For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
disankey's profile

Mentor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, April 24th, 2013 2:53 PM

New on demand Format

The new on demand format is awful!  The boxes look like att is trying to be like the facebook 'likes' which suck anyway.  Those big boxes you are using don't tell us a thing and certainly do not make navigating the on demand list easier, they make it harder.  When I finally do get to a list the font is way to small, the layout gives me a headache and we need to go through far more steps to get where we want to go. Also, when we finally get to a list of shows we now have the title of the episode rather than date it aired. Who knows the show's titles in the right order? NO ONE!! 

Who comes up with these ideas must be on drugs and don't you people trial new ideas with a variety of your population? It seems like you may have had 15 year olds trial it and forget asking adults for their opinion.

"if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

@tgoodhue225 wrote:

baseballisback - Yeah, I might be inclined to agree with you as it refers to almost anything else, but not this topic.  Definitely not this topic; people are coming in here legitimately to complain about how they just totally screwed up the on-demand.  Maybe you haven't been unlucky enough to experience it yet.

I've never experienced it once it was on the list version,, whole thing loads  in 4-5 seconds.  Then after I've loaded it the 1st time, subsequent loading times are 1-2 seconds.

There are 3 variables possibly affecting this, Nid to RG connection, RG to DVR/STB commection, DVR/STB connection to the TV.

ATT knows about the On Demand 'problems', but will take awhile to fix the software, especially since MS is selling MediaRoom to Ericsson. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I spent an excessive amount of time re-setting passwords etc, in order to login to the forums because I want to let AT&T know that the new On Demand format is simply the MOST MORONIC CHANGE I've been apart to since I signed up at Uverse's inception in my area FOUR YEARS AGO!!!

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE!!  What on earth are the gurus who come up with these ideas thinking?!   It takes FOREVER times 17 to load, then the menu is completely idiotic....and if that weren't enough, the txt under the ridiculously LAME icons ON MY 80-INCH TV are IMPOSSIBLE TO SEE owing to their .3 pt font and the most unreadable color blue imaginable!!!

Unrelated to the above described issue with the ridiculous new On Demand format, I have had over FOUR HOURS of interaction with AT&T personnel lately owing to a score of problems, which STILL remain unresolved and am seriously contemplating eradicating myself completely from any and all association with AT&T/Uverse.

12 calls, three chat sessions -- three troubleshooting escallations up to LEVEL THREE SUPERVISORS and STILL NO ONE has been able to re-set my "refer-a-friend" account so that I can access my referrals online -- and THIS is simply so that I can provide AT&T with new business that I promised several friends I would do.   Yes, I must need my head examined!?!!    NO REWARD IS WORTH ALL THE YET-TO-BE-SOLVED HEADACHES I'VE EXPERIENCED OVER THE PAST WEEK!!!    I finally had to call retention & EXPLAIN to department staff that if they couldn't MANUALLY CREDIT MY ACCOUNT for the referral so I could schedule service installation for my friend, that I was going to cancel immediately and switch to XFINITY/COMCAST.....AND bring my friend and several past referrals along with me too!!

No, I'm STILL not able to login to my "refer-a-friend" account online, and thus....I'm done referring new business to AT&T....

Wake up AT&T, you're letting what began as a VAST improvment over the competition slip away & digress at a severely rapid pace.

Signed, an OVERLY-disgrunteled, likely soon to be "former" AT&T customer.

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

11 years ago

I have the highest speed internet, the 450 TV package, and my land line. We also like to rent movies with On Demand 2-3 times a month. I also thought it was extremely high, but when I broke it down everything seemed right in line with all the other cable companies. It's the movie rentals that usually brings the price up. 

Here's a breakdown of last months bill;

TV 450 package: $167.xx 

High Speed Internet: $56.xx

Land Line Phone: $36.xx

2 OD Movies: $14.00 

Service charges and taxes from everyone, lol.

So as you can see, it does all add up. If I paid each one separately, it comes up to about the same. Plus if you look at each charge for the service, it's doesn't look too expensive. Hey, you have to pay to entertain yourself, lol........

Bundles are good, one bill for three services.

ROK 😉 

Guru

• 

417 Messages

11 years ago

The on-demand menuing system, even with list mode, is too slow for the VIP-1216 boxes. It just is. It takes 15 seconds for the initial menu to load and while the menuing system is snappy enough, bringing up the descriptions is painful, especially if you are just browsing.

The search function (specifically, the "more showtimes" feature) just doesn't work. It will bring up shows that don't match the title, shows that do match the title are listed as being at the wrong time (usually, one hour off) and so forth.

