Posted Oct 13, 2013
12:09:59 AM
How to turn off or at least mute those horrible severe weather alerts?

There has to be a way to turn these things off!

Tonight I've run into both of the fundamental flaws in this system.  Earlier tonight, I saw an alert pop up and I scrambled for the remote knowing that if I didn't exit it fast I was going to have some upset dogs and got blasted with the way out of proportion alert tone.  I never even got to read the alert, because I was so focused on exiting it quickly.  

Then a few minutes ago, as I was drifting off to sleep with the TV on sleep timer, I got blasted awake by a Flash Flood alert that kept getting louder and louder until I finally founf the remote and made it stop.

Somebody please tell me how to turn these off.  They are utterly pointless and far more trouble than they are worth. 

Thanks

How to turn off or at least mute those horrible severe weather alerts?

43 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(43)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 13, 2013 12:35:32 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Oct 13, 2013 at 12:38:02 AM

National Weather messages are feeds to radio,local broadcasts, and cable to provide important instructions for those in a specific area.
There is no way to disable the alert unless you either have your tv volume to zero, or the television's uverse box is turned off.

Perhaps may be better at night to watch a dvd, dvr, or vhs show with sleep timer,just a thought...

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: How to turn off or at least mute those horrible severe weather alerts?

[ Edited ]
2 of 44 (3,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 13, 2013 12:51:31 AM
(0)
Mentor
So, AT&T's answer is that "Our service isn't very good, so you should watch something better like VHS?" LOL

My local radio stations and local TV stations are not breaking in with these alerts, just Uverse. And sharing more flash flooding warnings all night when I know it's raining hard is not sharing particularly important instructions. Uverse really needs a way to opt out of this. It's incredibly annoying.

3 of 44 (3,473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 13, 2013 5:00:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

They are broadcast for a reason......To save life and property.  They may be annoying to you but quite beneficial to others.  What if there was a tornado in your area and you didn't get the warning because you "opted out" and your house was destroyed, and/or worse, you experienced loss of life to one of your family members?  Then what?  You would wish that you had received the warning, right?

I don't know who decides when or what to display on the warnings but if I had to guess it would be someone like the National Weather Service, or your City/Local Government.  I'm sure it's not AT&T that makes the decision when and what to warn you about.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 44 (3,450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 13, 2013 7:49:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Edited by baseballisback on Oct 13, 2013 at 7:53:35 AM

If there WAS a tornado in the area, I would hope local news would interrupt a few minutes (or longer) before the tornado would be a real threat. In my area, the local news outs a graphic in the corner of the screen for a mild situation. If it's a bit more serious, they'll run a crawl across the screen. If it's a tornado watch, then they break in until there's no more tornado threat in the area.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED FOR THE SIREN TO BE SO %&--#;(#%+ LOUD!!!!!!! (Screaming to be heard over the blare.)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
5 of 44 (3,422 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 13, 2013 7:52:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The local alert from a station would be expected IF you were watching a loacl station.  What if you were watching HBO as an example, or any other channel such as Discovery?  Therefore the reason for the AT&T alert.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

6 of 44 (3,421 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 13, 2013 8:00:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Oct 13, 2013 at 8:01:09 AM

baseballisback wrote:

If there WAS a tornado in the area, I would hope local news would interrupt a few minutes (or longer) before the tornado would be a real threat. In my area, the local news outs a graphic in the corner of the screen for a mild situation. If it's a bit more serious, they'll run a crawl across the screen. If it's a tornado watch, then they break in until there's no more tornado threat in the area.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED FOR THE SIREN TO BE SO %&--#;(#%+ LOUD!!!!!!! (Screaming to be heard over the blare.)

As BeeBeeSA mention, what you describe only works if you are watching a local station.  Not everyone only watches local stations.  The EAS alerts appear regardless of the station being watched.  They are even received if you are watching a recorded program or an On Demand Program.

By the way, if you simply press OK on your remote, when the alert appears, the sound will be muted.

[ Edited ]
7 of 44 (3,415 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 13, 2013 8:04:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

By the way, the EAS alerts are government mandated:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System#Station_requirements

