Posted Dec 9, 2011
8:02:19 AM
View profile
Best Way to Connect New Sony Blu-Ray

I am a novice here (so don't laugh.)  I just got a new Sony Blu-Ray and need to know the best way to connect it to the TV/Uverse box in the bedroom (what to plug where.)  There are no other components connected there.  The Blu-Ray has WiiFii capability and the router is in another part of the house.

I am a novice here (so don't laugh.)  I just got a new Sony Blu-Ray and need to know the best way to connect it to the TV/Uverse box in the bedroom (what to plug where.)  There are no other components connected there.  The Blu-Ray has WiiFii capability and the router is in another part of the house.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 7, 2013 4:33:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
russ1623 - Probably the most important thing here is - The U-verse STB does not have any inputs for anything other than the U-verse IPTV signal. Your speed bump is - You have moved ahead on the DVD player - Blue ray requires an HDMI connection because it is 1080p & not the TV.

I think there are two simple choices - Drop back to a DVD player (cannot play blue-ray) with composite or component outputs. Or, go for a 1080p TV, The good news is the prices are way down on 1080p TVs. This is the price you pay to keep up with the improvements in technology & you are on the right side of the price curve.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Best Way to Connect New Sony Blu-Ray

22 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(22)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 8:30:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The Blu-ray player should be connected directly to the TV.  What connections options exist on the TV?

The Blu-ray player should be connected directly to the TV.  What connections options exist on the TV?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Best Way to Connect New Sony Blu-Ray

2 of 23 (8,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 8:44:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Dvdjns1 - As TG says the output of the bluray is connected to a matching type of input on the TV & selected via a remote action.

You also mention an internet connection. THis can be wired - cat5 connection to the RG. If your STB is fed coax you may want to plug the cat5 cable into the network jack on the STB even though it is not officially supported.

For wi-fi - make sure the wireless is on in the RG. You should be able to follow a menu in the bluray. Let us know if you need more.

You can access the RG by this link -http://192.168.1.254/
Dvdjns1 - As TG says the output of the bluray is connected to a matching type of input on the TV & selected via a remote action.

You also mention an internet connection. THis can be wired - cat5 connection to the RG. If your STB is fed coax you may want to plug the cat5 cable into the network jack on the STB even though it is not officially supported.

For wi-fi - make sure the wireless is on in the RG. You should be able to follow a menu in the bluray. Let us know if you need more.

You can access the RG by this link -http://192.168.1.254/

3 of 23 (8,406 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 9:06:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Edited by americangame on Dec 9, 2011 at 9:11:46 AM

Dvdjns1 wrote:

The best way is to connect it via a HDMI cable if your TV is capable of connecting to the blu way this way. This is also the best way to connect your U-verse STB to the TV as well. The HDMI cable is the same on both sides and you would want to connect one end into your BD player and one end into the back of your TV.

The second best way is via componenet cable (red/blue/green analog RCA cables along with a red/white analog RCA cables) but some newer model blu ray players don't have those on the player itself.

The 3rd and worst option is composite cables (red/white/yellow analog RCA cables) This will give you the capability to watch blu rays on your TV but you won't get the high-definition experience that blu-ray players and discs are made for.

In my opinion, the best place to order these cables from is Monoprice.com. The cost of these cables from here is ~$5 compared going into Best Buy or Walmart and them wanting about $25+ for a similar cable. You can find some that cost $100 but give the exact same performance as one of these cables.

In order to insure that we can help you out to the best of our ability. Can you tell us the model numbers of your TV and blu ray players?

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

Dvdjns1 wrote:

The best way is to connect it via a HDMI cable if your TV is capable of connecting to the blu way this way. This is also the best way to connect your U-verse STB to the TV as well. The HDMI cable is the same on both sides and you would want to connect one end into your BD player and one end into the back of your TV.

The second best way is via componenet cable (red/blue/green analog RCA cables along with a red/white analog RCA cables) but some newer model blu ray players don't have those on the player itself.

The 3rd and worst option is composite cables (red/white/yellow analog RCA cables) This will give you the capability to watch blu rays on your TV but you won't get the high-definition experience that blu-ray players and discs are made for.

In my opinion, the best place to order these cables from is Monoprice.com. The cost of these cables from here is ~$5 compared going into Best Buy or Walmart and them wanting about $25+ for a similar cable. You can find some that cost $100 but give the exact same performance as one of these cables.

In order to insure that we can help you out to the best of our ability. Can you tell us the model numbers of your TV and blu ray players?

-------

[ Edited ]
4 of 23 (8,402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 9:14:18 AM
(0)
Tutor
Will I need 2 HDMI cables? One to connect the Blu-ray to the Uverse STB and another to connect the Uverse STB to the TV?
Will I need 2 HDMI cables? One to connect the Blu-ray to the Uverse STB and another to connect the Uverse STB to the TV?

5 of 23 (8,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 9:16:08 AM
(0)
Tutor
It has HDMI connectrions.
It has HDMI connectrions.

