Need help with your equipment?
Rawben's profile

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 4:13 AM

Potential NEW U-Verse Customer

We're looking at AT&T internet (Only internet) for our son at college. We're told DSL isn't available, but U-Verse is. Originally we were told DSL promo would be: Promo Rates Basic $14.95 up to .75 mbps Express $14.95 up to 1.5 mbps Pro $14.95 up to 3.0 mbps Elite $19.95 up to 6.0 mbps Today we received a call that U-Verse is the only service only available at his studio. The corporate store sales person said all the services are the same costs between DSL and U-verse, but when I looked here on AT&T's website I see 7 options for U-Verse. I'm not sure but don't think these are promo rates for U-Verse (update, they are Promo I found the actual prices and I'll list below in ($) next to the other rates. Basic $19.95 (none listed for U-verse) Express $19.95 (non listed for U-verse) Pro $19.95 ($38) Elite $24.95 ($43) Max $29.95 ($48) Max Plus $39.95 ($53) Max Turbo $49.95 ($63) So I have two questions. 1) Does anyone know what the "high speed internet equipment fee is that applies", per the U-Verse page here on AT&T's website, and is this a monthly fee or a one-time equipment fee? 2) We were told by the corporate store sales person that the DSL Pro or Elite would handle streaming videos, but upon looking at the graph for U-Verse, that's not the case. Streaming video doesn't come in on the graph until Max Plus or Max Turbo which is a lot more than they quoted or told us at the store. Does anyone comfortabilly use the Pro U-verse for streaming video? In his studio, he will be the only person with U-verse - he won't be sharing with anyone. I've seen so many pros and cons on the forums I'd like to know what I'm up against first before getting locked into a contract. Thank you!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

12 years ago

Finally, I reached someone via phone and stated when searching addresses online to confirm an order placement, type "D" ONLY for Road, etc. She said that's the only way it works. The first person said, try it all....St., Street, Road, Rd., Avenue, Ave., etc., etc. When I tried the D ONLY it worked! Hope this helps others. 🙂

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

12 years ago

Don't feel bad. It confused the heck out of me too. The Basic & Express are rates for the original DSL. The Pro, Elite and the rest are U-verse rates. In addition to those rates (for one year) you have to buy their "Residential Gateway", which costs like $100.  "Streaming video" covers a lot of ground. Are you talking about watching YouTube or downloading HD movies? 6 MB is fine for most uses. Besides, he's in college. He should not have time for downloading movies.

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks DonNewcomb! Is the Residential Gateway like their modum (for the DSL they quoted us $100, with a $100 rebate)? He's wanting streaming video for watching Netflx, Hulu, etc. movies and shows. This is true he should not have time for this, but he's a transfer student and is really focused on finishing up his schooling. We don't want to overpay for something he's not going to use, but also don't want him to have streaming delays either. I do see on the graph upto 6 mbps for the Elite even though streaming video isn't check under the Elite, this should be fine? He wanted to start out at the Pro up to 3 mbps (it states) and then move up if he had too, since the sales person didn't know if he could change up or down from one level or another inside the contract. Thanks!

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

12 years ago

From our personal experience the "Elite" at 6 mbps is NOT fast enough for watching movies or programs.....particularly if there is much "action" in the video.  Quite jerky and sometimes brief pauses.   My wife and I currently have the 18 mbps service and it seems to be MUCH more acceptable in this regard.  But if we watched very many movies via Internet I would opt for the 24 mbps service.

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

12 years ago

Netflix recommends at least 1.5 Mbps and adds the following:

"How the Speed of Your Internet Connection Affects Video Quality
The speed of your Internet connection affects instant watching
The video quality of the movies and television series you watch instantly on your PC will vary based on your actual Internet connection speed.
The faster your Internet connection, the better your video quality
Netflix automatically chooses the video quality to give you the best image possible based on the speed of your Internet connection. The faster your Internet connection, the higher the quality that we can deliver to you.
How the speed of your Internet connection can change

The speed of your Internet connection can change frequently based on network conditions in your residence and your Internet Service Provider''s system.

If you are having problems with the speed of your connection, try the following:
Your residence
Check to see if others in your household are accessing the Internet while you are trying to watch a movie. Downloading music, streaming media, and online game playing can substantially reduce the amount of Internet connectivity available for watching instantly.
If your computer is using a wireless network connection, make sure you are close enough to your wireless LAN access point to ensure strong reception. In adtition, keep in mind that use of cordless phones and microwave ovens can cause interference with wireless networks.
Your Internet Service Provider (ISP)
Contact the ISP that provides your DSL, Cable, or other broadband network service and ask what speed you should be able to receive under your plan and whether you are actually receiving that speed.
Several levels of video quality
Instant watching titles are available in multiple levels of video quality. Netflix automatically determines the level you receive by analyzing your current Internet speed. You can''t select the video quality level yourself, and the level will change from time to time depending on actual network conditions."

So, the system adapts the quality of the video to the speed of the Internet connection. If you feel that he needs the very best movie experience then by all means, get him the 18 Mbps service. If he were my son he'd feel lucky to have 3 Mbps. More than fast enough to get his homework done.  But then I'm a hard-nosed cuss.

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

12 years ago

My Broadband Satellite (local company) just told me 3Mbps is sufficient. Minimum 1.5 Mbps is all they need. Now, if I can just confirm using my own Gateway then were set. Thanks for your replies!

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

12 years ago

Trying to PURCHASE new internet only SERVICE. Have been told THREE times that a specific location has U-Verse availability and when I go to purchase it online the Check Availability won't verify the address. By ordering this particular INTERNET only service online we're not locked into a contract whereas via a representative we're locked into a 12 month contract (this has been confirmed by AT&T's order desk). The lease on our son's rental is only from Jan to the end of May - that's why we don't want a contract. I've been through four different people on the phone today with no solution! You'd think they'd want our business. This is terrible service...even Web Assist representative said, "why did they tell you to call us"? What am I to do now?

{post merged}

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

12 years ago

Contact Alex, the AT&T Community Manager that has helped many users, by Private Message (his response, blue letter in upper right are PMs). Include your full name, account # and good phone #.:

http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276

Let us know how things work out if you can after contacting Alex. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

12 years ago

Will do! I sent a message over....am waitin to here. Have been on hold this last go around for almost an hour. Did you all know sometimes when you phone corporate AT&T you may receive an AUTHORIZED RETAILER? I didn't....this could be part of the problem. No everyone is always trained the same. 😞

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Try Dsl extreme. ATT is very restrictive.  Only wireless b/g no n and no other router.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.