8 of 44 (3,412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 13, 2013 8:27:05 AM
(0)
Mentor
There seems to be some confusion here. I am not asking that the alerts be removed for those who want them. I don't think anybody is. <br><br>I came here asking for one thing: how do I personally turn them off? The EAS mandates only require that Presidential notifications go to everybody. All other alert types can be opted out of. So, just like I can on my AT&amp;T cell phone, I'd like to opt out, please. <br><br>However, if it is the will of this forum that I not be allowed to opt out and that I darn well learn why I should to love them and how they save my life and property, then I'll go into more detailed criticism of the implementation. <br><br>1) it's ridiculously loud. There's absolutely no justification for it. My attention can be channeled with far less volume or at least far less duration. They should "tone" it down. <br><br>2) it's ridiculously intrusive. As posters have noted, local broadcasters with the same responsibility manage this with a bug or crawl, instead of modal messages that hijack the tv until responded to. <br><br>3) it's overly sensitive. I don't need to drop everything every time a low-level alert is issued or extended. Flash flood alerts aren't particularly valuable sitting at home watching TV, and they are even less valuable every 5-10 minutes as the watch/warning is slightly modified. Same for thunderstorms (yeah, the sky gave me its own alert tone--I'm all caught up). <br><br>4) it's still not 100% effective. For all the hand-wringing above over "What if you're not watching local TV when the life-saving missive from heaven sounds its clarion call???", I have to ask What if you're watching a DVD or (:snicker:smileyhappy: VHS? Or shocking as it may be, what if you're reading a book with the TV off? Shouldn't I be screamed at from the rooftops on those situations too, or do people who read simply deserve to die? Lol. If they really wanted to get the word out, they'd sound an alert from the box whether the TV was on or not. I'd support that... On an opt-in basis. <br><br>If these were done better, then I'd probably stay opted in, so by all means, fix the problems, but start with allowing opt-outs as allowed by the law.

9 of 44 (3,407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 13, 2013 8:43:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by skeeterintexas on Oct 13, 2013 at 9:01:03 AM

You do not have the choice to opt out.

It is what it is.

[ Edited ]
10 of 44 (3,402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 13, 2013 8:51:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Oct 13, 2013 at 8:52:59 AM
No, the Emergency Alert System (EAS) contains no option for consumers to opt out of receiving the alerts from their TV provider.  The opt out option that you are referring to, applies to alerts sent to your cell phone as a result of the Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS).  Thus, you can option out of certain alerts being sent by your mobile phone provider.  So you are talking apples and oranges.
Take your concerns up with your Congressman.  The members of this forum, cannot resolve your problem.

[ Edited ]
11 of 44 (3,398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 13, 2013 6:19:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

baseballisback wrote:

If you are not watching a local station, then it's not going to "interupt" your service. Those alerts are loud for a reason. They are the same on Dish and Direct. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

12 of 44 (3,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 14, 2013 8:40:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

robb0995 wrote:
So, AT&T's answer is that "Our service isn't very good, so you should watch something better like VHS?" LOL

My local radio stations and local TV stations are not breaking in with these alerts, just Uverse. And sharing more flash flooding warnings all night when I know it's raining hard is not sharing particularly important instructions. Uverse really needs a way to opt out of this. It's incredibly annoying.

They are required too.  One or two (okay maybe three) people complaining about having to press the OK button to silence the alert is less worrysome to AT&T than the possible huge fines and liability issues if they should fail to transmit a warning and someone should get hurt or worse.  My first reaction to your post was really?

13 of 44 (3,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013 5:21:44 PM
(0)
Tutor
This is really annoying, especially since on my (non-AT&T) cell phone, I can go to settings and "opt out" of amber alerts and/or weather alerts. There should be an option in the uverse receiver...especially for those of us who have enough sense to look out the window and see when a storm is coming!!

14 of 44 (3,260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013 9:45:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

tjperez wrote:
This is really annoying, especially since on my (non-AT&T) cell phone, I can go to settings and "opt out" of amber alerts and/or weather alerts. There should be an option in the uverse receiver...especially for those of us who have enough sense to look out the window and see when a storm is coming!!

Again, please feel free to take that up with your Congressmen, to change the law.  I do not like living in a "Nanny State" either but some people are not too bright, not too educated, and folks with the "can't happen to me" mentality about severe weather, so the Government has to have that approach,

So now we are up to two, count 'em two,  folks who hate, just absolutely hate to press the okay button to silence a required alert.  There are most likely a few million, who see it differently.  You know, there is a way of opting ouit: Anytime severe weather is predicted for your area, please leave the U-Verse TV system off and turn off all radios.  Install ear plugs so that you won't have to hear the tornado sirens, since you mentioned that you have the ability to look out the window and tell which storm is going to be severe.

15 of 44 (3,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 18, 2013 10:26:22 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thank you, thank you, thank you, AT&T for finally silencing these abominations! I saw an alert today that stayed peacefully silent! I got the info but wasn't blasted out of the room!

Even if none of the forum members listen to customers, it's good to know that the company is! Thanks!

16 of 44 (2,815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 19, 2013 4:00:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

robb0995 wrote:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, AT&T for finally silencing these abominations! I saw an alert today that stayed peacefully silent! I got the info but wasn't blasted out of the room!

Even if none of the forum members listen to customers, it's good to know that the company is! Thanks!

You do realize that 95% of the posters in this forum are customers just like and can do NOTHING about complaints or suggestions?

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

17 of 44 (2,791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 19, 2013 6:33:41 AM
(0)
Mentor
Hahaha.

Well, it will come as a surprise to many posters that their opinions aren't the word of God! :smileyhappy:

18 of 44 (2,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 19, 2013 7:46:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Dec 19, 2013 at 7:53:33 AM

robb0995 wrote:
Hahaha.

