Posted Aug 19, 2013
3:56:53 PM
No Al Jazeera

Please do not carry Al Jazeera.  We already have plenty of, so called, news channels that are nothing more than propogandists that sell advertising time.  That last thing the American television landscape needs is to be inundated with the propoganda of Islamic extremists.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Aug 20, 2013 8:49:18 AM
(0)
Community Manager

We dropped the Current TV channel, and will not carry Al Jazeera America, on U-verse due to contract disputes. We could not reach an agreement with the owner that we believe provided value for our customers and our business.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

No Al Jazeera

100 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(100)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 19, 2013 4:13:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Al Jazeera America is scheduled to start broadcasting on channel 189 Tuesday 8/20.

Let's not pass judgement just yet.

Tuesday launch

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: No Al Jazeera

2 of 101 (5,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 19, 2013 4:47:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Aug 19, 2013 at 4:47:36 PM

kregg451 wrote:

Please do not carry Al Jazeera.  We already have plenty of, so called, news channels that are nothing more than propogandists that sell advertising time.  That last thing the American television landscape needs is to be inundated with the propoganda of Islamic extremists.

Al Jazeera America is not propoganda from Islamic extremists.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
3 of 101 (5,443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 3:48:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I might tune in to see whether or not they are going to be an unbiased media outlet, but if they are as left leaning as CNN, MSNBC I'll just hide the channel.  If they are neutral, I might make them more of my regular news outlet.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

4 of 101 (5,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Aug 20, 2013 8:49:18 AM
(0)
Community Manager

We dropped the Current TV channel, and will not carry Al Jazeera America, on U-verse due to contract disputes. We could not reach an agreement with the owner that we believe provided value for our customers and our business.

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 101 (5,222 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 9:58:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Aug 20, 2013 at 9:59:07 AM

oufanindallas wrote:

I might tune in to see whether or not they are going to be an unbiased media outlet, but if they are as left leaning as CNN, MSNBC I'll just hide the channel.  If they are neutral, I might make them more of my regular news outlet.

Well OUFan, as you can see from Dmitri's post, no you won't tune in.  That is too bad as I have heard that they are very neutral.  The Al Jazera website channel finder for my zip shows that they are on 189.  Oops.  U-Verse is not an option on their request a provider section as they still think that we have them.  They are on Comcast, 4DTV (freeview)Dish and Direct but I do not see Bright House.

When will the posts start to fly in, asking for the loss of any programming on 189? LOL!

[ Edited ]
6 of 101 (5,167 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 10:06:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

Well OUFan, as you can see from Dmitri's post, no you won't tune in.  That is too bad as I have heard that they are very neutral.  The Al Jazera website channel finder for my zip shows that they are on 189.  Oops.  U-Verse is not an option on their request a provider section as they still think that we have them.  They are on Comcast, 4DTV (freeview)Dish and Direct but I do not see Bright House.

When will the posts start to fly in, asking for the loss of any programming on 189? LOL!

That won't happen. Nobody watched Current!

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

7 of 101 (5,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 10:13:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

americangame wrote:

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

That won't happen. Nobody watched Current!

Oh it will happen!  Trust me.  The few times that a channel has left (taken down by the channel owners) or an agreement not reached, there has been at least a few such silly requests.  I want my two cents that they paid each month, lol.

8 of 101 (5,147 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 5:55:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

I watched Current, it was the reason I left Charter.  Cenk Uygur and John Fugelsang were the best journalists in the business.  Al Jazeera is supposed to have a pro-western slant, but from an Arab point of view that could be interesting.  My at&t contract expires in a few weeks, and with Dexter and Breaking Bad winding down I will go to the cheapest basic tv/internet package I can find. 

9 of 101 (4,813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 6:45:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

You know, pittman, I might just do the same thing.  I was so looking forward to this channel, and I am not even on a contract.  Comcrap, here I come :smileysad:.

10 of 101 (4,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 7:38:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

This is unbelievable that people are threatening to quit U-Verse over a news channel that no one had cared about or even mentioned before Current TV sold out to Al Jazeera. I never even heard of Current TV until it was brought out that Al Gore was behind it.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

11 of 101 (4,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 8:02:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dwinth wrote:

This is unbelievable that people are threatening to quit U-Verse over a news channel that no one had cared about or even mentioned before Current TV sold out to Al Jazeera. I never even heard of Current TV until it was brought out that Al Gore was behind it.

There was a Current TV? :smileyvery-happy:

I think their ratings were even lower than MSNBC and CNN if that is even possible.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

12 of 101 (4,689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 8:10:28 PM
(0)
Scholar
Al Jazeera is fighting for their right to be carried . I might not watch them, but they deserve their voice here in the supposed land of the free

13 of 101 (4,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 8:41:34 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well,it's time to reach an agreement! 

14 of 101 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 8:51:23 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by LoveHD on Aug 21, 2013 at 8:54:33 AM

I prefer having the opportunity to view Al Jazeera America and reaching my own viewpoint on it before anyone, including kregg451 (who originated this thread), attempts to tell me whether he approves of its inclusion in a channel lineup.

