For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
radarrab's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, December 16th, 2014 2:33 AM

How to set up Pace 5031NV internet only with TD-W8980 behind it?

I recently switched from ATT ADSL to Uverse internet, and I don't have everything set up back the way I want it.

I had a test with a different DSL service on ATT's infrastructure in between, and had the TP-Link modem-router (modem disabled, that was the DHCP server) behind a (different) Pace, my router's IP in the same network which is different from the ATT router.

My router has 2 USB ports and is dual band. I had an old HP network printer working (also in the same IP network) and was able to use a drive dock and a portable drive in the USB ports, and access all those both wired and wireless. I don't know if I had it set up the "right" way (i.e. most secure), but it worked. Also connected to mine was a Directv broadband adapter.

Right now, the Directv adapter and my laptop are attached to the ATT Pace. I can access wifi with my tablet on the Pace. I have to use the USB connection to print since I need to get into the printer (and my router) and change the IP, or reset them.

Can someone advise how to set up the ATT Pace 5031NV with the TD-W8980 securely behind it in order to use it this way (if you don't know the specifics of the TD-W8980 then tell me what to look for and change, generally):

Laptop is mostly used wired (ethernet), but sometimes wireless. Cloud backup (document and a lot of photo/media files, which is mostly caught up at this point)

Directv broadband adapter is for on-demand (not a lot, but sometimes)

External hard drive dock and portable drive for local backup/storage (both USB, mapped drives through my router) mostly ethernet, sometimes wireless

Printer mostly ethernet, sometimes wireless

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @radarrab,

Connecting the TD-W8980 hopefully will be a really easy connection, since everything has previously been configured. The only one thing you may need to change is the connection type. Most DSL connections used PPPOE, but U-verse just assigns the IP over. Since you disabled the modem ability, it may already been configured that way, and if so, you should hopefully, be able to just plug it in and it will work.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.