Posted Oct 11, 2010
Free VOD uses a stream?

Its Monday October 11 at 9:34 pm DST.  I have 3 recordings going and my daughter is watching a 4th channel on her tv.  I went to watch a free vod recording and I get the "All TV services are in use" message.  I didn't know that VOD counted as a stream.  The options I have are to Try again, Select a recording, or interrupt a tv.  Has this always been the case?

I just tried watching Premium VOD and got the same message. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
10-11-2010 6:58:32 PM
(0)

Yes, VOD does count as a stream on the WAN.  If watched on the DVR, it also counts against the DVR ingress limit.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Free VOD uses a stream?

[ Edited ]
9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Oct 11, 2010
(0)

Yes, VOD does count as a stream on the WAN.  If watched on the DVR, it also counts against the DVR ingress limit.

Re: Free VOD uses a stream?

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 11, 2010
(0)

Thanks.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 11, 2010
(0)

Where did you think the VOD came from?  Your DVR can't possibly hold thousands of programs, so the only place it could possibly come from is a stream.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 12, 2010
(0)

RCSMG wrote:

Its Monday October 11 at 9:34 pm DST.  I have 3 recordings going and my daughter is watching a 4th channel on her tv.  I went to watch a free vod recording and I get the "All TV services are in use" message.  I didn't know that VOD counted as a stream.  The options I have are to Try again, Select a recording, or interrupt a tv.  Has this always been the case?

I just tried watching Premium VOD and got the same message. 

Comcast's system does this too, on the DVR box.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 12, 2010
(0)

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Ha.  Something being watched on the DVR counts as WAN and Ingress.

I never thought about that!  D'oh!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 12, 2010
(0)

dhascall wrote:

That would make sense, considering the cable DVR has two tuners.  You may not necessarily think so, but it DOES make sense.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 12, 2010
(0)

kryptonite wrote:

dhascall wrote:

That would make sense, considering the cable DVR has two tuners.  You may not necessarily think so, but it DOES make sense.

It makes sense to me BUT Comcast users can go to a regular (non-DVR) STB and,  even if the DVR is recording on both tuners, they can still watch VOD on those non-DVR boxes.  But then again the Comcast VOD system has a few more shows to choose from.  Just a few (a few thousand).  :smileytongue:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 12, 2010
(0)

I don't think you'd be able to overload the 4HD/0SD profile with the number of VOD offerings on U-verse.  

Ok, sorry for the sarcasm.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 12, 2010
(0)

dhascall wrote:

It makes sense to me BUT Comcast users can go to a regular (non-DVR) STB and,  even if the DVR is recording on both tuners, they can still watch VOD on those non-DVR boxes.  But then again the Comcast VOD system has a few more shows to choose from.  Just a few (a few thousand).  :smileytongue:

Just remember that U-verse has the 4 video stream limit.  An incoming video stream exists for either a live channel or a VOD stream because both are going from the outside into your RG.