Posted Feb 12, 2011
How to Change DNS on 3801HGV 2Wire router

What do I do to change the Primary and Secondary DNS on the 2wire router:  

3801HGV (the new block box).

I know that changing it will degrade my TV performance, but I want to do this as a test.

Roku Netflix streaming 'sucks' on Uverse (at least my installation) - I barely get 2.0 mbps HD service on a 12 mbps subscribed line which makes HD streaming not possible.  Nothing AT&T has done has resolved the issue.  I want to try one more thing to see if I can go outside AT&T's network and connect via Roku's suggested primary and secondary DNS servers.  If that works, then at least we know where the problem is.  If that doesn't work - then I have to switch providers and call it a day.

Thanks for any help.

How to Change DNS on 3801HGV 2Wire router

35 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(35)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2011
(0)
Hi mjz3348,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you due to the slow speed issue.

From the information which you have provided, it seems you have subscribed to the U-verse service of AT&T.

For assistance with your U-Verse service, we have help available at 1-800-288-2020 which is open 24/7.

Else, you can also contact U-verse chat support by clicking the link below.

We value you as our customer and I would like to assure you that they will do their best to resolve your issue.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Re: How to Change DNS on 3801HGV 2Wire router

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2011
(0)

I have been in contact with tier 2 support and they have already tried several things on their end to no avail.

I just want to know if it is possible to change the DNS server settings (primary & secondary) in the 2Wire box?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2011
(0)

You cannot change the DNS servers on the 2Wire routers.  AT&T U-Verse service uses specific DNS servers that allow the IPTV set-top boxes to find the video servers and other IPTV video services that normal DNS servers do not have records for.

If you want your computers to use different DNS servers, you will have to manually change the DNS servers in the TCP/IP settings on each computer, or use your own router behind the 2Wire router as the DMZ Plus device.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 13, 2011
(0)

I will try setting putting a router behind the 2Wire router and hope it works.

I realize that I would lose uverse IPTV service if I changed the DNS settings in the 2wire box - the change was only for a test.  Setting up another router means I have to go buy one.

Personally - I am thinking of getting direct TV and comcast for internet.  Trying to resolve this problem with Uverse is too difficult.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 13, 2011
(0)

mjz3348 wrote:

I will try setting putting a router behind the 2Wire router and hope it works.

I realize that I would lose uverse IPTV service if I changed the DNS settings in the 2wire box - the change was only for a test.  Setting up another router means I have to go buy one.

Personally - I am thinking of getting direct TV and comcast for internet.  Trying to resolve this problem with Uverse is too difficult.  

fwiw

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2011
(0)
Just put the recommended DNS addresses on the device you're testing. The DNS in the RG is only passed to devices requesting network config from DHCP.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 4, 2011
(0)

This is a big problem for anyone purchasing AVG Family Safety ($19.99) and hoping to use their Whole Home Filtering services.  In order to do this, the DNS server settings must be manually changed to those listed in AVG Family Safety's User Manual (available for download in pdf format from AVG section 5.17). http://aa-download.avg.com/filedir/doc/OTHERS/Family_Safety/avg_fas_uma_en_2011_02.pdf

I spent a lot of time trying to get this figured out as AVG's instructions are very unhelpful.  Once I figured out I needed to go to http://192.168.1.254 to change my DNS server settings, I found what my current settings were, but there was no option to change them anywhere.  From this forum and others, I've learned that it is not possible.  I don't want to change the settings for each device, that defeats the purpose of parental filtering of any device that connects to my wifi.  

AT&T tech support by phone was completely unhelpful.  The rep wanted me to pay almost $50 to have them change the settings for me/teach me how.  Told me the directions were in my 2WIRE Gateway manual.  wow.  I told her if it was possible to do, I wanted to do it myself and just wanted a link to the instructions.  She could not give me that, only sign me up for a $15 a month plan or make me pay the $50 for the one-time help.  I told her I'd read here that the DNS server settings cannot be changed and she didn't know anything about that, of course.  AT&T could be a bit more forthcoming with this info.  A simple yes or no would suffice but instead she tells me it can be done, but only way to find out how is to pay.  Yeah, I'm sure after 30 more minutes I'd find out that I cannot change it myself but they'd charge me anyway to tell me that because it's not a part of my paid service to have that information or some such nonsense.

