For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
Troy4Life's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, September 1st, 2014 8:47 AM

NVG589 and NETGEAR FVS318

Hello,

I recently moved and AT&T provided me with a new router (NVG589). Unfortunately this new device isn't working the way the previous one was (which was shipped back to AT&T). I would like to set it up to work with my NETGEAR FVS318, however I am experiencing significant loss in Internet download speeds because of the current setup.

When connected to the NVG589 (LAN or WLAN), my download speeds test at 18-20 Mbps. When connected to my NETGEAR or the Cisco AP behind it, the speed drops to 4 Mbps. That's an 80% loss in speed.

I would like to keep the WLAN running on the NVG589, but have my NETGEAR handle the NAT. I also have a Windows Server DC behind the NETGEAR that handles DHCP and DNS.

I currently have the NVG589 in IP passthrough mode with a Fixed configuration pointing to the MAC address of my NETGEAR's WAN port.

The NVG589 is connected to the WAN port of my NETGEAR.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @Troy4Life,

I am sorry about the issues you are having with your internet speed, but I will be happy to help. One thing to try is disabling your QoS and Firewall to see if that will make a difference. I had the same problem, and I had to adjust the firewall settings on my 3rd party router. 

Other than that, my only other thoughts is to make sure there are no possible issues of a Double NAT problem, and make sure the Netgear is using a different subnet than the NVG589 (192.168.1.x by default).

Hope this helps.

-David T

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hello David,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I don't have QoS running on my NETGEAR and I have already tested the Internet speeds w/ and w/o the firewall.

Regarding Double NAT, I have enabled IP passthrough on my NVG589 and am pointing it to the MAC address of my NETGEAR's WAN interface. This should eliminate the double NAT possibility.

Also, my internal addresses are on the 10.2.1.x subnet. I had this all working perfectly prior to my move. Swapping the routers was a bad idea, but according to AT&T I didn't have a choice.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Troy4Life,

With your previous router, was it an NVG589 or a different U-verse router?

-David T

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hi David,

Sorry I haven't responded. I've been away for a few days.

My previous router was a 3801HGV. Unfortunately, I was told I had to return this unit when I transferred service to my new residence.

Please offer any other suggestions you may have. Not being able to get full bandwidth utilization is becoming problematic.

Thank you.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @Troy4Life,

I am not sure why the NVG589 is having issues with the Netgear router besides a possible compatibility issue. One thing we can try is to see if it is possible to switch you back to the 3801. I will be sending you a private message to gather more information.

-David T

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

Did you resolve this?

We are a technical services company, and have experience setting this up.

Litecom.Net

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @Litecomman,

We are sorry about the issues you are having, but we will be glad to help. The best thing to do is setup the equipment in DMZ or passthrough mode. Below are the instructions to do so. Just choose the gateway that matches yours.

Make sure you go through all steps, including the ones for disabling advanced firewall settings.

Hope this helps.

-ATTU-verseCare

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.