Still, the biggest problem is not the menuing software, it is the overall lack of content. AT*T should take whatever resources they have in software development and invest it in content. When the amount of content can match Time Warner or Comcast, then worry about making stuff easier to find. Currently there just isn't enough to warrant an extensive revision to the on-demand menus.  My two cents.

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, this has been listed as a solution in this thread many, many times, however it is NOT a solution.  It is at best a work-around for a huge problem.  The list view works better (not great, but a little better) however, the core of what is completely wrong with the new system still exists in list view.  It is still slow and when you get close to what you want, it still has stupid big boxes for the name of the shows. Furthermore, there are about an extra dozen picks you need to make to actually watch a show from the menu than you did before they changed the system.  List view does not change the number of picks you need to make.  There are way too many picks you need to make to watch something now than there ever were before.  Each step is slow even at the best of times.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

I agree the new format stinks.

Why the eye candy..?

it is slower and cognitively harder to process... did you usability test this at all?

And what happend to Discovery On Demand....?

Seems u-verse service is no longer as appealing as it once was.... 😞

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

@marcindublin wrote:

The on-demand menuing system, even with list mode, is too slow for the VIP-1216 boxes. It just is. It takes 15 seconds for the initial menu to load and while the menuing system is snappy enough, bringing up the descriptions is painful, especially if you are just browsing.

The search function (specifically, the "more showtimes" feature) just doesn't work. It will bring up shows that don't match the title, shows that do match the title are listed as being at the wrong time (usually, one hour off) and so forth.

Still, the biggest problem is not the menuing software, it is the overall lack of content. AT*T should take whatever resources they have in software development and invest it in content. When the amount of content can match Time Warner or Comcast, then worry about making stuff easier to find. Currently there just isn't enough to warrant an extensive revision to the on-demand menus.  My two cents.

I still had my 1216 when I first got the updated On Demand and it wasn't that slow, initial load was 6-7 seconds and had, in the Free Show section, descriptions come up as quick as the old system did.

Unluckily, ATT can't get alot of the On Demand like the cable companies, they hold a monopoly on much of it.  There is no compunction for them to provide to their IPTV competitor anything.  ATT has to make decisions when/where they can. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

This new format takes forever to use and is not accurate 10% of the time. Can we go back to old format?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

We are experiencing horrific slowness ever since AT&T launched the new look and navigation in U-verse OnDemand. I used to be able to quickly browse and select shows or movies on OnDemand. Now, each individual step takes at least 15 - 30 seconds, so the overall process of simply finding and starting a show take several minutes, all the while looking at the loading circle.

In addition, U-Verse tv Search functionality is now super slow, and the results (when you finally get them) are kind of ridiculous. If I painstakingly type in True Blood (which used to take nano-seconds and now is fragmented) the very first result should be what matches your search criteria. Common sense, common practce. Now the show True Blood make not even be on the first page of results and has many duplicative listings. This used to be fast and easy, but someone designed and launched a truly awful new interface without proper testing.

I called Tech Support and they sent someone out to assess this issue, as well as one involving low signal in the areas of my home furtherst from the main box and router. Apparently, there is nothing that can be done. If this situation isn't rectified, we'll have to look at other options. I can't imagine we're the only ones with this problem?

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

11 years ago

@MRROK wrote:

I have the highest speed internet, the 450 TV package, and my land line. We also like to rent movies with On Demand 2-3 times a month. I also thought it was extremely high, but when I broke it down everything seemed right in line with all the other cable companies. It's the movie rentals that usually brings the price up. 

Here's a breakdown of last months bill;

TV 450 package: $167.xx 

High Speed Internet: $56.xx

Land Line Phone: $36.xx

2 OD Movies: $14.00 

Service charges and taxes from everyone, lol.

So as you can see, it does all add up. If I paid each one separately, it comes up to about the same. Plus if you look at each charge for the service, it's doesn't look too expensive. Hey, you have to pay to entertain yourself, lol........

Bundles are good, one bill for three services.

ROK 😉 

I certainly don't doubt you, but this page says the U-450 is approx $120 per month

http://www.att.com/u-verse/shop/index.jsp?shopFilterId=100004#fbid=eIXacDX0I73

I'm curious as to how you're paying over $50 more for it. As of the last time I checked, the HD fee and one extra STB were included in that, so you're not paying the $7 STB fee for your first extra box. I can understand that taxes and fees take the bill up, but I'm only paying about $3 or $4 in those taxes.

Call them up and get some promotional offers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.