Posted Oct 16, 2013
12:31:46 PM
Comcast is at it again swindling customers

Can they think of any more ways to bilk their customer?  Full article here.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Comcast is at it again swindling customers

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013 12:46:19 PM
(0)
Scholar
Comcast has more channel offerings, including all local subchannels, and many more on demand offerings than U-Verse. It is a superior product. I bemoan the fact that it is unavailable to me. Charter is a watered down Comcast to me. Money is no issue or concern in my situation, so I'd be willing to pay to have all the great stuff they offer. Charter and Verizon are the two best providers for TV, with U-Verse a very distant third.

Re: Comcast is at it again swindling customers

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013 1:54:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

codycooper864 wrote:
Comcast has more channel offerings, including all local subchannels, and many more on demand offerings than U-Verse. It is a superior product. I bemoan the fact that it is unavailable to me. Charter is a watered down Comcast to me. Money is no issue or concern in my situation, so I'd be willing to pay to have all the great stuff they offer. Charter and Verizon are the two best providers for TV, with U-Verse a very distant third.

Really?  Consumer Reports had FiOS and U-Verse tied at the top, with Comcast lagging behind regionals that I have barely heard of.  I had CC from 1994-2008, nightly internet prime tuime slowdowns and faulty equipment. Could you mocve to a Comcast area?  Maybe you like 2x/year price increases and losuy CS. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013 2:00:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

Hey OUF: I wonder of AT&T/Yahoo News would run a story if it were AT&T that was fleecing custoimers? :smileyhappy:  Comcast is not alone in this type of nickel and diming.  Look at Ticketmaster's fees.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013 2:02:47 PM
(0)
Expert

codycooper864 wrote:
It is a superior product.

Yep, here's that superior channel guide:

Comcast XFinity On-Screen Channel Guide

So superior, looks like it was designed in 1997. :smileyvery-happy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013 2:42:51 PM
(0)
Scholar
You get more channel choices with Comcast. Dispute that. I dare ya!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013 3:02:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

codycooper864 wrote:

Then you should go to Comcast where you will be a lot happier.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013 5:48:20 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Oct 16, 2013 at 7:45:59 PM

codycooper864 wrote:

LOL, I love the sleazy use of the word "choices" to hide the fact that the reason the number comes out large is because of the number of PPV and On Demand titles available.  For example, On Demand titles of shows nobody watches and that are a year old, and PPV movies at $6.00 each.

Let's get down to brass tacks and count actual HD channels:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462894/official-avs-national-hd-channel-lineups-cable-dbs-fiber-iptv-upda...

168 nationwide available HD channels for U-Verse, only 105 for Comcast.  Comcast has an additional 36 that are available in limited areas, but no area has all 36.

Any further Comcast advertising slogans you'd like to discuss?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013 6:18:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

Hey OUF: I wonder of AT&T/Yahoo News would run a story if it were AT&T that was fleecing custoimers? :smileyhappy:  Comcast is not alone in this type of nickel and diming.  Look at Ticketmaster's fees.

Probably, I've seen them be critical of all of them.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013 6:20:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

codycooper864 wrote:

Dare accepted.  Here you go.  168 HD channels compared to 105 Wide and 36 Limited.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013 6:21:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

codycooper864 wrote:

LOL, I love the sleazy use of the word "choices" to hide the fact that the reason the number comes out large is because of the number of PPV and On Demand titles available.  For example, On Demand titles of shows nobody watches and that are a year old, and PPV movies at $6.00 each.

Let's get down to brass tacks and count actual HD channels:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1058081/official-avs-national-hd-channel-lineups-cable-dbs-fiber-iptv-upda...

145 nationwide available HD channels for U-Verse, only 95 for Comcast.  Comcast has an additional 50 that are available in limited areas, but no area has all 50.

Any further Comcast advertising slogans you'd like to discuss?

I posted the updated list as of yesterday. Your's was almost a year old.  Still no competition.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013 7:47:09 PM
(0)
Expert

oufanindallas wrote:

I posted the updated list as of yesterday. Your's was almost a year old.  Still no competition.

