kregg451's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 19th, 2013 10:56 PM

Closed

No Al Jazeera

Please do not carry Al Jazeera.  We already have plenty of, so called, news channels that are nothing more than propogandists that sell advertising time.  That last thing the American television landscape needs is to be inundated with the propoganda of Islamic extremists.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

Yup OPW's can be an issue.  BUT we all came to this board with no posts - maybe with an issue, to learn something and so on.  It's up to them to stay and be productive (and up to us to make 'em feel welcome).  Some are just going to be OPW, sadly.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

Spoke out in favor of Al Jazeera?   I must have slept through that.

I PM'd you.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

10 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

Yup OPW's can be an issue.  BUT we all came to this board with no posts - maybe with an issue, to learn something and so on.  It's up to them to stay and be productive (and up to us to make 'em feel welcome).  Some are just going to be OPW, sadly.

It is very difficult to make a new poster welcome, when he comes on here with an agenda posting in all capital letters, and threatening to quit U-Verse after he makes his unreasonable demands.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

10 years ago

@dwinth wrote:

It has now been around four months since Current TV became Al Jazeera America. Since AT&T decided not to carry Al Jazeera America, does anyone have any information from friends with other providers or just reading boards from other providers how popular this channel actually is after four months.

I wonder if, after all of the controversy on this board,  Al Jazeera America is another non-entity just like it's predecessor, Current TV.

I would not be surprised at all that very few if any U-Verse subscribers actually left because of the non-inclusion of Al Jazeera America to the U-Verse lineup. If anyone threatens to leave now after I just opened up an old wound from four months ago, I would have to say that they are probably not even U-Verse subscribers. We have not had any great amount of posts concering Al Jazeera America, other than a few scattered in October and November, since early September.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Even more of a non-entity it seems:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/18/al-jazeera-america-ratings_n_4297591.html

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

Please send a Private Message to Alex. He is one of the Community Managers on this forum.

@MicCheck wrote:

@dwinth wrote:

It has now been around four months since Current TV became Al Jazeera America. Since AT&T decided not to carry Al Jazeera America, does anyone have any information from friends with other providers or just reading boards from other providers how popular this channel actually is after four months.

I wonder if, after all of the controversy on this board,  Al Jazeera America is another non-entity just like it's predecessor, Current TV.

I would not be surprised at all that very few if any U-Verse subscribers actually left because of the non-inclusion of Al Jazeera America to the U-Verse lineup. If anyone threatens to leave now after I just opened up an old wound from four months ago, I would have to say that they are probably not even U-Verse subscribers. We have not had any great amount of posts concering Al Jazeera America, other than a few scattered in October and November, since early September.

Even more of a non-entity it seems:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/18/al-jazeera-america-ratings_n_4297591.html

It doesn't matter how low of rating it is, I the end user should be deciding what I watch.  I understand if they could not reach a deal but my bigger fear is that AJA not being available is an ideological decision and not a contractual one.  Bear in mind that it's okay to have the foreign owned Bein but not AJA. Smiley Indifferent

dwinth: Most of the posters that come here do not have an agenda other than letting us know that they want TVG, Hallmark, AJA, hate the 8 hour screensaver and so on.  I gar-un-darn-tee you if someone comes here witrh a suggestion, ask about a channel and so on, there are the same three or so fellow ACEs who are pre-programmed to shoot them down.  Not too welcoming.  Most of these posters are not "cable company:" plants but some are quite nutty.  The main thing is, if folks are shot down, it just turns into an Ace Club.  Smiley Very Happy  We may not always agree but lets all go get a drink, lol.

ace-club.jpg

1 Attachment

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

10 years ago

I dropped the competing carrier in my town because I was having too many internet problems so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, but I really don't like what is going on and ATT's decisions to engage in viewpoint discrimination bothers me.  The fact that some subscribers might be offended by the content is not grounds to exclude it and despite the corporate excuses, I really believe that ATT is thinking that middle Americans (if there is such a creature) will have a bias against Al Jazeera because of its reporting on 9/11.

My position is that I want to hear viewpoints that I don't agree with.  It makes me know what the other side is saying which is always a good thing.  It gives me a better ability to talk intelligently on issues and sometimes they are right!  I am a Jewish and I'd like to hear what they say.  

I think that internet providers and cable tv carriers are like common carriers and have a duty to carry messages and viewpoints that they don't agree with.  How would people react if Uverse started blocking access to Verizon.com, Tmobile.com, Comcast.com, etc?  

Am I going to leave ATT over the issue?  Probably not, but they definitely lost a lot of points and I think most defections take place because of multiple issues.  

Former Employee

• 

310 Messages

10 years ago

@stufried wrote:

I dropped the competing carrier in my town because I was having too many internet problems so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, but I really don't like what is going on and ATT's decisions to engage in viewpoint discrimination bothers me.  The fact that some subscribers might be offended by the content is not grounds to exclude it and despite the corporate excuses, I really believe that ATT is thinking that middle Americans (if there is such a creature) will have a bias against Al Jazeera because of its reporting on 9/11.

My position is that I want to hear viewpoints that I don't agree with.  It makes me know what the other side is saying which is always a good thing.  It gives me a better ability to talk intelligently on issues and sometimes they are right!  I am a Jewish and I'd like to hear what they say.  

I think that internet providers and cable tv carriers are like common carriers and have a duty to carry messages and viewpoints that they don't agree with.  How would people react if Uverse started blocking access to Verizon.com, Tmobile.com, Comcast.com, etc?  

Am I going to leave ATT over the issue?  Probably not, but they definitely lost a lot of points and I think most defections take place because of multiple issues.  

Were you in the meeting where they had this discussion? If you google, you will find out there are legal issues that have nothing to do with your suspected "viewpoint discrimination"

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

Fox: I was not at the negotiating table and I'm sure that stufried was not either.  BUT the timelines on the legal wranglings  did not start happening until after it was clear that AT&T was not going to carry AJA.

Stu and myself are stating an opinion - (which we are allowed, right?) that the decision not to carry AJA could be very well based on politics and ideology instead of legal or contractual issues.  After all, they did carry beIN sports, which is under the same umbrella.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

Stu and myself are stating an opinion - (which we are allowed, right?) that the decision not to carry AJA could be very well based on politics and ideology instead of legal or contractual issues.  After all, they did carry beIN sports, which is under the same umbrella.

While you said "it is my fear that...", Stu did not frame "but I really don't like what is going on and ATT's decisions to engage in viewpoint discrimination" with "in my opinion" or anything similar; he stated it as fact.

It is my opinion that AT&T is working on a profit motive and calculated that the rate they were getting for the channel before the branding change wasn't enough to deal with the public backlash (and potential loss in revenue therefrom), i.e. the content had changed and the value proposition was different.  If AJA had come up with more $$, then it would be on right now.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

I hope that it was a contract dispute and nothing more. Smiley Happy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.