For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
eatmyliver's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, October 16th, 2014 10:58 PM

Can't Access DVR Recordings When Uverse is Down

We had DirecTv before Uverse, and one of the nice things about DirecTv was that even when the service went out, we could still access and watch the shows we had recorded on our DVR.

But it seems like with Uverse that if the service temporarily goes out, you can’t access/view the shows or movies you’ve already recorded.  Why would that be?  Aren’t the shows stored locally, on our DVR?  Is there a way to access them even when the Uverse service is out?

If not, that appears to be a glaring disadvantage Uverse has over other carriers.

Thanks for your input,

Rob

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Yeah, It is designed that way because unlikely unauthorized use is more important than an out of service paying customer.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I take your point, and appreciate you replying, but since access to already recorded shows is limitede to accessto the local DVR, how could any access to previously recorded shows be unauthorized? I mean, it's not like HBO Go where friends might share a password.  Only family members with access to that local DVR would be able to access the show content on that local DVR.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

I see I overedited my reply & erased the word unlikely before Unauthorized.

I will replace it because I agree with you - AKA - You are singing to the choir or when you are right, you are right.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

@eatmyliver wrote:

We had DirecTv before Uverse, and one of the nice things about DirecTv was that even when the service went out, we could still access and watch the shows we had recorded on our DVR.

But it seems like with Uverse that if the service temporarily goes out, you can’t access/view the shows or movies you’ve already recorded.  Why would that be?  Aren’t the shows stored locally, on our DVR?  Is there a way to access them even when the Uverse service is out?

If not, that appears to be a glaring disadvantage Uverse has over other carriers.

Thanks for your input,

Rob

Actually has to re-authorize every time you want to FF, REW, FWD, etc. on a recording you're watching, it it doesn't get it, the recording will freeze at that point. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

@eatmyliver wrote:

Thanks for your input,

Rob

Say it with me:  It's not cable.  It's not Dish.  It's not Direct TV.  It's Uverse.

...and no, if your service goes out, you cannot access your recordings.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for answeing Chris.  Are you a Uverse employee?  If so, has Uverse ever considered having the authorization occur locally, on the DVR, like other sytems do?  It's bad enough to be without service, but not being able to access locally stored recordings really is kind of a deal-breaker.

Former Employee

• 

422 Messages

10 years ago

The harddrive that stores recordings is inside the DVR itself.

No service = No internet

No service = No TV

No TV + No internet = No communication to outside networks and servers

No communication to outside networks and servers = no remote access to locally stored information.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for your reply.  If I understand you correctly, even though the data is stored locally, it requires remote approval to be accessible.  But why would that be?  Other systems allow local access to DVR recordings during a carrier outage-- the data is right there on the local harddrive-- without remote approval.  I'm assuming this is a Uverse security decision?  But it's a real penalty to loyal Uverse customers.  If other systems can provide local access, why can't Uverse?  I'm paying a fee each month for access to those recorded shows.    

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

But that is just it, @ji785s, the programs are on our DVR, in our home.  Not in a cloud.

I understand how it works but 1) the "why" it works that way is the beef that most of us have and 2) your example (last sentence) says no remote access to locally stored information.   If the DVR is in our Living Room, we should be able to watch it at least there.   It is almost as if I subscribed to National Geographic magazine from May 2012-May 2014.  It is now August 2014 and you attempt to read the April 2014 issue.  It remains glued to the coffee table (by Nat Geo and a bit of Science Fiction, lol) because you do not currently subscribe.  Kind of a goofball analogy but kinda similar. 

When U-Verse was installed in 2008, the AT&T tech unhooked the Comcast DVR from the coax but left it connected (via component) to the TV.  Since I had no "cable" TV while he was working (Comcast disconnected and UV not yet installed), I attempted to access recordings from the Comcast DVR.  I was able to watch a show.  The UV tech yelled "how are you doing that?  Nothing is connected!"  It was because the programs are maintained on the DVR (just like with U-Verse) but unlike U-Verse, the DVR does not have to check in with AT&T to make sure it's okay for me to watch.  That is what most of us do not like. 

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

I'm going to throw out an assumption.......Since each DVR is registered to a specific account, the software needs to go out and authorize you to play that recorded show.  This will prevent someone from taking their DVR to say Mom & Dad's to watch shows on that DVR that were recorded at their home.  It will also prevent a stolen DVR to be used for anything.  It's worthless and nothing but a door stop.  People sell them on Ebay all the time, people buy them, then come on here and wonder why they can't make them work.

Another thing......If the DVR didn't have to authorize to play a recorded show, someone could technically record 150 hours of HD shows and then give the DVR to someone at another location with no TV service and they could watch all of the recordings, send it back to the individual and have them record another 150 hours, etc. etc.  You get the idea.   

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.