Posted Apr 23, 2011
9:33:48 AM
Caller ID shows "Unavailable 1"

Recently. I've been getting calls that register on the caller ID as "Unavailable", and the phone number shown is just "1". Is there a way to block these calls?

102 replies
(15) Me too
(15) Me too
Replies
(102)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 1, 2012 5:22:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

twistedpair wrote:

Just don't answer the call. I guess with answers like that I would be a Master Guru. Or here's another one PM Alex he'll fix it. Or even better yet "suck it up".  With answers like that I could really increase my postings on this forum and get the Master Guru under my nic. Let someone from ATT answer these questions there premi tech on here that work for ATT that could give a better responce than " don't answer the call" . Very lame !!!

You can either take the advice of those who post on here to help other customers or not.  You're not going to get any better answer from anyone at AT&T because there is NOTHING they can do about it.  It doesn't matter who you have for your phone provider, there are too many ways around call blocking and no telephone provider can provide a "cure all"

As for PM Alex, yes that is the best advice for account specific issues since none of us work for AT&T and don't have access to those types of records.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Caller ID shows "Unavailable 1"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 13, 2012 8:48:39 PM
(0)
Teacher

It's really disappointing that AT&T isn't doing anything about this... it's illegal to spoof caller ID--AT&T should not only be blocking these calls, they should be collecting the info of where the calls are coming from (i.e., which VOIP provider) to forward to the authorities.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 16, 2012 8:01:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

And if the call didn't originate on AT&T's network, how are they supposed to know that the caller ID was spoofed?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 16, 2012 10:08:56 PM
(0)
Mentor
JefferMC, wouldn't the specific value "1" be a really, really good clue that it was spoofed?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2012 7:12:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Maybe, but I get legitimate calls from "002" on occasion, from numbers that usually give me correct caller ID.  It's not because it's blocked, it just failed to report properly.  And, no, this is not on AT&T U-verse, this is on my office system.

Yes, I do think that steps could be taken by whatever company provides the caller's connection to the POTS network to force correct Caller ID.  However, I know most of them won't.  My service allows the PBX to send whatever caller ID it wants, and occasionally we've made mistakes setting them up.  We had to catch it when someone got a call from us and asked why the caller ID was wrong.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2012 11:54:20 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi, I found this post via Google when trying to find out about this very same thing. Has anyone actually answered the phone calls from this number? Because I have a few times, and I just get silence and I can hear them hanging up on me. I know it can't be someone using *67 to block their phone number since I tried that on my cell phone and it says "private name, private number". However when these people call, it says "Unknown name" and the number "1". What could this be?? A company or some individual person who is trying to call but keeps pranking me or wanting to talk to someone else other than me? Please help. Thank you.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2012 12:01:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

christinmarie88 wrote:

Hi, I found this post via Google when trying to find out about this very same thing. Has anyone actually answered the phone calls from this number? Because I have a few times, and I just get silence and I can hear them hanging up on me. I know it can't be someone using *67 to block their phone number since I tried that on my cell phone and it says "private name, private number". However when these people call, it says "Unknown name" and the number "1". What could this be?? A company or some individual person who is trying to call but keeps pranking me or wanting to talk to someone else other than me? Please help. Thank you.

Do you have U-verse voice?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2012 12:06:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

texasguy37 wrote:

christinmarie88 wrote:

Do you have U-verse voice?

Yep!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 2, 2012 9:59:14 PM
(0)
Mentor

I think I might have a answer to this. I've noticed that all of the time, the caller id will show 1 in front of the Area code and phone when you have U-verse voice(must be so it can be easier to call long distance or in an are like Houston, across town). The phone number doesn't get disclosed in caller id, leaving a "1" underneath an unavailable. If caller id unit is at default, that happens(I check my corded phone with caller id to make sure). I wouldn't all that much about since if you try to dial it, it's not going anywhere. Caller Id units on phones haven't changed all that much since they where introduced in the 1990's.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 1, 2012 12:23:34 AM
(0)
Teacher

It seems to me ATT should be able to easily fix this problem by simply allowing any 1 thru 10 digit number in the "blocked" phone number field we are allowed to enter up to 20 blocked numbers in.

Right now, they have the field defined as fixed in length and 10 numeric digits but I would think they should be able to easily change this field to make it a variable length field from 1 to 10 digits. That way we could just add "1" as one of the blocked phone numbers. OR perhaps simply allow a 1 with 9 spaces after it to be entered which get stripped when it does it's compare to the incoming caller id when deciding if the call should be blocked or not.

