Posted Apr 23, 2011
9:33:48 AM
Caller ID shows "Unavailable 1"

Recently. I've been getting calls that register on the caller ID as "Unavailable", and the phone number shown is just "1". Is there a way to block these calls?

Caller ID shows "Unavailable 1"

97 replies
(14) Me too
(14) Me too
Replies
(97)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 23, 2011 11:04:00 AM
(0)
Professor

If you have Uverse Voice, you can do the following.

Anonymous Call Blocking provides the message, "The number you dialed will not accept your call", to those callers who have their Caller ID information marked as private, restricted, anonymous, unavailable, or blocked. This feature is included with your service at no extra charge.

Your phone does not ring and the caller is unable to leave a voice mail message. You can access Anonymous Call Blocking using your online account manager or using your phone. Just press *77# on your phone to activate Anonymous Call Blocking and *87# to turn off.

Note: Unsolicited toll free calls can be stopped by registering them with the National Do Not Call Register. This can be done be done online by going to the National Do Not Call Registry at https://www.donotcall.gov/.  It can take up to 31 days for the number to be removed from all calling lists and an entry must be made for each telephone number that you wish to stop.

Re: Caller ID shows "Unavailable 1"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 24, 2011 5:18:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I've have my system set up with that and it still goes through.  I just don't answer it. If they don't know who they are, I dont' pick up.

I'm to the point of setting up an allowed list of phone numbers instead of using call blocking.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 24, 2011 8:26:14 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have anonymous call blocking on, and I still get these calls. My number is also registered on the national "do not call" list.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 7, 2011 11:25:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

For some reason a lot of people with cell phones show unavailable cause they block their id's.  If the number shows up and you know who they are you can edit the name and it will show up on your TV caller ID.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 12, 2011 4:15:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Pete53FR wrote:

For some reason a lot of people with cell phones show unavailable cause they block their id's.  If the number shows up and you know who they are you can edit the name and it will show up on your TV caller ID.

That has nothing to do with the "Unavailable 1" phone number.  It would be different if there were an actual phone number to look at, but it's just the number 1.  It cannot be blocked using the call block function since it's not enough numbers.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 16, 2011 1:43:01 PM
(0)
Mentor

The number 1 is U-Verse Voice's default -- it prefixes everything with 1, presumably because we are in the US where the country code is 1.  There is nothing you can do currently to block calls coming from "Unavailable" as U-Verse currently does not offer anything similar to Privacy Director or Privacy Manager.  You cannot block these calls.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 18, 2011 3:42:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

There is no way to block this.  I have tried to stop this company from calling for the past 8 months.  They call every day at least once a day.  I have managed to get ahold of one of the organizations that uses these people and they stopped it for a week, but my phone number always gets back on their list.  Believe me I have tried everything imaginable; from registering a complaint with the attorney general to begging.  They are apparently used by the Republican party and other conservative organizations and they are relentless.  AT&T will not help you and the do not call list does not include political calls so you, like myself are out of luck. 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 18, 2011 3:43:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

I tried allowing only specific phone numbers through for a month.  I changed it back to allow all but specifically blocked numbers and the next day they started calling again.  They will not stop and there is no way to stop them.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 19, 2011 4:28:21 AM
(0)
Professor

Unfortunately, political campaigns, charities and survey takers are exempt from the Do Not Call list, the best you can do is ask them to remove your number from their list and hope they grant your request.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 23, 2011 5:55:10 PM
(0)
Teacher

AT&T can easily solve this problem and are obviously receiving money or some other benefit to not put a stop to it. They have chosen a higher power over their customers. More and more folks are getting rid of a home phone for this very reason. When everyone checks out I hope they will have someone left to turn out the lights.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2011 4:28:03 AM
(0)
Professor

hikersc wrote:

AT&T can easily solve this problem and are obviously receiving money or some other benefit to not put a stop to it. They have chosen a higher power over their customers. More and more folks are getting rid of a home phone for this very reason. When everyone checks out I hope they will have someone left to turn out the lights.

