For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
AustinTX#1's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 10:50 PM

Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

I greatly appreciate the value provided by AT&T in bundling tv/wireless/internet services.  Similarly, the bundling of channels allows customers to access a variety of programming at substantial savings.

However, occasionally, programming comes along that is so expensive and directed at such a narrow, niche market that it deserves to be left off of the programming options or ordered solely as an 'a la carte' option.  If the reports about the price tag  to cable providers  to offer the 'longhorn network' (by ESPN) are accurate, the only way it could be added to current bundled programming packages is at substantial cost to MANY people who have no interest in the programming. 

Please AT&T, keep prices low, by either not offering or charging ONLY those who desire this programming option.

Thanks!

Professor

• 

2K Messages

13 years ago

@oufanindallas wrote:

Like anyone in those 3 states would want to watch that ugly colored uniform team from south of Dallas.  Louisiana (LSU), New Mexico (Lobos), Oklahoma (Sooners and Cowboys and Golden Hurricane). Shoot, 1/2 of Texas wouldn't want to watch it because of the other teams in the state, (TAMU, TTU, TCU, SMU, Baylor, Houston, Rice, UNT.)

Not that you'd want to watch it all the time, but if your team is playing UT and the Longhorn Network is the only outlet for the game, i'd say your options are somewhat limited.

Professor

• 

2K Messages

13 years ago

@texasguy37 wrote:

Also, perhaps you have not learned to not tune to channels in your TV package that you have no interest in watching, or do you watch all the channels in the package that you currently receive?

It's kinda hard to watch all the channels, when I thought the Hallmark Channel was the only one worth watching.

Smiley Tongue

Professor

• 

2K Messages

13 years ago

@texasguy37 wrote:

First, the Notre Dame Network does not yet exist.  Second, no TV provider, including U-verse, has added the Longhorn Network to it lineup.

Also, yes, I realized that the opposition has nothing to do with TV programming.  It's about being opposed to the University of Texas and anything that it might be involved in.

College football?

Smiley Tongue

Scholar

• 

282 Messages

13 years ago

if somebody can find A&M's President's or their board of regents facebook page, and direct them to this thread, all their worries would be put to rest, seeing how there is nothing for anyone to be upset about 'n all

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6851396/texas-governor-says-texas-considering-move-sec

Texas A&M leaders have expressed concern about the Longhorn Network's effect on the longterm stability of the Big 12, and rumors of renewed talks between the university and the conference have persisted in recent weeks.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

13 years ago

TAMU wouldn't be able to cut it in the SEC.  They have had one good season in the past how many years and they  think they can hang with the SEC?  Yeah right.  I'm not a UT fan by any stretch of the imagination and TAMU is just jealous that they didn't think of starting their own network first.  Of course, they would have to have people that would actually watch it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I can understand everyone's sentiments about the Longhorn Network, especially if you are not a fan, but the same argument can be made about 75% of the other channels that you don't care about. Since the Longhorn Network is another ESPN channel, it should be part of the ESPN sports package that is more regionalize to Houston. In fact, why do we have the Big10 Network as part of U200? Shouldn't ATT drop the Big10 Network and add the Longhorn Network? We are in Texas? I would venture to guest that there are more UT fans than Big 10 fans in the Houston area. ATT U-Verse is filled with niche channels. I personally could do without HSN, TBN, TF, ION, TV LAND, CHILLER, GSN, JWLTV, BOOM, HUB, SWRV, etc. I don't complain paying for these channels because it's part of a package. If you are not a fan, turn the channel, like you do with all the other channels that you don't watch. As for me, I'll be Hooked on the Hook 'em channel.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

Is this where I complain about all the niche channels that I don't care about and want to see off the air?

C'mon people. We ALL pay for channels that we don't watch. Part of the sales pitch for any provider are how many channels they offer. In this day and age of cable television, it is possible to have a channel for ANYTHING. The only way some of those stations can stay afloat is by making deals with providers to be offered in certain tiers of their lineups. 

If you want to start a thread about changing the politics of cable providers and call for a switch to a la carte programming, then I will join in on the argument for it. But arguing that you don't want a channel because you are not interested in it, is flimsy at best, since you write that check every month for numerous channels you don't want/watch, just like I do.

Now if you will excuse me I need to go start a Food Network and Cooking Channel - Just say 'No' thread because I dislike food.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

So funny. Shouldn't y'all be headed to the east coast and working on starting an SEC Network? Maybe Texas will go there to help you get in.

If Uverse does not have the Longhorn Network, I will switch as well. When Choke-lahoma gets their own network, I will absolutely root for it being on my plan. I would love to keep up more with the competition. If I don't like it, I won't watch it. I rarely dial in to the Big 10 Network. If (not when) they decide to have an Aggie network, I don't think anyone will care either way. Glad to see our little redheaded step brother leave. It's just sad the little guy is crying so much on the way out.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

13 years ago

@CTEL08 wrote:

if somebody can find A&M's President's or their board of regents facebook page, and direct them to this thread, all their worries would be put to rest, seeing how there is nothing for anyone to be upset about 'n all

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6851396/texas-governor-says-texas-considering-move-sec

Texas A&M leaders have expressed concern about the Longhorn Network's effect on the longterm stability of the Big 12, and rumors of renewed talks between the university and the conference have persisted in recent weeks.

Too bad for TAMU that the SEC didn't want them.  Sure makes TAMU look like a bunch of fools doesn't it?  Maybe the SEC didn't want to weaken it's conference any more that it had to.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

It certainly did make them look like fools. Even if it does work out that they end up going to the SEC (and getting their teeth kicked in) it still doesnt look good that they wined and complained so much.

And why would they want to go in the first place. So not instead of being in the shadow of just UT and OU, they will be in the shadow of pretty much every team. Poor aggie.

Anyway. Go Longhorn Network!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.