AVG Family Safety users be aware- WHF is not an option with AT&T Uverse.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 4, 2011
(0)
If you want to use any DNS-based filtering service, like AVG Family or the free OpenDNS (www.opendns.com), you can do it with U-Verse in one of two ways:

1. As you've found out, you can change the DNS server entries on each individual computer.

2. You can set up your own router behind the U-Verse 2Wire router, and then change the DNS entries on it. Some inexpensive home routers are available for around $40.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 4, 2011
(0)

3. You can use a different internet service provider that allows you to change your DNS settings.

I tried changing the DNS setting on my iPod Touch, fwiw, and no dice.  Couldn't even get on the net.  And no, I didn't block access to the net during this block of time on the parental controls. :smileyhappy: LOL  So, could be a problem with the DNS settings AVG is giving us, or it could be it just doesn't work to change your DNS settings on all devices.

If you pay for AVG Family Safety because they claim it has this feature and they direct you to the company that makes the router, and it's not their problem, either, it isn't nice to find out that AT&T doesn't allow you to change these settings yourself and that you'll have to pay an additional $40 for a router.  Why can't AT&T just make this setting accessible?  

I'm just making sure people know that AVG Family Safety WHF is incompatible with AT&T Uverse.  Without additional $$ spent on an additional party's hardware, it won't work.  Hopefully it will save someone else many hours of wasted time that I spent trying to get this worked out. Other ISP's don't remove this feature from people's router settings so AT&T should train tech support to answer this honestly when someone calls and asks; not squeeze them for paid support.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 4, 2011
(0)

By the way, I wouldn't recommend changing the DNS server setting on each device if it's for parental control.  DNS settings can be changed just as easily as they were set up.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 7, 2011
(0)

rubay wrote:

By the way, I wouldn't recommend changing the DNS server setting on each device if it's for parental control.  DNS settings can be changed just as easily as they were set up.

Well, yes they can.  I would point out that unless you do something to prevent these settings from being changed on each PC by the user you're trying to accomplish filtering for, they could override the DNS settings you put on the router by putting in the settings of their choice on the PC.

Since you would have to prevent the user from changing the settings on the PC to make it secure, it is not any less secure to make the changes on the PC in the first place.  Less convenient, perhaps, but no less secure.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 7, 2011
(0)

This is absolutely ridiculous that I cannot change the DNS settings on my 2Wire router that is used for UVerse!  

I want to use my OpenDNS subcription to block my kids from getting to "bad" web sites from their Macbooks, PCs, iPod touches, Xbox, etc. and I can't do that???

AT&T, this really sucks!! Another reason that I'm going to look to moving to cable (after being with AT&T for over 10 years now).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 15, 2011
(0)

I agree and I just signed up for U-verse. 

Not getting goosebums.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 17, 2011
(0)

If you take one additional step its actaully much more secure to make the DNS changes on the router. In addition to changing the DNS addresses your router hands out you need to add a rule in the firewall (most routers have basic firewalls built-in) that blocks all requests to DNS servers that are not the DNS servers you assigned. In this configuration even if the DNS servers are changed on a particular PC no lookups can be preformed. 

This is all a moot point on the Att 2Wire router as it appears it will not allow you to change the DNS settings.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 7, 2011
(0)

Ok.... I made an account on this forum just to post on this topic because i cant stand hearing people whine when its their fault for not fixing it.... It is not that difficult to fix this and you shouldnt be complaining about something you dont fully understand. Flaming an entire board is not the point; but telling you they the firmware for their routers this way on purpose is.

First off, you are provided a box upon installation that handles your network, running as both the dns and dhcp server, not to mention the wireless/wired gateways... for most ISPs you would have to pay for a router to sit below the modem on your network and handle these tasks.

Now you have two very simple fixes for this problem.

1. You CAN set the preferred DNS for ANY electronic device on your network aside from the ATT modem and cable boxes. ATT will not do this for you or tell you how to do this because it isnt their job to do tech support for your computer, they get paid to fix their equipment and attempting anything on yours is something you are not paying for and would only serve to open them up to liability anyways. It is not hard doing this on a windows machine a simple google search of "setting preferred dns on windows [insert OS here]" will turn up the info for you.... but here is the link anyways that points to changing it for XP since most are probably running that OS.... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305553

2. You as the end user can buy a piece of equipment which i do suggest, called a ROUTER. This piece of equipment can be connected directly to your ATT router and with the click of a few switches in the firmware for the ATT router, your new one will handle anything and everything you want even changing the preferred DNS for you networked devices... all but your cable boxes that is.

