Posted Sep 10, 2013
Motorola NVG589 port forwarding

U Vers replaced my 2-Wire with the  NVG589, I have several security camers installed and i am trying to set up port forwarding for them. They left me no manual. I have tried web searches, nothing. I was able to set the cameras up on the 2-wire, the Foscam web site does not have anything for the 589. on the NVG589 I set up in Nat/gaming what I thought was correct but outside the house I can not gain access. it states "Privite Network" "this camera is on a privite network and will not work". typically when port forwarding it sets up a http address. I cant find where or how it does that.

so I need help please.

dennis

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
9-11-2013 7:14:41 PM
(0)

The manual is available at 

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=876244&fcc_id=GZ5NVG589

The instructions for port-forwarding custom services are on page 71. Make sure you are forwarding the ports for the right device.  I assign a static IP to each device that require port forwarding to avoid problems.

Accepted Solution

Motorola NVG589 port forwarding

45 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
Replies
(45)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Sep 11, 2013
(0)

The manual is available at 

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&called...

The instructions for port-forwarding custom services are on page 71. Make sure you are forwarding the ports for the right device.  I assign a static IP to each device that require port forwarding to avoid problems.

Re: Motorola NVG589 port forwarding

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2013
(0)
BIG THANKS, YOUDAMAN

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 7, 2013
(0)

Would you happen to have a copy of this since our Government has shutdown and this site is no longer abvailable?

Thank you very much

[edited for privacy]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 11, 2013
(0)

I am having the same issue, I just had the tech come out and install a new NVG589 and enable my dedicated Ip addresses.  I am unable to open any of the ports on a selected machine and the user manual linked above is unaviable due to the Government shutdown.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 12, 2013
(0)

I recently had Uverse installed then added a Foscam FI8910, I also need to forwaerd the port. Any chance of emailing the solution as I am leaving for vacation in 2 days. I was able to get the camera to email pictures of motion or noise but I cannot log into it to pan and tilt. Please help. Would be much appreciated.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 14, 2013
(0)

I have not had a chance to test the port forwarding options on an NVG589, but it is very similar to the NVG510.

1. Login to your modem at http://192.168.1.254 (or whatever the default gateway is set to)
  2. Click on the Firewall tab at the top
  3. Click on NAT/Gaming
  4. Click on Custom Services and fill out the fields as necessary and save and return to the previous page
  5. Back on the NAT/Gaming main page, choose the Service you just created, and then choose the appropriate device in the Needed by Device field.
  6. Click Add.

Hopefully that works, but if the NVG589 is anything like the NVG510 when it comes to this, it has an issue of having a device with a public IP address in the Needed by Device field. If that's the case, the best option in my opinion is to use your own router for port forwarding options or just go passthrough straight to your device, and just setup the NVG589 in a passthrough mode with that router or straight to that device.

To do so:

1. Login to your modem at http://192.168.1.254 (or whatever the default gateway is set to)
  3. Click on IP Passthrough
  4. On Passthrough Mode choose DHCPS-fixed
  5. On Passthrough MAC Address, input the MAC Address of your router or device. (If you are not sure of the MAC Address, you can locate it by going to Device -> Device List in the NVG589. It will have a list of all the devices connected to it along with the MAC Address of the Device).
  6. Click Save at the bottom.

Hopefully, this helps out. Let us know how it goes.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

My issue is that the NGV589 does NOT see any Devices but itself in the drop down box when I try to add port forwarding under 'Firewall'. And there is no manual option to add IP Addresses or MAC Addresses to tell it to do so. So if it sees no devices attached to itself, it cannot forward a port to anything thus no capability do very simple Remote Desktop because I cannot reach my home PC.

ATT Tech Support agreed this is a significant Modem Software Failure/Bug in the Motorola Box - the communication works just fine between the NGV589 and my Netgear 6300 (new top end router) but when asked to scan for devices and show the results, the NGV589 fails to find anything and just shows itself. ATT has no other options for me at this point.

A good example of why Motorola failed and got sold.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

Texaszman are you running static IP's?

I got my setup configured using a older WRT54G, I simply let the NVG589 assign my router a static ip address and no other configuration was needed in the NVG589.  I was able to configure my port forwarding using WRT54G.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

No unfortunately.  I have the 54Mbps 2-line bonded pair Uverse service with the NGV589 modem.  Since the NGV589 sees only itself as a connected device, it will not allow me to setup a fixed address.  

ATT offered to swap out the modem, but stated they are currently having numerous issues with routers attached to the NGV589 and did not think the problem was hardware related. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

Hi texaszman,

I apologize for the inconveniences. I think the way they are instructing you to setup your services is not the best way to go. I have ran into the issues you are getting as stated above, and the best way is to do exactly what jman761 is doing and let your router handle the port forwarding. You want to set your router in IP passthrough mode.

To do so:

3. Click on IP Passthrough
  4. On Passthrough Mode choose DHCPS-fixed
  5. On Passthrough MAC Address, input the MAC Address of your router or device. (If you are not sure of the MAC Address, you can locate it by going to Device -> Device List in the NVG589. It will have a list of all the devices connected to it along with the MAC Address of the Device).
  6. Click Save at the bottom.

Hope this helps.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 27, 2013
(0)

DavidCS how will this effect the uverse wireless television signal?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 27, 2013
(0)

It shouldn't affect it at all.  Be sure to keep your IPTV devices on different ports of the RG than your High Speed Internet devices (such as this router).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 27, 2013
(0)
thanks JefferMC...will I just use my att ssid and password for the Linksys to connect to my Motorola nvg589?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 27, 2013
(0)

I've been assuming you were going to run a cable from the NVG 589 to your router.  That said, if you want to use your router as an access point so that you can use both of them for wireless, you may use the AT&T SSID and wireless key on it, or you can decide to set both of them to something different.  Completely up to you.

If you just want to use your own router and turn wireless off on the NVG 589, then you could still use the AT&T info, but I'd make up my own.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 27, 2013
(0)

thanks again JefferMC

i do want to use my own router for security vision. i am planning on running a cable from my NGV to my linksys and a different ssid and password for the linksys. I thought i would still need some type of authorization to make the link.

To make sure i got my head around this....all i do is follow the passthrough instructions from earlier and connect my linksys to the nvg?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 27, 2013
(0)

There is no authorization information you have to enter.  I've been told that these instructions for an NVG 510 work well for an NVG 589 as well:

https://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-General-Care-and-Support/Using-your-own-router-with-the-Motorola-N...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2013
(0)

Hi x32c,

The information that JefferMC should get your network setup perfectly. The only authorization needed is if when you go through the settings on the NVG589, it will ask for a device access code/system password. You will find that on the router, and once you input your linksys MAC address in passthrough mode, then it will give the linksys full access.

Let us know if you run into any further issues, and we will be glad to help.

-David T

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2013
(0)

Hi DavidCS,

Thanks for your reply.

JefferMC has been a great resource as well as your replies. I do have a question for one or both of you.. The link JefferMC referred me to states to use "default server" in allocation mode in lieu of "passthrough". I believe both of you recommended using "passthrough". 

Does it make a difference?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2013
(0)

It does not depending on your setup. With the default server option, it will allow you to enter the IP address of the device you want to pass the information to in the internal address field. With passthrough, there are several options, but I used Fixed so you can use the MAC address. Both work equally as well, but I prefer MAC address as it cannot dynamically change but the IP Address could possibly, but probably still will not.

-David T

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2013
(0)
Thanks for clarification.. One last question.....the router would connect its internet connection to an Ethernet connection on the nvg?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2013
(0)
Yes take your router and plug the "internet" port into any port on the NVG

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2013
(0)

Correct. That should work out perfectly.

-David T

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 29, 2013
(0)

thakks to all that helped...

i have internet access on both the nvg and linksys. different ssids and different [passwords. how the heck did that happen?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 29, 2013
(0)

I am glad you were able to get everything up and running. I would definitely recommend disabling the wireless ability on the NVG and let the linksys handle it, so you do not run into any wireless conflicts.

-David T

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 29, 2013
(0)

yes that would be a good idea.

thanks to all.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 9, 2013
(0)

Just wanted to chime in that I received a 589 today and had no issues with either recognizing devices on my network (like my NAS), no had any issues with setting up port forwarding of various services to said NAS.  So maybe the bugs seen by some have been worked out?

What I did have an issue with was the passthrough to my Linksys E3000 router.  Couldn't get it to pickup the external IP after configuring passthrough on the 589.  Luckly though I didn't really have to.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 11, 2013
(0)

Thank you for sharing your experience, joerockt. I am not sure why it's not picking up the external IP, but if you have it statically set, then it will take that IP instead. Either way, I am glad it is all working!

-David T

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 26, 2013
(0)

Helo I have similar troubles whit ATT since I changed from Cablevision to ATT uverse .

Before I changed to ATT Uverse  whit cablevision all worked well .

Here is my trouble now and ATT uverse  they do know  how fix the trouble , and miss lead and 10 different techs that have came in the last 2 months they say different and no one know how fix my trouble . ( In addition BAD INTERNET whit the 2wire Modems , after change to The Motorola  iNet internet is the same )

The trouble is that I Only have One way voice (audio) whit my  VoIP providers  , When I call I can hear phone ring and party answer , but they can't hear me .

HISTORY ;

ATT original installed  a 2wire Modem 364,  after 2 months they say the  trouble is I am  at the end of system to far and need to install  iNet Modem  so finale after 3 days  5 different installers  one came and plug the  New Modem Motorola NVG589 , left   forget install the internal Battery , He do know Nothing about the modem set ups or configuration so he left and let me to figure it out , the  worse  is that my trouble never was fix , I called and they send another Installer He say also he do  know how make changes in the Modem this way we  can change the Nat and set up the modem this way not block my incoming audio .

I can't get Customer support from Att uverse at USA all calls go to   at Philippines can't help they do know how , inclusive  level 2 techs they are not familiar whit how provision this Modems . and they send and other tech  , that also he do know Noting

I am sure that is how set up the Nat , the Ip Pass through, or fire wall .

Can someone  please can explain me how can fix it .

Note ;

I have a SnomOne Pbx on the Cloud Hosted , I have Polycom, Snom Phones , 3cx Soft phone ,  and no one of the devices I can set up whit  this bad ATT uverse Modems .

My sip Trunk providers  all point ATT Modems Blocking  the  audio ,. But by my surprise no one of the 10 ATT technicians  know any about any configuration for any of the ATT Uverse Modems in reality these technicians the only they know is bring The equipment plug it and hope  work , and blame to the previous tech , the wires at the pole , the central office ,. Is a Shame Of ATT Uverse incompetents  teck support ..

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 24, 2014
(0)

jman - I just got static ip's setup and can see the in the section under Home Network / Subnets and DHCP.

I even assigned one of my machines with one of those new shiny public IP addresses, and while that machine can talk to the world, the world can not talk back ... i.e., trying to get a web server setup on that new static ip, but port 80 is used/blocked by the GW.

So, I would guess that there is a config issue with these static ip's where they are not truly passed through the GW and I have full control of the ports, which is the reason for the static ip's.