Has anyone suggested something like this to AT&T yet?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 12, 2012 7:44:19 PM
(0)
Contributor
I'm getting several of these everyday. I'm getting really sick of it. I have anonymous call blocking turned on. :smileysad:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 13, 2012 12:34:26 AM
(0)
Teacher

By the way, the callerid shows up on MY phone as "Out of area 1" rather than "Unavailable 1".   Still, if we were allowed to put just a "1" in for the caller's number we want to block, in our "Blocked Caller" list, this should fix the problem. Can AT&T make this change?

Dan

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 18, 2012 1:44:01 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jul 18, 2012 at 1:49:40 PM

Yes, I just talked to these jokers a few min. ago.  The guy said he was from the "computer service senter" and wanted to talk about computer phishing scams and malware and how I could use their service to clean it up.  When I told him I wasn't interested he said "yes you should be interested".  He had an indian accent, of course.  When I interrupted him to say that I respectfully request to be taken off their call list he replied "I'm sorry ma'am we don't have to comply becuase we are not calling from the united states."  I said, well this is illegal then I don't want you to call my number anymore.  He was very hostile and said ** You and hung up then called right back 3 more times in a row.

AT&T needs to do it's faithfull, paying customers a good service by figuring out a way to block 1 digit numbers.  It's not that hard.  Take off the minimum lengh required on blocked numbers.  Very simple.  The fact is they just don't want to do this.  That's why I'm switching carriers.  This was the 3rd strike for them and i'm done.

AT&T does not equal good customer service.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 19, 2012 12:30:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

I was getting the same calls. I entered 000-000-0001 as the number to be blocked. So far it seems to be working. I have not received any calls from #1 in over two months.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 22, 2012 7:05:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

We have been dealing with "Out of Area 1" for too long.  I have tried everything.  Tried the "000-000-0001" and "100-000-0000" thing.  After a few months, they start calling again, non-stop.  AT&T has told me they can't do anything about it - I can cancel my service, if that's what I want.  We recently changed our phone number and within 24 hours, they called again.  The only entities that also had the new number were AT&T and ADT Home Security.  Question:  Anyone else out there also using ADT Home Security and getting these calls?  Wondering if they are linked somehow....

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 24, 2012 8:09:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I have gotten that caller ID notification as well.  I answered the call and it turned out it was an organization that I have been dealing with.  I guess it could be a feature that phone companies are making available business.  I have not heard or read that this is the case.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 24, 2012 9:52:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Jay-Go wrote:

We have been dealing with "Out of Area 1" for too long.  I have tried everything.  Tried the "000-000-0001" and "100-000-0000" thing.  After a few months, they start calling again, non-stop.  AT&T has told me they can't do anything about it - I can cancel my service, if that's what I want.  We recently changed our phone number and within 24 hours, they called again.  The only entities that also had the new number were AT&T and ADT Home Security.  Question:  Anyone else out there also using ADT Home Security and getting these calls?  Wondering if they are linked somehow....

It doesn't matter which service you have, those numbers cannot be blocked.  My mom has had two different phone providers, neither one AT&T and she has had that number call her as well.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 17, 2012 12:01:35 PM
(0)
Guru

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 11, 2013 1:09:12 PM
(0)
Contributor
I just found this thread after answering a call from unavailable 1. A man did come on and asked for my mother, by name. I said she is sick- can I take a message? He said no, that he would call back. I told him to please remove the number if it was a solicitation and not call back because she was on the do not call list. He said she made a pledge that she didn't pay and he would call back (rudely), then hung up on me. I know for a fact this is not true. In addition, If it was a charity or political organization, why the secrecy?
I have no problem not answering the phone (if she wasn't sick in bed I would have let it ring) but my mother will answer calls. I will keep a watch on this forum for any upcoming (hopefully) solutions. She will not add a program that requires her callers to enter a code, etc... Been there done that and it intimidates legit callers like neighbors or friends.
Hurry up AT&T, make your customers your number one priority!! This caller ID scam is a way to prey on elderly or naive customers. Is that the reputation you want?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 11, 2013 2:52:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

If your phone service is with ATT Uverse, there's a feature that will definitely solve your concern.

If you are using the service, you may sign in to att.com/olam to check out the phone features that will actually block those anonymous callers and forward them to a voicemail box which you can listen to using your Uverse phone. Anyways, those type of callers are most likely to guess numbers and try to fool phone owners.

