Davy49's profile

Mentor

• 

155 Messages

Saturday, September 13th, 2014 2:27 PM

Caller ID Doesn't Display Caller Name Properly

Hello,

Instead of showing the name of the person who is calling our phone #, normally all I see displayed both on my phone and TV screen is ' Unavailable ' . At least to me..this makes having caller id virtually useless, for instance..if my wife calls our house instead of showing her name it shows unavailable. Does anyone else have this issue ?

Thanks,

David

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Caller ID is very complicated.

It starts with the caller - must have an ID to present. Not a spoof. Many wireless numbers do not have one available - It just says Wireless. But, some do have a good ID.

I have seen unavailable on random calls, but not all. I believe if it is a U-verse problem you would see it on all calls. Do you get some good IDs?

What do you see if your wife calls another number? Perhaps caller ID blocking is turned on on your wifes phone - https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401965#fbid=fUJr12Y6jyz

One last thing. Many phones have the ability to determine what is presented. I use it on my panasonic wireless to announce friends and family just by first name.

Mentor

• 

155 Messages

10 years ago

Hi aviewer,

Thanks for replying to my post..as far as your question about if I see any " good IDs ", I'd have to say no. The closest to what I would call to a 'good ID' would be when the caller ID displays 'Wireless Caller' when my wife calls our home phone #, as well as when our son's call home via their cell phones. Our home phone system is also the panasonic brand, some caller id's on display the letter 'I' or simply just display the word 'Unavailable' . Before we switched to Uverse, we had comcast as our provider, the caller id function seemed to display properly with them.

David

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Davy49 - As I said - It is complicated - I suggest you check out Caller ID on Wikipedia.

Wireless is the most common valid ID  for cell phones. Did you just change cell phone provider?

Out of a dozen cell phones that call me, two have a name. "wireless" is the standard.

Could the I be a 1? There are many posts complaining that telemarketers use this because it is not easily blocked.

Unavailable has multiple sources - One is the caller turns off the caller ID. Could be another spoof. A new spoof is to use your number.

Is your Panasonic base station plugged in to the RG? If not, give it a try. Faulty house wiring can distort the CID.

Those are all possiblities. So is an att failure. If you can get a clean example of a call to one phone with name & one to yours without, they may be able to fix it. We can only guess.

Mentor

• 

155 Messages

10 years ago

Dear aviewer,

One question you asked me in your most recent reply:

" Is your Panasonic base station plugged in to the RG? If not, give it a try. Faulty house wiring can distort the CID." Yes, my base station is plugged directly into the back of the RG ( NVG589 ), I think I'll just continue to do more research about this. Thanks again for responding.

David

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

10 years ago

@aviewer wrote:

Davy49 - As I said - It is complicated - I suggest you check out Caller ID on Wikipedia.

Wireless is the most common valid ID  for cell phones. Did you just change cell phone provider?

Out of a dozen cell phones that call me, two have a name. "wireless" is the standard.

Could the I be a 1? There are many posts complaining that telemarketers use this because it is not easily blocked.

Unavailable has multiple sources - One is the caller turns off the caller ID. Could be another spoof. A new spoof is to use your number.

Is your Panasonic base station plugged in to the RG? If not, give it a try. Faulty house wiring can distort the CID.

Those are all possiblities. So is an att failure. If you can get a clean example of a call to one phone with name & one to yours without, they may be able to fix it. We can only guess.

Ever since I switched from an AT&T landline to Uverse phone service I have been inundated with calls from "Out of Area", some of which are in my area code, but hardly any ever listing more than a phone number. Lately, I have also been getting a lot of calls from the number "1" as well, and it can't be blocked. So, my response to these calls is: No Name, No complete number, No answer. If I recognize the number, I'll answer it. I am also telling companies the same thing if they say they'll call me back. Either their caller ID lists their company name or they'll have to leave and name and direct phone number for me to call them back. I don't have the time or desire to be bothered by these people. The national do not call list is a complete waste of time either because the responsible agency is too overwhelmed by all the violators, or they just like being paid for not doing anything. Either way, the legislation and the agency are both useless!

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

@Hopalong_1 wrote:

@aviewer wrote:

Ever since I switched from an AT&T landline to Uverse phone service I have been inundated with calls from "Out of Area", some of which are in my area code, but hardly any ever listing more than a phone number. Lately, I have also been getting a lot of calls from the number "1" as well, and it can't be blocked. So, my response to these calls is: No Name, No complete number, No answer. If I recognize the number, I'll answer it. I am also telling companies the same thing if they say they'll call me back. Either their caller ID lists their company name or they'll have to leave and name and direct phone number for me to call them back. I don't have the time or desire to be bothered by these people. The national do not call list is a complete waste of time either because the responsible agency is too overwhelmed by all the violators, or they just like being paid for not doing anything. Either way, the legislation and the agency are both useless!

The do no call list is not wasted, just too many loopholes.  If you read the FAQs, all political calls are allowed, any company you've ever had an association w/can call you too.  Even others are allowed to call.

Before the primary here in MI, there were so many 000 calls from the political people, luckily I'm at work on afternoons and saw them when I got back home.  Not a single message was left from any of them. Smiley Mad

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATTUverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

ok, then how come I always got a good caller ID when I had Xfinity on the same numbers I can only get Unavailable now?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.