AustinTX#1's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 10:50 PM

Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

I greatly appreciate the value provided by AT&T in bundling tv/wireless/internet services.  Similarly, the bundling of channels allows customers to access a variety of programming at substantial savings.

However, occasionally, programming comes along that is so expensive and directed at such a narrow, niche market that it deserves to be left off of the programming options or ordered solely as an 'a la carte' option.  If the reports about the price tag  to cable providers  to offer the 'longhorn network' (by ESPN) are accurate, the only way it could be added to current bundled programming packages is at substantial cost to MANY people who have no interest in the programming. 

Please AT&T, keep prices low, by either not offering or charging ONLY those who desire this programming option.

Thanks!

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Below is an excerpt from an interesting article in light of some of the discussions about the new Longhorn Network.  It looks like the University of Hawaii has launched it's own network.  Hawaii will be joing the Mountain West Conference for football beginning in 2012.  The Mountain West Conference already has it's own regional sports network (The Mountain).

Oceanic Time Warner Cable on Friday will launch a channel dedicated to University of Hawaii athletics and other local product.

Positioned on channel 12 in standard-definition, and channel 1012 in high-definition, OC Sports will become the first regional sports network devoted to a specific university's athletic program, presenting live telecasts of University of Hawaii sports and an expanded menu of repeat telecasts throughout the year.

As in past years, Oceanic will also provide pay-per-view telecasts of many University of Hawaii football, basketball and wahine basketball games. OCSports PPV resides on channel 255 in standard-definition and channel 1255 in high-definition.

Back on the mainland, Time Warner Cable has increased its sports presence, securing Los Angeles Lakers rights to form a pair of Los Angeles-based RSNs, hired veteran David Rone as president of the recently established TWC Sports and committed to launching the Pac 12's array of  RSNs.

OCSports kicks off its coverage of the University of Hawaii's women soccer team's opener against Washington State University on Aug. 19.

As such, OC Sports will beat ESPN's and the University of Texas' Longhorn Network out of the chute. That RSN is scheduled to launch on Aug. 26.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/472532-Oceanic_Time_Warner_Cable_Kicks_Off_University_Of_Hawaii_Sports_Network.php

Scholar

• 

282 Messages

13 years ago

that sounds awesome for UH and their fans

not much new there tho, and not sure what it would have to do with uverse or the longhorn network.  UH has always had a special situation as far as tv rights go. if you live on the mainland, you can see their games for free, but in hawaii you have to buy ppvs if you want to watch most of the time.  and it makes sense, b/c UH's budget to send their teams to play on the mainland is exorbatant. that expense has to come from somewhere, whether its a conference or local network that helps pay for it. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

It has been wide reported The Longhorn Network (an ESPN venture) is negotiating with carriers. I have found the place to REQUEST a channel but would like a way to reqest having the channel to not be added.

This is the worst idea for a channel I have ever heard of and if one cent of my bill is used to pay for it I will cancel my service and go somewhere else. I love UVerse and want to stay but paying 40 cents extra for a crap channel is not on my agenda. 

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

13 years ago

Wow...you must be an Aggie.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

@mortimers wrote:

It has been wide reported The Longhorn Network (an ESPN venture) is negotiating with carriers. I have found the place to REQUEST a channel but would like a way to reqest having the channel to not be added.

This is the worst idea for a channel I have ever heard of and if one cent of my bill is used to pay for it I will cancel my service and go somewhere else. I love UVerse and want to stay but paying 40 cents extra for a crap channel is not on my agenda. 

ROLF.  That is too funny.  And what if the new carrier (going somewhere else) adds it?  And so on and so on.

If you really want to let someone know.  I would post your vehement opposition to this channel on AT&T's Facebook page.  Seriously.

Scholar

• 

254 Messages

13 years ago

Longhorn network is a 300 million dollar investment by ESPN. Per the internet, one provide has made a carrage agreement. If UV does get, it's rolled into the ESPN cost. Seeing a seperate charge for LN in not going to happen. I don't know who dreamed up the 40 cent rumor. Just block if if we get it! Geese I've never see so many poeple upset over the addition of a new channel.

DPR

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

I'd like to thank AT&T for (at least so far) not saddling us with an expensive channel that few want.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

The local Houston news mentioned it this morning, and that no one was carrying it (yet); but Comcrap was thinking about it.  Go Comcrap!  Smiley Very Happy

I guess UV is considered a small operator since they aren't even mentioned in THIS article.

As far as I can see, this is just another HUGE $ grab for ESPN.

Scholar

• 

282 Messages

13 years ago

just one fan's opinion of LHN's future, i dont see the LHN being a big deal short term. 

but im thinking that espn overpaying like they have for a LONGTERM deal...that deloss dodds shared their possible plans for UTs going independent during their agreement with ESPN, that he hasnt let outta the bag to anyone else yet, obviously. 

and dead pirate, ive seen all the different sub fees  for each seperate espn network broken down before, and its mentioned on wikipedia, considering how much espn is paying ut, 40 cents/sub dont surprise me a bit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_television_in_the_United_States

Typically, more popular cable channels command higher fees. For example, ESPN typically charges $4.08 per subscriber per month [3] for access to its main channel alone (plus another $1.05 for the rest of its English-language channels), the highest of any non-premium American cable channel and comparable to the premium channels. Other cable channels charge, on average, 5-20 cents per subscriber per month.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@spd2demun wrote:

The local Houston news mentioned it this morning, and that no one was carrying it (yet); but Comcrap was thinking about it.  Go Comcrap!  Smiley Very Happy

I guess UV is considered a small operator since they aren't even mentioned in THIS article.

As far as I can see, this is just another HUGE $ grab for ESPN.

The ony major provider who has announced carriage so far is Verizon FIOS which will start on September 1st.  

Everything thing is about money!  No for profit company makes a decision that is not all about the Benjamins.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.