get the DSL disconnected.  And, by the way, the next day after I received the e-mail saying they couldn't work the order I received a follow-up e-mail saying,

"... AT&T Internet, Voice Phone Service Information:

The conflict with working service at the address for your new service has been resolved. We are in the process of completing your request for service. You will receive an email with your account number and activation date shortly.

We do not require any additional information from you at this time, but should you have any questions please call our Web Sales Center during the hours below...."

Then, today, a week later I get this again,

"... While processing your order, we determined that additional information is required to complete your request.

Please give us a call at 1-877-833-5989   (Mon-Fri 8 am to 10 pm, or Sat-Sun 8 am to 5 pm Eastern Time) to provide the necessary information we need to complete your online order.

To prevent an automatic cancellation of your order, it's important we hear from you within 10 days.

We look forward to hearing from you and to completing your order..."

So I called 'em to find out what else they needed, waited in queue to get someone to answer, and when they finally did they informed me that they couldn't complete the order until the service was disconnected.

So help me, is there any way to get ahold of someone over there who knows what they're doing and can help me?

27 of 29 (1,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 29, 2014 7:53:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Regretfully, AT&T can't re-provision you rline for U-Verse as long as it is in use for DSL.  This is why you have to disconnect the DSL service first.  If your DSL service was from AT&T, they could possibkly work around this because they know the service disconnect would happen when they re-provision the line tof U-Verse, but they can't control the Megapath service, and can't risk trying to send Megapath DSL service over the same pair as U-Verse.

You can try contacting AT&T to see if they would offer you a loaner Wireless hotspot to use in the interim between when your DSL is disconnected and your U-Verse is activated.  I don't know if they offer this service or not, but it never hurts to ask.  I have some friends in WI who got one while waiting for their service activation...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

28 of 29 (1,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 30, 2014 10:13:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

Geekboy - thanks for the reply and the info.  However, the arguement I have with the ordering people is one of "can't" (re-provision) vs. "won't".  For one thing, there are many variables in the way an aggregator, CLEC, etc. interconnects with an ILEC's local facilities.  Depending upon the collocation arrangements, this could be a simple jumper from wiring block (that extends an interconnection cable from a collo cage) to the local MDF.  In such a case, it would amount to an easy disconnect of said jumper so that the "last mile" could be provisioned from the VRAD (e.g., "flash cut").  Another thing that might be considered would be to use a spare pair out of the copper distribution cable back to the VRAD to get everything set up for U-Verse.  Once everything is up and working it could either be left working that way permenantly or swung back to the original pair once the disconnect order with Megapath has been worked.

To me, it's just one more chapter in the "not invented here," "not in written our bible that way" syndrome that makes doing business difficult.  I'm willing to gamble that it doesn't get treated like this for business customers - they wouldn't stand for an outage of an undetermined duration.

29 of 29 (1,253 Views)