Well, it will come as a surprise to many posters that their opinions aren't the word of God! :smileyhappy:

I wonder if possibly the issue was a local one with you robb0995?  When I first had U-Verse installed in 2008, the alerts were at a ear piercing level (okay, okay, not actually enough to blow your eardrum out but annoyingly loud) but about 3 years ago, the level went down to a reasonable level.  So, I wonder if it's a local setting that went haywire?  At any rate, it's good to know that it's not overly loud, now.

BTW - I took the liberty of marking your next to last post as an accepted solution - since it seems that is what you were hoping for,.  Welcome! Don't be a stranger on the forums.

[ Edited ]
19 of 44 (2,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 19, 2013 8:27:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

OK - and the "Community Accepted Solution" was ... what?
I'd like the announcements on my system to be less intrusive as well.
Was the change made Uverse-wide?

Please advise.

20 of 44 (2,749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 19, 2013 8:52:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Dec 19, 2013 at 8:59:45 AM

OGG wrote:

OK - and the "Community Accepted Solution" was ... what?
I'd like the announcements on my system to be less intrusive as well.
Was the change made Uverse-wide?

Please advise.

He asked for the annoyingly loud alert to be turned off (which is not possible) or muted and he seems genuinely happy that the sound has been reduced to an acceptable level.  If he does not agree that it's a solution, he can mark it as "not the solution," since he was the OP.  If you are having an issue with loudness - I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.

[ Edited ]
21 of 44 (2,740 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 19, 2013 8:57:41 AM
(0)
Mentor
I should point out that if this forum does not speak for AT&T, then
declaring that the requested solution is "not possible" takes on an air of
authority and finality that misleads many into thinking that they are
getting an official answer.

Obviously, it is possible, as I had no sound on last night's alert, and all
of the supposition about the laws was just that, supposition.

22 of 44 (2,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 19, 2013 8:58:46 AM
(0)
Mentor

But thanks for letting me know I can fix the erroneous solution problem!

23 of 44 (2,736 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 19, 2013 9:05:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

robb0995 wrote:
I should point out that if this forum does not speak for AT&T, then
declaring that the requested solution is "not possible" takes on an air of
authority and finality that misleads many into thinking that they are
getting an official answer.

Obviously, it is possible, as I had no sound on last night's alert, and all
of the supposition about the laws was just that, supposition.

This is a good place for info on U-Verse.  I was here and on another non-official site called Uverseusers way before I subscribed, since IPTV is way different than "cable."  This is an official AT&T site but many (but not all) answers are given by volunteer subscribers, like myself.  There are often official responses fromn AT&T - in blue.  Emploiyees (in bold orange) can respond but they are speaking for themselves and not AT&T.  Take care.

24 of 44 (2,727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2014 6:44:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

I too wish to be able to "opt" out of the Alert Messaging system.

I have no problem with the concept or those who wish to stay informed.

I just don't want to be, and I believe I should have the option.

25 of 44 (2,214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2014 6:27:36 AM
(0)
Scholar
Your belief is wrong. Go to http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/services/eas/

The first thing it says is that it is required. :smileysad:

26 of 44 (2,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2014 6:57:16 AM
(0)
Mentor
That's not remotely what the first sentence says. You can't opt out of the presidential address, nor is anyone asking for that. But even so, there's not one word in there that supports your pointless interjection in people asking for AT&T to give us a feature or train us on how to use it. Nobody asked for your opinion on whether or not we're allowed to ask for it.

Sent from my iPhone

27 of 44 (2,171 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2014 7:19:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

robb0995 wrote:
That's not remotely what the first sentence says. You can't opt out of the presidential address, nor is anyone asking for that. But even so, there's not one word in there that supports your pointless interjection in people asking for AT&T to give us a feature or train us on how to use it. Nobody asked for your opinion on whether or not we're allowed to ask for it.

Sent from my iPhone

The EAS is a national public warning system that requires broadcasters, cable television systems, wireless cable systems, satellite digital audio radio service (SDARS) providers, and direct broadcast satellite (DBS) providers to provide the communications capability to the President to address the American public during a national emergency. The system also may be used by state and local authorities to deliver important emergency information, such as AMBER alerts and weather information targeted to specific areas.

ATT is REQUIRED to send the alert per the statement above. 

Your option is to turn down the volume using the "volume" button on your remote or the "power" button for full control.

Thank you and drive through.

28 of 44 (2,168 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2014 7:23:16 AM
(0)
Mentor
Yes, I read those exact words. They don't say anything close to what you think they say.

Sent from my iPhone

29 of 44 (2,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2014 7:26:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

So your big sticking point is the ability to "opt-out"? 

Are there other broadcasters, cable television systems, wireless cable systems, satellite digital audio radio service (SDARS) providers, and direct broadcast satellite (DBS) providers that give their customers that option?

IF so, please share that information.

30 of 44 (2,162 Views)