Posted Sep 21, 2012
6:30:19 AM
Idle after 4 hours - NOT ACCEPTABLE - Uverse is Not Pet Friendly

We were so excited to get Uverse TV and now will likely be switching to a different cable tv company.  I received confirmation yesterday from ATT tech support, that the blue screen will appear after 4 hours of the tv being idle.  As a dog owner - we always leave the tv on for our dog - it helps her to be alone.  I know many other pet owners who do the same thing.  ATT informed me that this is a factory setting which cannot be changed.  We are very disappointed.

46 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(46)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 8, 2013 9:06:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Where the eight hours burned me was when I was playing Christmas music from the STB fed through the amplifier with the TV off.  When the time was up, the music went off.  If I'd hit pause/play anywhere in that eight hours, it would have reset the timer for another eight hours.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Idle after 4 hours - NOT ACCEPTABLE - Uverse is Not Pet Friendly

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 11, 2013 11:06:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Jun 11, 2013 at 11:11:39 AM

americangame wrote:

dhascall wrote:

Ryan456 wrote:
I don't see what the big deal is about a receiver cutting off its self i had Directv there DVR's cut off to so UVerse is not the only company that does this this is not something that make me want to switch providers my receiver has not cut off at all .

For a lot of us, it is a Big Deal.  The U-Verse box did not always do this.  It started doing this after an "update," a few years back.  If it were really an attempt at pulling a fast one over the Energy Star folks' eyes, well, shame on AT&T.  I have had about enough "Green" and "Political Correctness" in society, to be honest.

If you're sitting in front of the TV for more than 8 hours watching the entire time and not changing the channel, you really need to be more active.

Texasguy37 and AG - it is, of course, for our dog, to keep him company.  He can't get the hang of changing channels, yet, or else he might find the Playpoodle channel or Sinful Schnauzers PPV.

Seriously, I have also ran into the 8 hour timer when using Mediashare to stream music.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 1, 2013 11:43:56 PM
(0)
Voyager

well, apparently, i was not amusing enough, since the last post was back in june.

originally, i found the information that i was seeking: that it's company policy
to cut you off after a certain amount of time.  i actually sympathized with
the original poster [ though i would not have used all caps ]  and against my
better judgement, i decided to post.  now, what baffles
me is why all of the content providers let the cable companies get away with it,
since i would think that it would be in the content providers best interest to have
uninterrupted television viewing. 

i know i am in a very small minority that actually cares about this sort of stuff,
but for the amount of money one pays, i don't consider getting cut off after a certain
amount of time to be good service.   again, i don't pay for any of this, i just get to
use it, but in the 3 years since the switch, there are 2 other things that comcast did right
and at&t does not.  with comcast and the weather channel's local on the 8's,  we were
provided with a short weather forecast specific for our area; with at&t, evidently, the
weather channel has no idea where we are located, and local on the 8's give us some
generic forecast and map of the US.  interestingly, i know through the targeted advertising,
at&t knows exactly where we are, so evidently, at&t can't be bothered to do whatever
the weather channel needs to give us a local forecast during their local on the 8's segment.
and i am starting to see certain commercials now, that while viewing the commercial, if
one presses ok, one will be sent promotional literature to your at&t service address...
and still, no weather channel local on the 8's forecast for our area.... sighhhhhh...

the other thing involves the local community cable access channels... we have 6 of them in
our community, and comcast gave them channels 14 thru 19, complete with guide listings,
so one could pop up the guide and check out the community cable access channels and see
what was on and get to them very easily.  with at&t, it ain't easy at all... you go to channel 99,
then you have to press ok - yes i want to view community cable access channels.  then you get
a listing of like 2 dozen cities, some of which are not local in any sense of the word.  then you have
to scroll and choose your community, then up pops a listing of channels to choose from.  there is
no guide listing, so you don't know what is on, and if you do press the guide button, it kicks you out
into the main channels, so then you have to go back and repeat the whole process again just to get
back to a listing of channels, still with no knowledge of what is being shown...  i'm guessing that
there is probably some law that says tv providers have to give access to the community cable channels.
to me, comcast complied with the intent and the spirit of that law... but at&t... it's like, whatever, they
complied with the letter of the law, but not with the spirit nor the intent of it.... it's a lot of effort just
to get to them, only to find out that you have no idea what is on them at any given point in time.
so the whole idea of viewing community cable access channels is rather pointless. and for all that
i know, that could have been at&t's intent from the beginning.  considering that of the 9,999 channels,
how hard could it have been to allocate 6 of them for our local community cable access channels.
comcast did it.

anyway, i'm done providing amusement.  take care, toodles.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 2, 2013 8:04:56 AM
(0)
Explorer

I also agree that att should not cut the box off, or at least make the timer longer.  We also do leave the tv on for the dogs and also just to have some sound going in the house.  Just one of those things we have just always done.