I'm pretty much sure that telephone companies, not just ATT are doing their best to work out these type of cases but bad people have more ways than them. Well, part of the Uverse phone service feature is to hide your own number too when making an outgoing call. Check out the features online using your ATT member ID.

Goodluck!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 12, 2013 7:06:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

spiderman0112 wrote:

If your phone service is with ATT Uverse, there's a feature that will definitely solve your concern.

If you are using the service, you may sign in to att.com/olam to check out the phone features that will actually block those anonymous callers and forward them to a voicemail box which you can listen to using your Uverse phone. Anyways, those type of callers are most likely to guess numbers and try to fool phone owners.

I'm pretty much sure that telephone companies, not just ATT are doing their best to work out these type of cases but bad people have more ways than them. Well, part of the Uverse phone service feature is to hide your own number too when making an outgoing call. Check out the features online using your ATT member ID.

Goodluck!

Unavailable 1 calls cannot be blocked.  Doesn't matter which phone service you have.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 12, 2013 7:55:57 AM
(0)
Guru
If you don't like that ATT won't let you block spoofed numbers, take the liberty upon yourself to buy a 3rd part device to block them.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 12, 2013 8:01:19 AM
(0)
Expert
Or cancel the home phone and go mobile phone only. Telemarketing calls to mobile phones are illegal and always have been, whereas telemarketing calls to land lines have always been legal until the creation of the do-not-call list, which is still not very enforced. As a result, mobile phones get a lot fewer telemarketing calls.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 15, 2013 7:38:12 AM
(0)
Voyager

AT&T could allow you to block the number by allowing wildcards & incomplete numbers in the blocked number list. They just won't for their own reasons.

I only use call blocking for the 20 worst offenders. I won't pay the absurd AT&T monthly fee to increase that amount.

I use a 3rd party software package, Phone Tray, to manage calls that slip through AT&T's cracks. The only problem is it has to let the phone ring once (to retrieve the caller id data) before it can screen. I just answer on the 2nd ring. However, the "Unidentified 1" source places calls outisde of legal calling hours and the one ring is annoying, particluarly if you are sleeping.

They called me 59 times last year and 16 times so far this year.

AT&T executives should be ashamed of themselves for not allowing their paying customers to selectively block any number they want in any format. If a simple 3rd party program can give that flexibility, surely there is a programmer on the AT&T staff that is almost as smart is a couple of guys up in Canada.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 16, 2013 7:20:50 AM
(0)
Voyager

In case AT&T Uverse needs a prod, here's a hint: In the call log, there is a drop down box to the right of each call. Simply add "block this number" to the choices and then block that number even if it has only 1 digit. It really doesn't matter what is passed to AT&T, if they can display it, they can block it. Simply remove the restrictions in the blocked number file that require 7-10 digits. If they can pass a number that doesn't match their own criteria, why can't they allow the individual customer to block it?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 27, 2013 3:42:49 PM
(0)
Mentor

We've been getting "1" calls recently from 2 places who's numbers I am surprised wouldn't show up. One is Tulane Medical Center and the other is a state agency that's in the same state we live in. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2013 8:15:14 AM
(0)
Guru
Take that to law authorities. Caller ID spoofing is illegal and punishable by heavy fines. If you so choose, report them to FCC: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/caller-id-and-spoofing

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 13, 2013 1:47:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

You can't block this caller only identified as "1".  ATT caller block feature will only accept a 10 digit number! 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 2, 2013 8:51:21 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by wptski on May 2, 2013 at 8:52:08 AM

I have that nimber in my Panasonic cordless phone's block call list.  It rings only once, detects the number and hangs up on them.  Works for me!

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 12, 2013 2:28:12 PM
(0)
Voyager

Please count me as another Uverse customer who would like Uverse to enable me to block calls with the caller ID of "Unavailable 1".  The Call Blocking feature doesn't allow this single-digit number to be added to the block list.  I do have "Anonymous Call Blocking" turned on, but that doesn't stop these calls.

If, as some suggest, the "Unavailable 1" indicates that the call is coming thru without any CallerID info associated with it, then I'd like to have AT&T add the ability to block all such calls.  A call without any CallerID info, to me, is suspicious for that alone and not a call I want to get.

Meanwhile, could AT&T at least please provide a thorough explanation why it's not resolved this issue after a couple years of complaints on this thread.  When numerouse customers are expressing this concern and asking for help preventing these repeated, annoying calls, why hasn't AT&T fixed it?  What has been done/tried/failed, etc?   

Thanks in advance for any new info