Posted Oct 23, 2013
6:17:41 PM
Enabling Open NAT Type for Two Xbox 360s

I have been having problems with gaming (joining/hosting games, etc). I've looked around this website on how to open the ports (3074, 88, 80, 53) with their respective TCP/UDP and have done that. So my question is how do I do this setup to allow two Xbox's on the network with open NAT types? I have a 3801HGV gateway.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Oct 24, 2013 5:56:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by JefferMC on Oct 24, 2013 at 5:58:34 AM

@AirborneHoosier, unfortunately, most (if not all) of the regulars here have not themselves seen a NVG 589.  I can tell you that it is actually configured more like an NVG 510 than a 2WIRE (Morotola uses the term IP Passthru where PACE/2WIRE uses the term DMZplus).

You might try following this:

https://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-General-Care-and-Support/Using-your-own-router-with-the-Motorola-NVG510-it-absolutely/m-p/3434307/highlight/true#M17745

BTW, by the numbers:

1) It cannot be done.  It doesn't have UPnP, and you can't port forward to two different devices.

2) Probably, see above link

3) There are NO configurations involving a 3rd party router certified by AT&T.

4) A bunch of ghosts will be wandering around my house on October 31st.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Enabling Open NAT Type for Two Xbox 360s

14 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013 6:53:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

I tested the firewall setup with only one Xbox on the network, and all the ports opened for that Xbox, and I still end up with a restricted NAT type. So that solution did not work even for one Xbox, let alone two.

Re: Enabling Open NAT Type for Two Xbox 360s

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013 7:01:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You can't port forward to two different addresses behind a NAT router; can't be done, so even if you could get port forwarding to make one work, it'll never fix the other.

What you can do is get your own router/firewall that supports UPnP and configure it behind the RG as described in post 2 in this thread.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013 8:56:24 PM
(0)
Contributor
Hey guys. First time here. I did EVERYTHING described in the link in JefferMC's post here and I'm still getting a moderate Nat on one of my xboxes. I just dropped a hundred dollars on a router and am about to throw it through a wall. I need some troubleshooting guidance here.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013 11:44:33 PM
(0)
Voyager

I have just upgraded my service from Uverse, Turbo Max to "Power". I had a 2wire modem with the Turbo Max service that two xbox's worked great with. I now have the Motorola NVG589 ("Moto") with the Power internet service. My xboxes DO NOT work well with a STRICT NAT TYPE.

I can get the first xbox (they are both hardwired w/ cat5 to the ethernet port on the Moto) to a "Open" Nat type by Firewall-Nat/Gaming...Port forwarding 3074, 88, 80, 53 with their respective TCP/UDP too. Those are dedicated to the first xbox's IP and not available for the 2nd xbox. :smileymad:

I attempted to connect a Lynksys/Cisco WRT610N ver2 router that has UpNp, Port Forwarding, DMZ, Port Range Forwarding, etc (pretty much this router worked fine and allowed open nat types on actually 3 xbox's simultaniously) to the Motorola NVG589. Anyway, long story short, I attempted this by AT&T phone tech support and I was at this for about 8 hours between getting transferred and trying many different things I was told to try. In the end I am still also at square one. The Moto passed data up to the end of the cat5 out of its ethernet cable but I could not get the Linksys router to work. It was transmitting its gateway, but when you connected to it, it would say "no internet connection".

I was going to run the two xboxes off the Linksys which would be "behind" as these techs called it, behind the Moto.

The description above, "Community – Accepted Solution" is talking through menus of a 2wire modem and how to possibly get this working. Also it is dated March of 2011. Yes they might be similar, but they are not precisely the same and these Menu's I have, or many people have. If you don't disable/enable something correctly in these menu's it turns into a coin flip.

So here are my questions:

1) Can a Motorola NVG589 alone support two xbox 360's and have an OPEN NAT type? if yes how? if no, go to 2).

2) If 1) is not possible, then can a Motorola NVG589 with a Lynksys/Cisco WRT610N ver2 router "behind" it support two xbox 360's and have an OPEN NAT type?  if yes how? if no, go to 3).

