lionofct's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 4:33 PM

Closed

Caller ID shows "Unavailable 1"

Recently. I've been getting calls that register on the caller ID as "Unavailable", and the phone number shown is just "1". Is there a way to block these calls?

Scholar

• 

197 Messages

11 years ago

I get one or two of these Unavailable 1 calls a day. The forum is correct- there is no way to block these calls with your U-Verse Voice service. I have to block them using my phone. But the phone rings once before the caller ID detects the blocked number which is annoying, especially when it wakes me up in the morning, These losers are relentless. They won't give up even though it should be obvious to them by now that I will never answer and talk to them. I can't believe that what they are doing is legal and that they continue to get away with this blatant harassment.

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

Spoofing your telephone number is illegal. http://www.fcc.gov/guides/caller-id-and-spoofing

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I get intermittent calls from this fake phone number, sometimes as many as two per day.  Mostly they are hang up calls.  On occasion one will actually begin a conversation with intent to sell me something.  For instance, a couple of times I got a man's voice informing me that my computer was running too slowly and would soon stop and the guy had a thick Indian or Pakistani accent.  Celebrate diversity.  Another time it was a white guy who was a local contractor that was seeking any kind of work around the house.  I told him I don't do business with people who use fake phone numbers and asked him about the number 1 on my caller ID.  He said that it was just something "they" set up for him.  I think it was an honest answer because he didn't remotely sound skilled enough to use a computer.  

So I think this Unavailable 1 is a scam which is available for those who want to protect their identity, and I also believe it wouldn't take too much effort to discover the identities of these SOB's.  Of greater concern is that AT&T is unmotivated to help it's paying customers with this nuisance.  And the U.S. Government, gravy-sucking pigs that they are, spies on us and knows exactly who we call and who calls us, but does nothing to shield us from scammers and illegal telemarketers.  But, just think--more telemarketers means the government can report the news as jobs added and evidence of growth in the economy.  Makes you want to run out and vote, doesn't it?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I did the same thing (blocked the caller with my phone rather than with AT&T).  It worked for awhile.  I just got home today, though, and whoever is calling with the id of "1" has been calling my number every three minutes for the last two hours straight.  Since it rings once before it's blocked, I've just resorted to turning my ringer off.  I am about ready to change my phone number.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I am in concurence with everyone else. I am looking for a new job and cannot do the screening, but yet I am getting called by this number every night between 7 and 9 PM.  AT&T needs to find a way to stop this or I am canceling my phone service. At least on my cell numbers like this are blocked. 😞

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have tried the same as all of you - I even answered at one point to tell them to stop calling, but there was no one on the other end.  I recently had a stroke and I am getting tired of all these Anonymous, Unavailable calls. I also have a difficult time speaking.  I have added them to my private ATT blocking list (which I can't with the Anonymous 1 because it is not a phone number).  I have also activated the Anonymous restriction - no good.  I have not been answering, but it is still a bother since the phone rings 4x before the vm picks up.  I don't understand how ATT cannot block numbers such as these - Anonymous 1 - I'm not sure I should have picked up because now I'm afraid they now know there is someone on this end.  I have no clue what to do, just wanted to add my "voice" to this annoyance.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Just do this and your problems are solved!!Smiley Wink

Anonymous Call Rejection for U-verse Voice

Anonymous Call Rejection helps you save time and avoid unwanted solicitations by rejecting "mystery" calls from anyone whose caller ID information is blocked.

Your phone does not ring and the caller is unable to leave a voice mail message. Anonymous Call Rejection provides the message, "The number you dialed will not accept your call", to those callers who have their Caller ID information marked as private, restricted, anonymous, unavailable, or blocked. This feature is included with your service at no extra charge.

You can access Anonymous Call Rejection using your online account manager or using your phone. Just press *77# on your phone to activate Anonymous Call Rejection and *87# to turn off.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I think you missed the part where the AT&T Call Blocking feature DOES NOT work for this.  On my account log (for example) even when it shows that it WAS blocked (the red X is by the name "Unavailable") it still not only rings through, it rings through until the answering machine is triggered (6+ times).  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

To recap:

Anonymous Caller ID block does not work since it shows "1" as caller ID so it's NOT anonymous

Call Blocking does not work since you can't put in one digit phone number

Just tonight I have received 8 calls with this 1 caller ID, some as frequent as every 2 minutes.  This is getting rediculous, so much to the point we have given up using this phone and just forward all calls to voice mail.  It's a shame we pay all these money for U-Verse Voice but it does no better than a POTS line.

AT&T:  Please review your feature set for U-Verse Voice and consider expanding the call blocking features to make it useful in real life.

This is what I have to deal with everyday:

Unavailable 1 Today, 9:00 PM 0:10 Go to Address Book
 Unavailable 1 Today, 8:54 PM 0:09 Go to Address Book
 Unavailable 1 Today, 8:52 PM 0:02 Go to Address Book
 Unavailable 1 Today, 8:44 PM 0:00 Go to Address Book
 Unavailable 1 Today, 8:31 PM 0:10 Go to Address Book
 Unavailable 1 Today, 7:31 PM 0:05 Go to Address Book
 Unavailable 1 Today, 6:25 PM 0:06 Go to Address Book
 Unavailable 1 Today, 4:27 PM 0:00 Go to Address Book

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I constantly receive these calls. When I answered today, I found it was the. Tea party calling me. I have previously donated to the Tea Party and the Republican Party, who also uses these tactics. My solution is to inform them that I will no longer make contributions and will also inform everyone I know about this deceptive practice. I am also exploring new carriers, such as Ooma to see if they will cooperate in blocking these calls.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.