Updated link and numbers to reflect, thanks! :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013 3:54:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

Updated link and numbers to reflect, thanks! :smileyhappy:

You're welcome.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013 6:35:50 AM
(0)
Scholar

Lets look at Comcast and Uverse.  Start with the premium channels which is all I watch.  Uverse has all the premium channels that HBO, SHO, and Starz offer along with the east and west feed which I like.  Comcast does not have all the premium channel offering and they do not have the east and west feed.  I do have to give the devil his due.  They do have about the best on demand offering of any service when it works.  Uverse has unlimited data for Internet which is nice if you do a lot of streaming from Netflix etc.  Comcast has a limit on Internet access and when you start getting close to the limit they throttle your speed and when you hit your limit you do not have the option of buying additional space the shut you off until next month.

Myself and this is only my opinion I will take Uverse over Comcast any day.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013 9:11:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

db821arc wrote:

Lets look at Comcast and Uverse.  Start with the premium channels which is all I watch.  Uverse has all the premium channels that HBO, SHO, and Starz offer along with the east and west feed which I like.  Comcast does not have all the premium channel offering and they do not have the east and west feed.  I do have to give the devil his due.  They do have about the best on demand offering of any service when it works.  Uverse has unlimited data for Internet which is nice if you do a lot of streaming from Netflix etc.  Comcast has a limit on Internet access and when you start getting close to the limit they throttle your speed and when you hit your limit you do not have the option of buying additional space the shut you off until next month.

Myself and this is only my opinion I will take Uverse over Comcast any day.

Yep - What you said!  U-Verse wins for me, in about everything with Comcast.  They do have subchannels and Local on the 8's but for the extra $, i'll pass.  As far as caps:  If you have U-Verse internet only, I believe that there is also a cap but not for folks who have TV.  Comcast also has a better VOD, with more free offerings but I do not use it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013 12:51:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru
From what I have heard, many of the Comcast "Choices" also include the 3-5 minute tutorials about how to operate your remote, how to operate your modem, etc. These "Choices" also include the similar 3-5 minute previews of upcoming shows which include a 30-45 second (or possibly longer) ad for that same channel. For example, if you go to "Channel XYZ On Demand", you might get a "Look ahead at Season 4 of this show" which would include an advertisement for whatever product or service. Yuck.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013 1:44:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

baseballisback wrote:
From what I have heard, many of the Comcast "Choices" also include the 3-5 minute tutorials about how to operate your remote, how to operate your modem, etc. These "Choices" also include the similar 3-5 minute previews of upcoming shows which include a 30-45 second (or possibly longer) ad for that same channel. For example, if you go to "Channel XYZ On Demand", you might get a "Look ahead at Season 4 of this show" which would include an advertisement for whatever product or service. Yuck.

I haven't heard about Comcast VoD, I had it.  Lots more VoD choices.  True there are some demos and previews but U-Verse has many too.  When I had it, they had hundreds of free Karaoke songs.  U-Verse charges for that.  Luckily VoD isn't that big for me and that is one of only a few areas where Comcast might have an advantage.  Love my U-Verse!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013 9:54:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Edited by baseballisback on Oct 17, 2013 at 10:03:05 PM

dhascall wrote:

baseballisback wrote:

I haven't heard about Comcast VoD, I had it.  Lots more VoD choices.  True there are some demos and previews but U-Verse has many too.  When I had it, they had hundreds of free Karaoke songs.  U-Verse charges for that.  Luckily VoD isn't that big for me and that is one of only a few areas where Comcast might have an advantage.  Love my U-Verse!

Compared to TW, U-Verse does have stinky VOD. luckily, with the quad-tuner DVR, I don't find myself even going to VOD all that much.

Different strokes for different folks. U-Verse might not be a viable option for a sports fan (Center Ice, etc.), but if you're a movie fan, who else has that many HD premium channels? 

I will say this, though. Comcast had MTVX in the time between 1997ish and 2006.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2013 8:38:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

baseballisback wrote:

dhascall wrote:

baseballisback wrote:

Compared to TW, U-Verse does have stinky VOD. luckily, with the quad-tuner DVR, I don't find myself even going to VOD all that much.

Different strokes for different folks. U-Verse might not be a viable option for a sports fan (Center Ice, etc.), but if you're a movie fan, who else has that many HD premium channels? 

I will say this, though. Comcast had MTVX in the time between 1997ish and 2006.