Never have I timed the timer, but I do think the timer can be sometimes be less or more than 8 hours.  I just hate coming home all of the time when no one is there and you see "hit ok to watch uverse tv".  My neighbors always leave their tv on a music channel with TWC during the day or even on vacation.  Yes their tv does have a screensaver as one mentioned with TWC, but it does not shut off the cable box.  The sound still continues to play and with att, after the 8 hours, no more sound or picture.

Maybe one day this will change or the timer will be on for a longer period of time.  Or I need to figure out a way to press a button every so often????

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 2, 2013 9:14:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Wouldn't the logical thing be to buy a cheap-o antenna (<$10) and tune into an OTA channel during the day.

I don't think the dogs care what channel it's on but you could ask them what their preference is.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 2, 2013 11:26:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Sep 2, 2013 at 11:27:42 AM

In addition to the OTA antenna, I would also suggest that you invest in a cheapo TV to leave on for extended periods of time instead of shortening the life of your expensive TV by leaving it on all day.

Also, instead of leaving a TV playing on a music channel when away on vacation, why would your neighbors not leave a radio playing?  It's much cheaping than leaving a TV on for a week, and a burned out radio is cheaper to replace than a burned out TV.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 2, 2013 2:06:45 PM
(0)
Expert

For inexpensive security protection, use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/FakeTV-FTV-10-Burglar-Deterrent/dp/B003S5SOLG

or their new model that's brighter:

http://www.amazon.com/FakeTV-FTV-11-Bright-Burglar-Deterrent/dp/B00BTKGHDE/ref=pd_bxgy_p_text_z

Combine it with an inexpensive timer that can do schedules or random on/off:

http://www.amazon.com/GE-15154-Random-7-Day-Digital/dp/B0035GAXA8/ref=pd_bxgy_p_text_y

Now it looks like someone in the house is watching TV, and you don't need to worry about the 8-hour timeout on U-Verse, and there's no wear-and-tear on your real TVs.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 3, 2013 11:41:42 AM
(0)
Scholar

Don't they make timers that can change the channel every so often?  I know they have timers for lights to keep changing the lights that are on so it looks like someone is home.  I do not know if they have one for tv's.  I never have that problem because after the show I am watching is over I pull up the guide to see what else is on and the timer is resert.  The only time I had the problem was when I fell asleep watching tv and the timer kicked in.  As I recall the only thing I had to do was press the ok button and the tv came up.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 4, 2013 1:58:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

OR someone could invent a robotic finger that could press the "Last" button twice, every four or so hours to keep the thing from timing out.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 4, 2013 2:46:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

If you have a Smart BD player tune to Netflix. Start one show when it ends it will start the next one in line 15 sec after the 1st one ends. :smileyhappy:

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014 4:28:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

I take offense at some of the smart aleck people posting in here who are obviously  not animal lovers. 

I do the same thing, or rather try to. 

I need to be gone sometimes for 9 hours or more with my job, and I'm widowed so I don't have anyone to check on him or help. And yes, he DOES know the difference.  He likes animal planet especially.

It should be my decision whether or not I want to have my box turn off.

Ironically enough, I called ATT about this earlier tonight and they said that there is something wrong with my box. The customer service reps are so stupid

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014 4:45:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I love the title of this thread. Why should U-Verse have to be pet friendly in the first place? U-Verse is a system designed for humans, not your dog or cat. It is amazing what people will find to complain about.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014 5:19:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Who are we to question these things....

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014 5:55:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

skeeterintexas wrote:

Who are we to question these things....

He is watching "Family Guy". You can hear it in the background. He must be a big fan of Brian. He must have been upset when Brian was temporarily killed off.

I thought that an English bulldog would prefer BBC America HD.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014 9:00:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

db821arc wrote:

Don't they make timers that can change the channel every so often?  I know they have timers for lights to keep changing the lights that are on so it looks like someone is home.  I do not know if they have one for tv's.  I never have that problem because after the show I am watching is over I pull up the guide to see what else is on and the timer is resert.  The only time I had the problem was when I fell asleep watching tv and the timer kicked in.  As I recall the only thing I had to do was press the ok button and the tv came up.

Easy. Get that same timer and plug your TV surge protector into it. Every 6-7 hours, have it turn off for about 10-20 minutes, then turn it back on.

I'm not an expert in timers, but if they can be programmed to turn lights on and off, the same logic should apply.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014 10:58:21 PM
(0)
Employee
Thinking along a similar line, how about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMLYdoyFfmc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Designed to hit the button on remote in 4 hours, gives 12 hours of TV.
Even animals need down time to rest.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 10, 2014 7:44:28 AM
(0)
Scholar

Easiest solution to the pet problem is a DVD. Especially for cats, you can get all kinds of chirping birds and squirrels that go on for hours and then starts over.

The timer is definitely NOT 8 hours every time, it is somewhat random in my house. Sometimes, although not often, it goes to the "OK" screen after 1 hour, most of the time over 4 hours and sometimes not at all. It might have something to do with the downloaded guide schedule - who knows...