For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
reynolds632075bellsouth.net's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, March 17th, 2011 4:52 AM

DO I STILL HAVE ATT SECURITY SUITE

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

13 years ago

I have an older (PIII 1.1 Ghz) Company Laptop that I use for remote support (mainly hitting websites like Outlook Web Access and the company portal and Remote Desktop Protocol).  Since it is a company laptop, it has McAfee on it.  Whenever I wake it up from a long sleep (i.e. a day or more), I have to wait 20 minutes to use it while McAfee hogs the CPU to update it.  Thereafter, any really busy website (like Facebook) seems to make even Chrome crawl as the McShield.exe process eats up over 50% of the CPU during rendering.

My home systems use either MSE or AVG 9/AVG 2011.  I was about to leave AVG at version 8 because it was about as bad as McAfee, but it got much better at 9.

In short, there are better free alternatives that the McAfee suite that AT&T provides... nearly any of them will give you a faster computer, and few of them will be any less secure than McAfee.

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

13 years ago

Did they have a security suite?

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

13 years ago

@woodscomp wrote:

Did they have a security suite?

They had McAfee at one time. Don't know if they still have it but I wouldn't installl it on my enemies computers, let alone mine or my family and friends.

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

13 years ago

McAfee is still running on a computer here.  And it recently updated to a newer version.  So I guess they still have it.

On another, older computer where I had McAfee, it also updated.  That machine was slow starting with the old McAfee, and became unbearable with the new.  So I removed it and load MSE.  That rejuvenated the computer.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

I run MSE on the HP and nothing on the Mac and a firewall on everything.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

13 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

I have an older (PIII 1.1 Ghz) Company Laptop that I use for remote support (mainly hitting websites like Outlook Web Access and the company portal and Remote Desktop Protocol).  Since it is a company laptop, it has McAfee on it.  Whenever I wake it up from a long sleep (i.e. a day or more), I have to wait 20 minutes to use it while McAfee hogs the CPU to update it.  Thereafter, any really busy website (like Facebook) seems to make even Chrome crawl as the McShield.exe process eats up over 50% of the CPU during rendering.

My home systems use either MSE or AVG 9/AVG 2011.  I was about to leave AVG at version 8 because it was about as bad as McAfee, but it got much better at 9.

In short, there are better free alternatives that the McAfee suite that AT&T provides... nearly any of them will give you a faster computer, and few of them will be any less secure than McAfee.

I've been using MSE since 09 and Win 7 beta.  I really like it and as tech support for a major software company I actually recommend it to our customers.  It's easily configurable, not a resource hog and it's free.  Between it and Malware bytes you are covered for 99.5% of the junk that can effect you.  And using both you still haven't spent a dime.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

I put MSE on all of my computers at home.  The ones that were slow booting, launching software, and connecting to the internet.  Are running a lot faster since I got rid of McAfee, Nortons, and Symantec software.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

13 years ago

@RCSMG wrote:

I put MSE on all of my computers at home.  The ones that were slow booting, launching software, and connecting to the internet.  Are running a lot faster since I got rid of McAfee, Nortons, and Symantec software.

McAfee is the absolute worst from a technician stand point. It's not user friendly and there really isn't any way to configure it.  Symantec (Norton) are resource hogs, but they do work and are at least configurable. 

There are others that I've heard of in my line of work, but I don't like them.  Computer Associates (CA) is bad about randomly quaranteening files, Panda, Vipre and AVG mistake our database files for viruses,  Eset blocks communications in our program. 

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

13 years ago

MSE works great and finds more issues than McAfee ever did.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Read quite a few negatives about Mc afee. That supposedly comes w/A T&T, for free? Not a hot commodity, ok....but what is MSE and how does one obtain this, security for computers, tablets as well? Hopefully. Thks
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.