ATT has no control over telemarketing, that falls under the jurisdiction of the FCC and the FTC. This may better explain.

http://epic.org/privacy/telemarketing/

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2011 3:20:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

jfw wrote:

hikersc wrote:

ATT has no control over telemarketing, that falls under the jurisdiction of the FCC and the FTC. This may better explain.

http://epic.org/privacy/telemarketing/

So what you are telling me is that AT&T does not have folks that are intelligent enough to figure out how to let the software block an "Unavailable 1" caller ID. Give me a break. I understand that the FCC and FTC has no interest in solving this problem. My point is that the call blocking feature could be made to block calls to "Unavailable 1" and AT&T has chosen not to allow that option. The reason has to be that they are either not smart enough or have an interest in not doing so. So which is it?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 25, 2011 10:56:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

All AT&T has to do is block all names (Private, Unavailable, Unavailable 1 or Name not Found) that don't include a legitamate phone number. Or AT&T could allow its users to enter these names under call blocking.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 25, 2011 11:51:36 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have to agree...somewhat.  The technology *should* be there to allow U-Verse Voice to offer a service like Privacy Director/Manager, which was available with POTS.  The switch would identify that a call was coming through as "unavailable" with no number and allow the caller to record their name, message, etc. The line would then ring with a caller ID of "Privacymanager" and when you answer you would hear the recorded message and allow you to accept to reject the call.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 25, 2011 11:55:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

ncstewart66 wrote:

I have to agree...somewhat.  The technology *should* be there to allow U-Verse Voice to offer a service like Privacy Director/Manager, which was available with POTS.  The switch would identify that a call was coming through as "unavailable" with no number and allow the caller to record their name, message, etc. The line would then ring with a caller ID of "Privacymanager" and when you answer you would hear the recorded message and allow you to accept to reject the call.

POTS is a whole a whole different ballgame. VoIP has made it easier for companies to circumvent call blocking.  That and many of these telemarketers and other unwanted calls have multiple phone numbers.  I don't know of any provider that lets you block more than 20 numbers unless you use exclusive call forwarding which will allow you to set up 20 number to all to call your number.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2011 11:12:07 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just spent over an hour discussing/complaining about the "Unavailable" "1" calls with about 4 AT&T reps.  They all say the same thing, nothing they can do about it because they don't know what the number is to allow us to block it.  Typical customer un-service response.  Bottom line is they are probably making money on the situation so there is no compelling reason for them to do the right thing.  I'm supposed to get a call back from a manager type.  I'll repeat my request if/when they call,  credit my account with a dollar for each one of these calls.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2011 5:15:44 PM
(0)
Mentor

I agree that POTS is in a different category than VOiP, but the technology I'm talking about is based in how to handle incoming calls from callers where either the number is not sent (unavailable) OR the number is blocked (private, etc.).  There is still a central office-style-switch on the front end of this that can decide what to do about these calls, whether VOiP or POTS.  When companies send numbers and names, however obscure, all bets are off.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 8, 2011 5:38:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

lmike51b wrote:

Just spent over an hour discussing/complaining about the "Unavailable" "1" calls with about 4 AT&T reps.  They all say the same thing, nothing they can do about it because they don't know what the number is to allow us to block it.  Typical customer un-service response.  Bottom line is they are probably making money on the situation so there is no compelling reason for them to do the right thing.  I'm supposed to get a call back from a manager type.  I'll repeat my request if/when they call,  credit my account with a dollar for each one of these calls.

Your logic is so far out there.  There are too many ways to spoof call blocking that most good hackers can do it.  If you don't want to get those calls set up call screening.  That way only the numbers you decide actually get through.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 23, 2011 6:28:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

lmike51b wrote:

Your logic is so far out there.  There are too many ways to spoof call blocking that most good hackers can do it.  If you don't want to get those calls set up call screening.  That way only the numbers you decide actually get through.