Me either!  And to be honest, I never used Comcast's VoD that much either.  Who has time?  :smileyvery-happy: I shake my head and wonder at all the comments about VoD - and then I hear folks say that they went to Redbox or got something cool via streaming Netflix (or in the mail) and my comment is "You have time to watch all that?"  I have erased dozens of shows from my DVR, simply because I do not have time to watch / enjoy all of it.  I do telework one day a week and I catch up on some then, as long as it is a show that I do not have to pay too much attention too, lol.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2013 5:14:52 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by LoveHD on Oct 18, 2013 at 5:17:53 PM

I would not put any company on a pedestal.

Many of them are comparable.

I can say that with Comcast, it doesn't lose contractual agreements with programmers. That is good.

One sore point about Comcast is that, for being ranked No. 1 in cable subscribers, it sure isn't organized as well it should be. The company could offer just about any channel that exists; yet it does not. An example is with Boomerang. It's Cartoon Network's spinoff. It's been around since, I think, 2000. That's nearly 15 years. People in the Chicago, Illinois market, which ranks No. 3 (after No. 1 New York City, New York and No. 2 Los Angeles, California) have seen lots of their premium movies' high-definition channels cut. This was apparently due to bandwidth. So, what is that company doing to solve that issue?

The pricing increases more than once per year also speaks to poor organization. Maybe Comcast is saying yes to every programmer in their contractual agreements. Yes to anything; and pass that on to Comcast subscribers.

I can also say that channel mapping for Comcast is disorganized. There is supposed to be a channel mapping that would be nationwide. A "Master Channel List"; like AT&T U-verse is organized with its channel mapping of national cable television programming. (I am referring to all that are not local stations and networks.)

I don't see cody's argument, if he's trying to make one, about Comcast having a superior channels lineup. Comcast does not carry TV Land HD. Comcast does not have HD-only programming of Sony Movie Channel and HD Net Movies, to name two, and it doesn't have AXS-TV. Also, Comcast does not have FX Movie Channel HD. And Comcast does not have Fox Sports 2. Now it is fair to note that AT&T U-verse having lost Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movie Channel, as well as NHL Network, in both SD and HD, gives some props to Comcast. But…

When you get right down to it, this is a personal choice. I don't see one being incredibly superior to the other. But with Comcast, I certainly don't see that company being incredibly superior to any provider of cable television programming.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2013 5:48:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

LoveHD wrote:

I would not put any company on a pedestal.

Many of them are comparable.

I can say that with Comcast, it doesn't lose contractual agreements with programmers. That is good.

One sore point about Comcast is that, for being ranked No. 1 in cable subscribers, it sure isn't organized as well it should be. The company could offer just about any channel that exists; yet it does not. An example is with Boomerang. It's Cartoon Network's spinoff. It's been around since, I think, 2000. That's nearly 15 years. People in the Chicago, Illinois market, which ranks No. 3 (after No. 1 New York City, New York and No. 2 Los Angeles, California) have seen lots of their premium movies' high-definition channels cut. This was apparently due to bandwidth. So, what is that company doing to solve that issue?

The pricing increases more than once per year also speaks to poor organization. Maybe Comcast is saying yes to every programmer in their contractual agreements. Yes to anything; and pass that on to Comcast subscribers.

I can also say that channel mapping for Comcast is disorganized. There is supposed to be a channel mapping that would be nationwide. A "Master Channel List"; like AT&T U-verse is organized with its channel mapping of national cable television programming. (I am referring to all that are not local stations and networks.)

I don't see cody's argument, if he's trying to make one, about Comcast having a superior channels lineup. Comcast does not carry TV Land HD. Comcast does not have HD-only programming of Sony Movie Channel and HD Net Movies, to name two, and it doesn't have AXS-TV. Also, Comcast does not have FX Movie Channel HD. And Comcast does not have Fox Sports 2. Now it is fair to note that AT&T U-verse having lost Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movie Channel, as well as NHL Network, in both SD and HD, gives some props to Comcast. But…

When you get right down to it, this is a personal choice. I don't see one being incredibly superior to the other. But with Comcast, I certainly don't see that company being incredibly superior to any provider of cable television programming.

I think that UVerse offers plenty of sports.  Just not "out of area" MLB and NHL.  RSN, ESPN, FoxSports 1 & 2, NBCSN, BeIN, etc.