[ Edited ]
15 of 101 (4,553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 12:11:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

Al Jazeera is simply a news organization that falls somewhere between MSNBC and CNN ideologically.  Like BBC, it focuses on international news while avoiding the entertainment-only stories such as what Justin Beiber or Lindsey Lohan happens to be doing today.  AT&T Uverse seems to be engaging in censorship here, which is a truly un-American response.  Even if you do not want to watch Al Jazeera, it seems hypocritical to engage in unconstitutional action in order to support American ideals.

16 of 101 (4,451 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 12:20:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by dwinth on Aug 21, 2013 at 12:23:03 PM

FortWorthTexas wrote:

Al Jazeera is simply a news organization that falls somewhere between MSNBC and CNN ideologically.  Like BBC, it focuses on international news while avoiding the entertainment-only stories such as what Justin Beiber or Lindsey Lohan happens to be doing today.  AT&T Uverse seems to be engaging in censorship here, which is a truly un-American response.  Even if you do not want to watch Al Jazeera, it seems hypocritical to engage in unconstitutional action in order to support American ideals.

If the government interferes in the freedom of speech, that is unconstitutional. If a private business decides what information, channels, books, etc they want you to have, that is their right, whether you agree with it or not. That is the big difference.

I personally would like to see U-Verse include beIN Sports and Al Jazeera. The more channels the better.

[ Edited ]
17 of 101 (4,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 4:54:48 PM
(0)
Teacher
It would have been more correct to replace the word "unconstitutional" with the word "un-American." Censorship by corporations controlling access to news media may be constitutional, but it is certainly in opposition to the spirit of freedom of speech.

18 of 101 (4,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 4:59:26 PM
(0)
Teacher
Oh wait....I did use the word "un-American!" Well, fancy that.

19 of 101 (4,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 10:06:51 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Joakim Laga on Aug 21, 2013 at 10:08:40 PM

I was very interested in this channel and even had the launch date marked on my calendar.  I have followed them online and they are actually quite unbiased and I get news from around the world.  I was seeing them as an option to CNN.  I am quite disappointed in AT&T's actions.  I subscribe to their top packages and am already in the process of finding a cable/satellite provider other than U-verse who will allow me to watch this channel.  It's unfortunate, as I was happy with their service.  However, I pay over $220 monthly and I don't even get to watch what I want now.

Shame on AT&T.

[ Edited ]
20 of 101 (4,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2013 4:36:45 AM
(0)
Professor

Hats off to AT&T we do not need this rubbish

21 of 101 (4,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2013 9:25:34 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Aug 22, 2013 at 9:26:13 AM

shoe wrote:

Yes, comrade!  Ve vill vatch only vhat you dictate, comrade!

So much for the Land of the Free.

[ Edited ]
22 of 101 (4,129 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2013 10:16:35 AM
(0)
Tutor

shoe wrote:

....and I could say the same about Fox News.  I actually think the more viewpoints available, the better.  Wish UVerse would get Al Jazeera news ASAP (and beIN Sport).

23 of 101 (4,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2013 11:08:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

shoe wrote:

Yes, comrade!  Ve vill vatch only vhat you dictate, comrade!

So much for the Land of the Free.

Yeah SJ, I wish that AT&T would have let us have that decision whether to watch or not.,  I did not realize that AJ also owned Bein Sports.  AT&T's refusal to carry that, should have been a prophetic red flag to them not carrying AJA.  One of their worst decisions, right up there with NASA on U300 and higher.

24 of 101 (4,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2013 1:32:29 PM
(0)
Scholar
Bravo, Some Joe! Best post ever! 1 million kudos to you!

25 of 101 (4,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2013 1:35:22 PM
(0)
Scholar
Shoe is just like Keith who started that other thread"programming". I told him what I thought there and challenged him to answer my post, but he never did. Shoe probably won't post again either. Why? THEY KNOW THEY ARE WRONG!!! Typical of those types...

26 of 101 (4,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2013 1:43:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

Shoe is just like Keith who started that other thread"programming". I told him what I thought there and challenged him to answer my post, but he never did. Shoe probably won't post again either. Why?

Are you, codycooper864, saying that there are trolls present here in "AT&T Community Forums?"

:mansurprised:

27 of 101 (4,014 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2013 2:04:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

codycooper864 wrote:
Shoe is just like Keith who started that other thread"programming". I told him what I thought there and challenged him to answer my post, but he never did. Shoe probably won't post again either. Why? THEY KNOW THEY ARE WRONG!!! Typical of those types...

Shoe is not a one post wonder, Has 2234 posts to his name, and will most likely post again. Do not make assumption about things that you know nothing about.

28 of 101 (3,993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2013 2:05:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

LoveHD wrote:

Shoe is just like Keith who started that other thread"programming". I told him what I thought there and challenged him to answer my post, but he never did. Shoe probably won't post again either. Why?

Are you, codycooper864, saying that there are trolls present here in "AT&T Community Forums?"

:mansurprised:

There are Trolls on this forum? No! I don't believe it.  :smileysurprised:

29 of 101 (3,992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2013 2:35:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

LOL!

30 of 101 (3,976 Views)