kregg451's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 19th, 2013 10:56 PM

Closed

No Al Jazeera

Please do not carry Al Jazeera.  We already have plenty of, so called, news channels that are nothing more than propogandists that sell advertising time.  That last thing the American television landscape needs is to be inundated with the propoganda of Islamic extremists.

Scholar

• 

118 Messages

10 years ago

They could easilly have just added the network quietly and nobody would have cared or even noticed except for those who wanted to watch it. Networks quietly get added to the lineup all the time and nobody even notices except for the few that are paying attention. If they stumbled upon one of the newscasts, Consider This, or The Stream, they probably wouldn't even know they were watching Al Jazeera if it wasn't for the logo.

Now it's carried on DirecTV, Dish Network, Comcast and Time Warner Cable and people are starting to notice that it's not the boogy man network some people thought it was. 

It's not Anti-American (if anything it's Pro-American), there's no bias there (I've never seen a news network stay so neutral on politics) And for the most part, it's actual news and journalism, not a bunch of people screaming at each other over politics. In other words, we're missing out. 

Glenn Beck called it "The voice of the enemy", yeah the voice of his enemy. He wanted to buy the Current TV network so he could make his Blaze network available in more areas. Instead, it was sold to Al Jazeera and he is angry. 

I'm still waiting. They added it to Time Warner Cable in December. My sister has been recording some VHS tapes of it for me so I could see what it's like. It's really good. I'm not dropping U-Verse for it, but it would be nice if they would carry it. 

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

I agree jeremy.  Quietly or not, there would have been someone complaining, as soon as it were added.   What I gather, the network is fairly neutral - a concept American's don't usually like.  They expect one-sidedness from the Nation's news orgs.  We could always listen to shortwave radio to get differing opinions.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

10 years ago

My personal feeling is that as we have had more and more media outlets, our views (as a society) have become more polarized because the networks are doing precision targeting.  If you're conservative you listen to Fox, if you're liberal you listen to MSNBC, and CNN falls in between.  With a television with 600+ channels and car radio (Sirius) with close to 300, I can always find a channel that reaffirms my belief.  In an earlier generation, Cronkite, Reasoner, et cet had to shoot for the middle.  Some might be at the 45% marker, and others at the 55% marker, but they wanted to hover near the center.  We've now seen political candidates who regard the "mainstream media" as irrelevant and work the channels that cater to their base.

I find the Al Jazeera's of the world refreshing and I respect their commitment to journalistic integrity.  I know they are not perfect, e.g. I doubt they'd go after the Emir of Qatar, but I think they do a commendable job.  

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@stufried wrote:

My personal feeling is that as we have had more and more media outlets, our views (as a society) have become more polarized because the networks are doing precision targeting.  If you're conservative you listen to Fox, if you're liberal you listen to MSNBC, and CNN falls in between.  With a television with 600+ channels and car radio (Sirius) with close to 300, I can always find a channel that reaffirms my belief.  In an earlier generation, Cronkite, Reasoner, et cet had to shoot for the middle.  Some might be at the 45% marker, and others at the 55% marker, but they wanted to hover near the center.  We've now seen political candidates who regard the "mainstream media" as irrelevant and work the channels that cater to their base.

I find the Al Jazeera's of the world refreshing and I respect their commitment to journalistic integrity.  I know they are not perfect, e.g. I doubt they'd go after the Emir of Qatar, but I think they do a commendable job.  

Well said!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

2/3/2014
Just FYI. I will be switching and bundling all my services with ASTOUND where I can get both SUNDANCE and Al JAZEERA.
Sayonara.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

10 years ago

@patrickmonk wrote:

2/3/2014
Just FYI. I will be switching and bundling all my services with ASTOUND where I can get both SUNDANCE and Al JAZEERA.
Sayonara.

What a waste of a first post. Patrickmonk: do you think anyone on this forum cares that you are leaving U-Verse? For the most part, we are subscribers just like you. For your information, U-Verse has Sundance in both SD and HD. I guess you never bothered to check.

Good luck with your new provider.

Just FYI, I am leaving my office early due to the snow storm we are having now, and I am bundling up due to the cold.

Scholar

• 

118 Messages

10 years ago

Sorry to see you go.

I'm just sticking it out.

They're having a battle in court and until that is over with, it's not going to happen. I'm pretty sure with the right settlement or agreement they can get this channel on the lineup. They got BeIN Sport in both English, Spanish, HD and SD. I honestly think they should both sit down at the Dallas office and settle out of court. 

If AT&T adds it, like BeIN Sport, they'll get the SD feed, the HD feed (Which has only been on systems that just added the channel) in addition, it'll be available for streaming in the U-Verse apps and on the website, with or without being connected to the home network. That's how they have it going on Time Warner Cable. Time Warner dropped the network itself while it was still Current TV, but re added it back in December.   

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

I hope that they settle but I bet that this standoff could turn into a Hallmark type one.

From what I understand, the court action was taken because of AT&T not following through on carriage.  Having to sue to get someone to do something, usually does not end well.  BUT we can always hope, lol.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

@dwinth wrote:

@patrickmonk wrote:

2/3/2014
Sayonara.

What a waste of a first post. Patrickmonk: do you think anyone on this forum cares that you are leaving U-Verse? For the most part, we are subscribers just like you. For your information, U-Verse has Sundance in both SD and HD. I guess you never bothered to check.

Just FYI, I am leaving my office early due to the snow storm we are having now, and I am bundling up due to the cold.

Well said! It's a shame when they don't even bother to check the lineups they claim to have. If I couldn't find a channel, I'd look at my lineup card or even check the internet instead of threatening to drop a service I didn't have.

It's a shame there's no way to verify a customer...maybe do some sort of IP "sniff" so that if it comes back with an AT&T IP address, there's a logo beneath their name? IDK.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

10 years ago

@baseballisback wrote:

@dwinth wrote:

@patrickmonk wrote:

2/3/2014
Sayonara.

Well said! It's a shame when they don't even bother to check the lineups they claim to have. If I couldn't find a channel, I'd look at my lineup card or even check the internet instead of threatening to drop a service I didn't have.

It's a shame there's no way to verify a customer...maybe do some sort of IP "sniff" so that if it comes back with an AT&T IP address, there's a logo beneath their name? IDK.

To me it is inconceivable to leave a provider because of the absence of a very minor player like Al Jazeera America. And then to leave because he is too lazy to check the channel lineup to see that U-Verse does have The Sundance Channel in SD and HD?

Al Jazeera America came into being on August 20,2013. This One Post One and Done Wonder, who signed up for the forum just yesterday, came to his conclusions five and a half months after it was announced that Al Jazeera America would not be a part of the U-Verse lineup.

I do not believe for a moment that Patrickmonk is a U-Verse subscriber. He is most likely someone who has another provider, and signed up for the forum just to say, "Hey, look at me. I can type!"

I dare him to post again to see what his reaction is to reading on this forum that U-Verse does have The Sundance Channel in SD and HD. This guy is long gone.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.