3) If 1) & 2) are NOT possible, is there a proven certified hardware setup that can be configured w/ the Motorola NVG589 and 2 xbox 360's to provide an OPEN NAT type?  if yes how? if no, go to 4).

4) TWC said, "Call of Duty Ghost comes out November 5th".

thank you

-AirborneHoosier

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Oct 24, 2013 5:56:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by JefferMC on Oct 24, 2013 at 5:58:34 AM

@AirborneHoosier, unfortunately, most (if not all) of the regulars here have not themselves seen a NVG 589.  I can tell you that it is actually configured more like an NVG 510 than a 2WIRE (Morotola uses the term IP Passthru where PACE/2WIRE uses the term DMZplus).

You might try following this:

https://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-General-Care-and-Support/Using-your-own-router-with-the-Motorola-N...

BTW, by the numbers:

1) It cannot be done.  It doesn't have UPnP, and you can't port forward to two different devices.

2) Probably, see above link

3) There are NO configurations involving a 3rd party router certified by AT&T.

4) A bunch of ghosts will be wandering around my house on October 31st.

[ Edited ]
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 24, 2013 2:05:49 PM
(0)
Mentor
Best thing to do is enable IP Passthrough and setup your own personal router and enable upnp.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 24, 2013 2:37:39 PM
(0)
Contributor
So. I'm not at home but I've done this. Bought a router, dmz'd it, and enabled upnp but I'm still getting moderate NAT on one Xbox. Is it possible I need to start from scratch and reconfigure everything? I'm at a loss. Also, using a 2wire not Moto.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 24, 2013 6:00:08 PM
(0)
Voyager

https://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-General-Care-and-Support/Using-your-own-router-with-the-Motorola-N...

Did the trick!!!! JefferMC, YOU THE MAN! 

KUDO'S!!!!!!!!!! X'1,000,000!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 25, 2013 10:06:23 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi jmuzz07,

I think it may be best to start over by resetting the equipment and testing again. To test to see if it is working as it should, try just connecting one Xbox 360 to the U-verse gateway and put it in DMZ mode. Reboot the equipment after you do this, and then see if you are still having it report as a moderate NAT. If so, if a wireless connection, I would suggest removing the connection on your Xbox 360 and connecting back up.

If that works out, then you can put in the 3rd party router configured with uPNP enabled. You want to reset the router connections on the 2wire again, and set the DMZ mode to your router. This should work, but if not, the 3rd party router may need further configurations, as uPNP is definitely not working.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 27, 2013 9:31:14 PM
(0)
Voyager

Oh my!!!!!! My Modem and Linksys router acted up and I am attempting to reset the two. I was going to follow the link: 

But everytime I click it, it says "ACCESS DENIED!!!!"

I reset the NVG589 and I really need the directions on that link to get them back and I am unable to access it...Please help!!?? JefferMC!! are you out there???

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 29, 2013 11:16:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I just clicked on that link and it brought up the thread.  I'm not sure what to tell you.  Try it again now.  If you still don't get there, I'll try to summarize the relevant points.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 4, 2013 7:00:09 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by sarchibald1 on Dec 4, 2013 at 7:03:21 PM

Jeff,

I'm having the same issue and am unable to see the link. It says access denied. Says I don't have sufficient privileges for those actions. Can you summarize?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 5, 2013 7:07:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by JefferMC on Dec 5, 2013 at 8:01:04 AM

The post had been archived.  It is now available again.  Please let me know if you have any more issues getting to it.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 5, 2014 3:15:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have tried several different methods including the above that I found online and finally found one that works. I have att 2wire an xbox one and 360 and now both run with an open nat at the same time and have not disconnected or given me nay problems at all for 3 days now. the following link is a step by step guide to show you how. It requires you to load dd wrt firmware onto a wireless router.
https://thestandardoutput.com/2013/06/running-a-linksys-wrt54gl-with-dd-wrt-behind-an-att-uverse-2wi...