Posted Jan 8, 2014
Interactive features on Home Shopping Network noticed

Normally, interactive featured on U-Verse are activated by tuning to a channel that normally has a still picture background, informing people to press OK to begin the app. What has changed with Home Shopping Channel is that when you tune to the channel, you see live video with a text icon informing viewers to press OK for interactive features.

Hopefully, we could see more interactive features in the future on live programs on regular channels!

Interactive features on Home Shopping Network noticed

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 8, 2014
(0)

While I don't want to see anymore crap on my TV screen while watching a show, some might find it useful I guess.

The stupid ads the channel providers put in the bottom right corner or as a banner across the bottom of the screen is already too much for me!!  We need to have a pop-up blocker for TV's now!!

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Interactive features on Home Shopping Network noticed

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014
(0)
My vision for interactive television would be for things like...

- News polls
- Automatic DVR setting: "Press A now to set your DVR to record next week's episode!"
- information links sent to a wireless device: "For more information, press A now and we will send you a text message with a link to our website!"
- On demand information overlays, such as sports stats, Wikipedia, IMDB movie info, etc.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014
(0)

You might want to take a look at the apps U-verse has available and see if they might help you interact with U-verse.  http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB411932&cv=813#fbid=4dHZxRdsIOi

I believe "Buddy TV" does some of what you want to do.  You will need to pair your device with your U-verse receiver/receivers for proper operation.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014
(0)
Yes, I am fully familiar with those apps. What I'm talking about is the ability to seamlessly integrate app-like functionality into live video streams. The user would never need to start anything special, just go to any live video channel like normal. The broadcaster would then have the option to encode HTML and Java into the stream that would appear as a transparent overly on top of the video. The user would have the option to respond to that code or click on a hyperlink. The best example would be a news program. Let's say they run a story about OJ Simpson in court again for whatever reason. After the story about his day in court, the news anchor then turns to the camera and says to his television audience, "If you think he's guilty, press A on your remote control. If you think he's innocent, press B on your remote control. Please press your vote now. We'll be accepting votes for the next 10 minutes. Only one vote per household will be accepted. At the end of the hour, we'll have the votes tallied up and the results for you... Stay tuned!"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014
(0)

PeterAlt wrote:
Yes, I am fully familiar with those apps. What I'm talking about is the ability to seamlessly integrate app-like functionality into live video streams. The user would never need to start anything special, just go to any live video channel like normal. The broadcaster would then have the option to encode HTML and Java into the stream that would appear as a transparent overly on top of the video. The user would have the option to respond to that code or click on a hyperlink. The best example would be a news program. Let's say they run a story about OJ Simpson in court again for whatever reason. After the story about his day in court, the news anchor then turns to the camera and says to his television audience, "If you think he's guilty, press A on your remote control. If you think he's innocent, press B on your remote control. Please press your vote now. We'll be accepting votes for the next 10 minutes. Only one vote per household will be accepted. At the end of the hour, we'll have the votes tallied up and the results for you... Stay tuned!"

That would require that every broadcast service have the same style of tv distribuition. Getting two large groups of people, much less multiple major corporations, to agree on a standard is next to impossible.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about U-Verse on the Xbox.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014
(0)
There already is a standard. I forgot what it's called. All the cable companies agreed to it and one of the satellite companies is paying a licensing fee to Cable Labs for use of it. I'm not sure if the U-Verse boxes are compatible with it, or if it uses a proprietary system.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014
(0)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014
(0)
It's essentially Java. Blu-Ray uses an off-shoot of it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014
(0)
BD Live is the variant found in Blu-Ray players. Both are actually Java variants.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014
(0)

Standards

This is what will end up happening.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about U-Verse on the Xbox.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014
(0)

I love Randall.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014
(0)

I actually would love to see the sort of interactivity that PeterAlt is describing.  Of course it would have to be an option, or else you would get folks who whine "I don't want / like / need that."  There was an ad for a new CBS show, this fall.  It offered an option to record the show by pressing OK.  I tried it and it worked.  It set up a series recording on channel 1008 (our local CBS affiliate).  That was cool.

NOW - that being said, interactivity has messed with the Weather Channel.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 11, 2014
(0)

That's pretty funny. I want to see what happens with video telephone calling. Right now, there's FaceTime, but that only works with iPhones, iPads, and Macs. There's also services like Skype that work on everything, but can not call Facetime, or any other brand other than its own.

The telephone companies agreed to a standard called Voice Over LTE (VoLTE). VOLTE will have HD audio, video, and a social media back channel. So far, the big companies have yet to roll out the service; and, when they do, it will be only compatible with Android phones. No word on whether or not Apple will update the iPhone to make FaceTime compatible with VOLTE, but this is expected.

It would be interesting if U-Verse adds VOLTE video calling through a set box. Just plug in a webcam!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 11, 2014
(0)

dhascall wrote:

I actually would love to see the sort of interactivity that PeterAlt is describing.  Of course it would have to be an option, or else you would get folks who whine "I don't want / like / need that."  There was an ad for a new CBS show, this fall.  It offered an option to record the show by pressing OK.  I tried it and it worked.  It set up a series recording on channel 1008 (our local CBS affiliate).  That was cool.

Really? We probably do have tru2way then!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 13, 2014
(0)

PeterAlt wrote:

dhascall wrote:

Really? We probably do have tru2way then!

Could be.  It would not be surprising, if U-Verse has it.  I would embrace full interactivity.  Maybe something like Trivia games that are found in  sports bars and such?   Maybe one could earn points for correctly guessing what kind of play would the next one in a football game, etc.?  Indianapolis beta tested a hand held box that used cell phone functionality for such interactivity back in the 90's.  sadly, that never took off.  Lots of trivia and guessing on sporting events.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 16, 2014
(0)

I think the tru2way standard is a dead artifact.  No one is making supporting hardware anymore.  The times have changed and technology has moved on.