I found this out from here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ011aseohQ

The phone company didn't pay for it therefore doesn't show up.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 5, 2012 12:34:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm getting a lot of these unavailable 1 calls now, is there no fix? Thx

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 5, 2012 12:36:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Cyclone_1 wrote:

I'm getting a lot of these unavailable 1 calls now, is there no fix? Thx

Unfortunately, no.  You cannot enter a "1" as a number in your list of blocked numbers.  I just don't answer the phone when receiving this type of call.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 16, 2012 11:05:00 AM
(0)
Tutor
While I'm not promoting this product, I use a program on my PC that allows me to block any call (including only a '1'). It's called Phonetray and it's free for non-commercial use. You will need a special caller-id modem but that's less than $25 at Amazon.com. My phone rings only one time and the caller can't get to my voicemail to clutter it all up. I love it!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 22, 2012 12:56:05 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for all the response from everyone, but the basic problem remains.  Unscruplous marketing people have discovered they can defeat call blocking and anonymous call blocking by spoofing or displaying their caller ID as a single digit or someother combination of numbers that are less than standard telephone numbers.  Call screening won't work because you can only input 20 numbers to pass thru.  The suggestion of the PC program with a caller ID modem might work, but I am not sure if it works with Uverse VOIP service (vs POTS lines), plus I am reluctant to spend money to use my voice service without harrasement from these type calls without at least pursuing alternatives.

We need the ability to block any combination of numbers on our call blocking lists, whether it be a single digit or any combination thereof to match what the marketeers are throwing at us.  It is getting to the point of marketing harrasement as most of these calls are robo calls and there is no live person on the other end unless you key in a response to reach someone while the call is in progress.  If you don't answer they leave a voice message, but no reply telephone number, only a response that you can make if you had answered the live call------ however, they leave you their marketing message promoting their poduct---- for example "buriel insurance" which I have received numerous times over the last few days or extended warranties for used vehicles............ it is purely harrasement advertising and must be stopped.

I have a trouble ticket in with AT&T "NOC" whatever that is and hope to get a resonable response and will post on this forum if I do.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 23, 2012 4:30:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I've seen that displayed on my CID at times as well.  I just didn't answer the call.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 24, 2012 6:06:40 AM
(0)
Mentor

Just don't answer the call. I guess with answers like that I would be a Master Guru. Or here's another one PM Alex he'll fix it. Or even better yet "suck it up".  With answers like that I could really increase my postings on this forum and get the Master Guru under my nic. Let someone from ATT answer these questions there premi tech on here that work for ATT that could give a better responce than " don't answer the call" . Very lame !!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 24, 2012 7:48:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

twistedpair wrote:

Just don't answer the call. I guess with answers like that I would be a Master Guru. Or here's another one PM Alex he'll fix it. Or even better yet "suck it up".  With answers like that I could really increase my postings on this forum and get the Master Guru under my nic. Let someone from ATT answer these questions there premi tech on here that work for ATT that could give a better responce than " don't answer the call" . Very lame !!!

This is the U-verse customer forum.  Customers freely give their time to help other customers resolve issues, answer questions, and get the most out of their service.  You are free to accept the advice offered or you can ignore it.  If you only want answers directly from AT&T personnel, you should contact AT&T directly by letter or phone.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 24, 2012 4:37:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

"With answers like that I could really increase my postings on this forum and get the Master Guru under my nic"

Whats a "nic"?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2012 2:28:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

RCSMG wrote:

"With answers like that I could really increase my postings on this forum and get the Master Guru under my nic"

Whats a "nic"?

As in nickname.  Or Handle.  Or...  User ID.

I guess the Caller ID system is supposed to be linked into Zoltar so that it can flawlessly map callers to a meaningful name, independant of telephone directory information or forged or missing telephone numbers.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 29, 2012 1:26:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Oh ok.