These routers are not expensive and could range from $20 to $200 for home networks. The reason this is a better Idea is because the ATT router, although provided free of charge and running the home network along with TV, doesnt have the best firmware installed and is not completely customizable. This is done for a reason.

Think about it, ATT is here to provide Cable AND Internet services. They happen to bundle their services through DSL providing one smooth connection to them; rather than having to connect each box plus modem to them (in the case of comcast and brighthouse) they provide a router that handles everything for you. They obviously dont want you changing the Default DNS since pointing o that DNS is what is giving you cable.

To keep it simple the options for fixing your issues are right in front of you but it seems to be that some people are to lazy or whiney to fix it. Configuring a personal router is easy and in most cases, depending on the brand of router, much more secure compared to simply using ATTs. Switch to a different service if you feel you must but dont blame a company for not allowing you to change something that would only serve to cause problems. You should be thanking them for helping you. Like i said i only created a UN on here so that i could respond to the silliness that i saw and because of the empathy that i felt for the ATT customer service Reps all of you must have talked to before hand. Send me hate mail on here if you want, ill check it and probably respond as to why i believe you are wrong but you cannot deny anything i said here is true.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 8, 2011
(0)

brian5_1 wrote:

This is absolutely ridiculous that I cannot change the DNS settings on my 2Wire router that is used for UVerse!  

I want to use my OpenDNS subcription to block my kids from getting to "bad" web sites from their Macbooks, PCs, iPod touches, Xbox, etc. and I can't do that???

AT&T, this really sucks!! Another reason that I'm going to look to moving to cable (after being with AT&T for over 10 years now).

Really? AT&T hasnt been the best ISP ive been with as far as speeds go but your entire problem with them is a bit silly.... first of all of course you cant "change the DNS settings on my 2Wire router that is used for UVerse! ".... Thats because its used for UVERSE as said before you posted.... if you change these DNS servers you will not be able to watch TV so that ability is disabled for obvious reasons...

OpenDNS?? there are so many places that will do this exact thing for free not to mention you could do it yourself if you just took that subscription money and bought yourself a regular old security router.... besides if your kids are old enough to have macbooks, PCs and ipods all to themselves, they have already gotten so far beyond your knowledge of tech you wont be able to stop them from seeing this stuff.... not to mention you should sit down with them and have a conversation about these "bad" sites instead of just hoping they ignore them.... and stop putting bad in quotes.... just say adult material or something... you make yourself sound like a child who is explaining curse words to his friends in hushed voices.... like the naughty police will jump out because you said something other than "bad"......

This isnt hard to fix, perform some google searches and you should find your answers within 10 mintutes....

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 19, 2011
(0)

You seem quite knowledgeable TC!  I have a couple of questions since I am new to U-Verse (since mid Aug 2011) and suddenly acquired an issue whereby all videos longer than ~ 1-2min have major buffering issues wirelessly.  I have no issues when hard-wired and contacted support.  They attempted to help by changing from b to n and stated I had wireless errors but never said what those were.  I actually did one speed test prior to the issues (my purchased plan service is up to 12 Mbps).  Prior to issues wireless was amazingly at 11.5Mbps (exact same as wired at the time which shouldn't happen as I've been reading).  Now wireless is anywhere between 3-5.5Mbps and wired I have yet to see below 10Mbps. After reading I understand wireless has lag/latency, etc. but fact is I had no issues before and now I do.

So my questions:

I have an older 2wire router (2701HG-B) but how would I connect it for testing wireless speeds?  Obviously ethernets are data out streams and I tried connecting through the phone out from new 3801HGV router to old router....nada.

These issues arose ~ 1 month after purchasing an iPad2 and shortly after updating to new 5.0.1 software.  And now neither my iPhone or iPad can connect to my network (which is a topic on which I am going to Apple Store today to try and resolve). 

Could they purposely slow down the wireless speed of the router without altering the wired speed if they wanted to?  My question has to do with the fact that I can't switch boxes to the wall to test if my 2701 sends out a higher Mbps (my phobia of big brother controlling me and charging me $4/month). 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 19, 2011
(0)

HAHA!  Success...but why?

