For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
janpay's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, January 14th, 2015 7:38 AM

Is there a scam?

Yesterday I received a phone call on my home phone.  I looked at caller ID, and lo & behold, the caller was me!  Yes, the caller ID listed my home phone number and my name as the caller.  I didn't call myself - wouldn't even know how.  What I want to know, is has U-Verse security been breached?   I mentioned this on Facebook - apparently it's happening to several people, not only U-Verse members.  I'm afraid that if I answer the call just for grins, I'll open the line to some scammer who then will be able to use my number to make outrageous calls. 

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@janpay We get these posts occasionally, but so rarely it seems to be a fluke in the Caller ID system.

I don't have Uvoice, but Basic Talk and saw my own number once on a quick callback after disconnecting inadvertantly, picked it up and was the same person. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

As I posted before, I've had it happen when I was on a call, another call beeped in, I ended the first call, answered the second call, talked and then hung up on the second call. 

For some reason, the phone rang again and my number was on the caller ID.  I answered but no one was there.  Smiley Frustrated

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

9 years ago

@janpay wrote:

Yesterday I received a phone call on my home phone.  I looked at caller ID, and lo & behold, the caller was me!  Yes, the caller ID listed my home phone number and my name as the caller.  I didn't call myself - wouldn't even know how.  What I want to know, is has U-Verse security been breached?   I mentioned this on Facebook - apparently it's happening to several people, not only U-Verse members.  I'm afraid that if I answer the call just for grins, I'll open the line to some scammer who then will be able to use my number to make outrageous calls. 

Try entering the term caller Id own number in your favorite search engine.

This really has nothing to do with U-verse and/or your number being compromised.  It's technically very easy to spoof any phone number.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.