longhornsk57's profile

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 6:39 PM

Looking for what HD channels I'd get with $10 HD add-on on U200...

So I finally got an HDTV and am thinking of getting the HD addon package for my u200 for $10 a month.  I cannot seem to find which channels come with it.  When I go to the uverse channel list thing and hit u200 and check HD, I feel like they are giving me every HD channel you can get, not the ones that would come with the u200 HD $10 addon.  I'm wondering about things like NFL network, History, FX etc...  Is there a list that I am missing?

Also, this is pretty random but I have seen some threads on here bashing AT&T for their customer support and such.  I don't use AT&T for wireless because they charge literally twice as much as T-Mobile (my current provider) but I use them for Uverse and Internet bundle and I am guessing most people don't come on the boards unless they are having an issue, but I'll tell you AT&T customer support, other than me being on hold, is like a million times better than Comcast, and I'm usually pretty pleased with what they do for me when I call.  I switched from Comcast a few years ago and never looked back.  Their service is better and the CS is much better and I don't really see me switching unless I find WAY cheaper service with Dish or something like that, but I doubt it.

Anyways, if one of you knows about the HD channel line-up please link me, I am probably missing something obvious that's right in front of my face.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

When you pay the $10 fee to add HD to a package, you will get the HD versions of any channels that are in your base package that are available.

For example, U200 contains your local channels, Discovery Networks, CNN, TBS, ESPN, etc. You will get the HD versions of all of those channels.

There are some channels in your base package that either do not have an HD equivalent (some of your independent local channels might fall into this category), or the HD version of the channel is not carried by AT&T U-Verse (for example, BBC America HD). Obviously, you won't get these channels in HD.

Note that not all the content on the HD channels is actually in HD.  Sometimes the programming that is shown originated as SD material, and is just being rebroadcast in an "upconverted" format.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

You will received the HD versions of the channels in your U200 Package subscription.  Enter your zip code in the link below and change the package view to U200 to see which HD versions of the SD channels that you will receive.

https://uma.att.com/general/201-AMSS-X-DMA2-POPUP.html

Also, the HD channels numbers are 1000 - 1999.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

12 years ago

That makes sense. Thanks.

on the "upconversion" point, is it actually better quality or is it basically like a 128 MP3 transcoded to 320 that sounds exactly the same but is still a bigger file?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

For upconverted SD->HD content, the picture may look somewhat better because there are fewer compression artifacts due to the higher bitrate used for the HD channels. The audio is usually better as well and is sometimes in 5.1, depending on the channel.

However, one drawback is that depending on the channel, the aspect ratio may be incorrect. SD material is almost always intended to be watched at a 1.33:1 (4x3) aspect ratio, and when SD content is broadcast on an HD channel, many providers "stretch" the picture to fit the HD channel's 1.78:1 (16x9) frame. Some TV's can "undo" the stretch, others do not have this option.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

12 years ago

I see, and is there a way to find out which channels are "true" HD and which are just "upconverted"?

Like a chart or something like that?

Also, I don't think I currently get NFL RedZone channel in my U200, but it looks like it shows up as an HD channel if I add the $10 HD package. How does that work? (or do I already get it and not know it?)

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

It's not so much based on the channel (all HD channels show some HD content at some points), but rather based on the program. Some programs that were originally filmed/shot in SD will simply always be rebroadcast in an upconverted format.

You'll see some channels that routinely show reruns of older TV programs (particularly ones from the 70s and 80s which were all shot on videotape) that are always upconverted SD. Contrast this with feature films, even older ones, that are often remastered in HD and shown in HD.

When you look in the program guide on AT&T's web site (or on 3rd-party sites like TitanTV), programs that are in full HD are usually marked with a "HD" icon.  You can usually use this to determine which shows are in true HD and which are upconverted.

The NFL RedZone channel is one of a group of approximately 12 HD channels that are part of a separate package called the HD Premium Tier. The HDPT channels are an EXTRA $5 per month on top of the $10/month HD fee.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for the info, I gues I'll go ahead and do the $10 addon and go from there.,

Since I get NFL Network normally I should get that one in HD without that premium add-on right?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Yes, if you get NFL Network normally on channel 630, you will get NFL Network HD on channel 1630 with purchase of the HD package at $10/month.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.