Posted Aug 6, 2013
Local calls now require dialing area code first?

I am a new U-verse voice customer for about a week.  As of today, I cannot make local calls (to my own area code) without first entering the area code?  Why is this and what is the solution?

Local calls now require dialing area code first?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 6, 2013
(0)
vonjerv - I believe your dialing pattern us determined by how your area codes are set up. Many, if not most, require full area code dialing. I have never seen it as a U-verse specific requirement.. I have POTS service & have been dialing area code on all calls for some time now.

If you post tour area code we can see if we can find specific requirements for you.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Local calls now require dialing area code first?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 6, 2013
(0)
My area code is 321 in Florida, and I already was made aware of an answer on U-verse Voice Support that indicated that 321 area code requires 10 digits for local calls.
?
Thanks for helping.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 7, 2013
(0)

vonjerv - Your response sounds like you are still hopeful there is a way to dial seven digits. I googled your area code & found an article on the transition from seven to ten digit dialing, The thing is - it took place in the fall of 1999, mandatory in 2000.

http://www.sprint.com/areacodes/florida/407_qanda.html

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2013
(0)

That is not the case here in SE Michigan.  In fact I noticed I don't have to dial a 1 before the area code when calling phone numbers outside of my area code.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2013
(0)
RCSMG - Dialing pattern evolution can be interesting. When the original dial pulses were generated while the dial returned to steady state & incrementally built a circuit from caller to called party, number selection required careful analysis. The low number area codes were selected for high population centers in order save the most dialing time.

Some low population areas did not need the full seven digit number. At least early on. In these cases, some, or all of the exchange code, did not need to be dialed. When dialed, the digits were adsorbed - they did not cause the switch to change path. If you knew about it, you did not need to dial the extra digits.

With touch tone and SS7 signalling, number assignment is very flexible. Any number can be anywhere.

Area codes do not necessarily line up with toll call lines. In CT they decided to have a distinction between inter-Area code calls that are local and those that are toll. Ten digits for local, eleven for toll, Your requirement not to dial one or may not may not apply to all calls in the adjacent area code. The Area Code may not even be adjacent, but overlay, instead.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2013
(0)

Here in the Dallas area, we've had "10 digit dialing" since 1998.  It took some getting used to at first but it has become the norm.

We have 3 area codes here.  Part of my family is in one area code.  I'm in a different one.  Newer numbers have a third regardless of location. 

Now I forget that other parts of the country don't have the extra 3 digits.  It seems kind of weird to NOT have a 10 digit number.  :smileysurprised:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2013
(0)

@RCSMG if you have U-voice instead of POTS you do not have to dial a "1" before any call but just the 10 digits no matter where your calling, well except international.  This is true on most all VoIP carriers and IP based services such as AT&T's Business IP Flex, tw telecoms Converged Services (IP Based), XO and many more. 

I know this because at our customers sites that used to have POTS service and switched to some sort of IP based carrier solution, the phones that we had toll restricted, such as in warehouses, breakrooms, etc, could all of the sudden make long distance calls.

Our toll restriction on the phone system looks for the first digit being a "1" or "0" to dial long distance.  Now that the carriers providing IP based calling solutions don't require the 0 or 1 we had to get inventive to try to block these calls.  We made it happen by reverse engineeing the toll tables to only allow the area codes within the local area instead of restricting any 1 or 0 call. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2013
(0)

skeeterintexas wrote:

Here in the Dallas area, we've had "10 digit dialing" since 1998.  It took some getting used to at first but it has become the norm.

We have 3 area codes here.  Part of my family is in one area code.  I'm in a different one.  Newer numbers have a third regardless of location. 

Now I forget that other parts of the country don't have the extra 3 digits.  It seems kind of weird to NOT have a 10 digit number.  :smileysurprised:

There are 4 area codes: 214, 817, 972 and 469.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2013
(0)

oufanindallas wrote:

skeeterintexas wrote:

There are 4 area codes: 214, 817, 972 and 469.

817 is Arlington & Ft. Worth, right? 

Yeah...I don't know anyone west of 35E!  When I had to go to the Food Bank the other day, I freaked out!  :smileyfrustrated:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 19, 2013
(0)

I believe 817 is in that area yes.  My sister lives in Keller and her's is 817.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway