lionofct's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 4:33 PM

Closed

Caller ID shows "Unavailable 1"

Recently. I've been getting calls that register on the caller ID as "Unavailable", and the phone number shown is just "1". Is there a way to block these calls?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

I'm getting a lot of these unavailable 1 calls now, is there no fix? Thx

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@Cyclone_1 wrote:

I'm getting a lot of these unavailable 1 calls now, is there no fix? Thx

Unfortunately, no.  You cannot enter a "1" as a number in your list of blocked numbers.  I just don't answer the phone when receiving this type of call.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

While I'm not promoting this product, I use a program on my PC that allows me to block any call (including only a '1'). It's called Phonetray and it's free for non-commercial use. You will need a special caller-id modem but that's less than $25 at Amazon.com. My phone rings only one time and the caller can't get to my voicemail to clutter it all up. I love it!

Tutor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Thanks for all the response from everyone, but the basic problem remains.  Unscruplous marketing people have discovered they can defeat call blocking and anonymous call blocking by spoofing or displaying their caller ID as a single digit or someother combination of numbers that are less than standard telephone numbers.  Call screening won't work because you can only input 20 numbers to pass thru.  The suggestion of the PC program with a caller ID modem might work, but I am not sure if it works with Uverse VOIP service (vs POTS lines), plus I am reluctant to spend money to use my voice service without harrasement from these type calls without at least pursuing alternatives.

We need the ability to block any combination of numbers on our call blocking lists, whether it be a single digit or any combination thereof to match what the marketeers are throwing at us.  It is getting to the point of marketing harrasement as most of these calls are robo calls and there is no live person on the other end unless you key in a response to reach someone while the call is in progress.  If you don't answer they leave a voice message, but no reply telephone number, only a response that you can make if you had answered the live call------ however, they leave you their marketing message promoting their poduct---- for example "buriel insurance" which I have received numerous times over the last few days or extended warranties for used vehicles............ it is purely harrasement advertising and must be stopped.

I have a trouble ticket in with AT&T "NOC" whatever that is and hope to get a resonable response and will post on this forum if I do.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

I've seen that displayed on my CID at times as well.  I just didn't answer the call.

Scholar

• 

109 Messages

12 years ago

Just don't answer the call. I guess with answers like that I would be a Master Guru. Or here's another one PM Alex he'll fix it. Or even better yet "suck it up".  With answers like that I could really increase my postings on this forum and get the Master Guru under my nic. Let someone from ATT answer these questions there premi tech on here that work for ATT that could give a better responce than " don't answer the call" . Very lame !!!

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@twistedpair wrote:

Just don't answer the call. I guess with answers like that I would be a Master Guru. Or here's another one PM Alex he'll fix it. Or even better yet "suck it up".  With answers like that I could really increase my postings on this forum and get the Master Guru under my nic. Let someone from ATT answer these questions there premi tech on here that work for ATT that could give a better responce than " don't answer the call" . Very lame !!!

This is the U-verse customer forum.  Customers freely give their time to help other customers resolve issues, answer questions, and get the most out of their service.  You are free to accept the advice offered or you can ignore it.  If you only want answers directly from AT&T personnel, you should contact AT&T directly by letter or phone.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

"With answers like that I could really increase my postings on this forum and get the Master Guru under my nic"

Whats a "nic"?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

@RCSMG wrote:

"With answers like that I could really increase my postings on this forum and get the Master Guru under my nic"

Whats a "nic"?

As in nickname.  Or Handle.  Or...  User ID.

I guess the Caller ID system is supposed to be linked into Zoltar so that it can flawlessly map callers to a meaningful name, independant of telephone directory information or forged or missing telephone numbers.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

Oh ok.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.