So I went to Apple Store and they told me it was AT&T...which I became frustrated and started asking q's.  Short story is I came back home, found out how to access my settings for the 3801HG-V.  Changed the name and password so I had to connect to the newly named network with iPhone and iPad and now they are both working!!!  Woo hoo...but WHY?!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 21, 2011
(0)

As long as it's working!  :smileyvery-happy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 22, 2012
(0)

While it's true that you can't change which DNS server(s)  the 3801 provides to its DHCP clients requesting DNS servers, there is an (admitedly involved) work around you can try.  I haven't done this to to utilize a third-party DNS server but rather to put a private caching DNS server in front of the seemingly slow AT&T DNS servers and cut out the RG's DNS server.  This still involves using AT&T's DNS servers as forwarders, so if there is some special requirement that their servers be used, that requirement is satisfied, so if you're trying to cut them out all together, you'll remain disappointed.  I've only been doing this for less than a day, but so far, it appears to accelerate DNS and does not seem to adversely affect the STBs.

First, you need to disable DHCP on the RG.  While you can't disable it per se, you can set the DHCP client address range to both begin and end at (e.g.) 192.168.1.254 (my RG is changed to be 192.168.1.1.), let a device you don't otherwise need make a request to be leased that address, then mark the device static.  The DHCP server is now out of addresses.  As far as I can tell so far, it's done.

Second, you need to set up your own DHCP server on the RG's LAN.  I do this on Linux, so the basic idea is to open port 68/UDP, run the ICS DHCP server, and configure it to be authoritive for your subnet (e.g. 192.168.1.0.)  This last part is important because the RG will complain to your DHCP server that it's not in charge.  I chose to establish reservations by MAC address for all my computers, phones, toasters, and STBs between .2 and .31, then use .32 through .127 for guests, and .128 and above for any devices with static configuration (no DHCP), e.g. those used to host a service accessible through the RG's external firewall. Part of the subnet configuration is specifying DNS servers, so you can prepend the address of your internal DNS server to the two AT&T DNS servers (which you should keep around as fall backs.)

Third, you need to set up a DNS server at the address your DHCP server advertises.  Here again I use Linux, so I open port 53/UDP and run BIND 9.  The big points are to pass "-4" to the server on the command line (disable IPv6), make sure you're listening on a LAN interface (not just loopback), allow recursion, and configure the two AT&T servers as forwarders.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 18, 2012
(0)

I've decided I want to try out some alternatives to AT&T's DNS servers.  I already have a router set up behind the gateway.  I use the router for my LAN, and wireless is disabled on the Uverse gateway.

The method I used to set up the router was to set the router's WAN connection type to DHCP (Automatic), and place it in the gateway's DMZ.  In order to specify DNS servers via the router, I need to change the connection type to Static IP, which of course won't work since the IP is not static.

So for those of us willing to run a router behind the gateway, how do we specify the alternative DNS servers?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 18, 2012
(0)
fiveolddogs - What I have done & seen in various posts is to enter the new addresses in my computers, network preferences.

I do not have an extra router & do not know how that might impact the result.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 18, 2012
(0)

Thanks for your reply.  Sadly, I have too many pc's and devices for this to be a realistic work-around for me.  Plus, there are some devices which don't allow access to the higher network settings (like my Blu-ray player, for example).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 19, 2012
(0)
fiveolddogs - Did you see this post - http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/NVG510-Bridge-Mode/m-p/3216593#M33277

Perhaps the equipment mentioned can aggregate your multitude of equipment so you can set one DNS server.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 13, 2012
(0)

Go to your local thrift store and buy as many routers and switches you need to isolate your non-IPTV traffic from your IPTV traffic, they cost next to nothing ($5 for an N router). Connect the router to the RG in the DMZ. Use the WAN port and set the router for a static IP (it is static enough, mine only changed because I moved). Use whatever DNS you want.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 22, 2013
(0)

This is all new to me. I'd like to add a router behind the gateway, 3800-HGV-B, to adjust the DNS settings but I'm not sure how to make the connections. Can some please explain in layman's terms? I'm trying to add a Netgear WGR614 router.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2013
(0)

Sure, see post 2 in this thread.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2013
(0)
I have changed the DNS settings on my Mac to use Google and OpenDNS after deleting the DNS cache (as per Apple tech page). However, my personal web site (chrisglick.us) is still inaccessible. I can view it through a proxy site like Guardster.com.

I want to know why AT&T blocks my site but--confirmed--Comcast doesn't. AT&T says they can charge me $49 to update DNS config files, but I've done that for free and it hasn't helped.

How can someone have a site removed from AT&T's blacklist?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2013
(0)
It turns out my web site is blacklisted (as per http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check) at just one blacklist. GoDaddy apparently shelters some perv whose site gets a block of IP addresses blocked (read more http://www.spamresource.com/2010/10/godaddy-blacklisted-by-ahbl.html), including mine.