6 of 23 (8,398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 9:19:56 AM
(0)
Tutor
My TV is Model: NS-37L760A12SKU and the Blu-Ray is Model number: BDP-S780.
My TV is Model: NS-37L760A12SKU and the Blu-Ray is Model number: BDP-S780.

7 of 23 (8,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 9:20:13 AM
(0)
Tutor
Insignia TV.
Insignia TV.

8 of 23 (8,403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 9:33:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Dvdjns1 wrote:

If your Blu-ray player has an HDMI output, you can use an HDMI cable to connect the player to the TV.

How is the U-verse box currently connected to your TV?

Dvdjns1 wrote:

If your Blu-ray player has an HDMI output, you can use an HDMI cable to connect the player to the TV.

How is the U-verse box currently connected to your TV?

9 of 23 (8,402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 10:09:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Dvdjns1 wrote:

You'll want to connect the Blu-Ray player to the TV via HDMI and the U-Verse STB to the TV via HDMI. You will only need to get 2 HDMI cables if your UVerse STB isn't connected to the TV via HDMI.

So to recap here's how you'll want things connected:

U-Verse STB connected to the TV into HDMI 1 via an HDMI cable

Blu Ray Player connected to the TV into HDMI 2 via an HDMI cable

There is no cable connecting the U-Verse STB to the Blu Ray player.

Is there any other equipment you're hooking up to this TV (VCR, Sound system, etc.) ?

-------

Dvdjns1 wrote:

You'll want to connect the Blu-Ray player to the TV via HDMI and the U-Verse STB to the TV via HDMI. You will only need to get 2 HDMI cables if your UVerse STB isn't connected to the TV via HDMI.

So to recap here's how you'll want things connected:

U-Verse STB connected to the TV into HDMI 1 via an HDMI cable

Blu Ray Player connected to the TV into HDMI 2 via an HDMI cable

There is no cable connecting the U-Verse STB to the Blu Ray player.

Is there any other equipment you're hooking up to this TV (VCR, Sound system, etc.) ?

-------

10 of 23 (8,396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 3:43:31 PM
(0)
Expert
Dvdjns1,

If you need an extra HDMI cable and can wait a few days for delivery, you can get them very inexpensively at Monoprice.com. Take a look at the following link:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&for...

This is a 6 foot category 2 high-speed certified HDMI cable for $3.50.

I have no affiliation with Monoprice, I just hate to see people get ripped off by spending $100 on the same cable with a certain monstrous name on it.
Dvdjns1,

If you need an extra HDMI cable and can wait a few days for delivery, you can get them very inexpensively at Monoprice.com. Take a look at the following link:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2

This is a 6 foot category 2 high-speed certified HDMI cable for $3.50.

I have no affiliation with Monoprice, I just hate to see people get ripped off by spending $100 on the same cable with a certain monstrous name on it.

11 of 23 (8,241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2013 7:55:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hey I read your post and here I am with the same situation 3 years later. 

I dont even know what type of HDMI cable to get 

12 of 23 (6,594 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2013 4:01:06 AM
(0)
Scholar

MsPeppermintp wrote:

Any of these http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10240

MsPeppermintp wrote:

Any of these http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10240

13 of 23 (6,581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2013 11:19:16 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by txakura on Jun 17, 2013 at 11:20:44 PM

One of those really good things about digital reproduction is if you connect via HDMI, the only real hinderance is the length of the cable.  Digital is digital is digital, and pure IR drop is your only enemy.  If you can stick to cables 12 feet or so or less, you won't have any problem with signal, and the products from Monoprice will do the job splendidly.  I just purchased a new signal processor, and with it all new HDMI cables - from Monoprice.  Everything works just fine.

And on another note with respect to connecting to the TV, you'll need to switch between the two inputs (U-verse STB and BD player) with the TV remote.  Possibilities will be clicking a given switch that cycles through all the possible inputs and separate buttons for each input.  Just mentioned this in case the original poster is still questioning how to use the BD player AND the U-verse STB.

One of those really good things about digital reproduction is if you connect via HDMI, the only real hinderance is the length of the cable.  Digital is digital is digital, and pure IR drop is your only enemy.  If you can stick to cables 12 feet or so or less, you won't have any problem with signal, and the products from Monoprice will do the job splendidly.  I just purchased a new signal processor, and with it all new HDMI cables - from Monoprice.  Everything works just fine.

And on another note with respect to connecting to the TV, you'll need to switch between the two inputs (U-verse STB and BD player) with the TV remote.  Possibilities will be clicking a given switch that cycles through all the possible inputs and separate buttons for each input.  Just mentioned this in case the original poster is still questioning how to use the BD player AND the U-verse STB.

[ Edited ]
14 of 23 (6,503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2013 9:56:05 AM
(0)
Mentor

I can vouch for cables from Monoprice, they work great. I would recommend their ultra slim series with Redmere Technology.  A bit more expensive than the basic cable, the picture is awesome - but, better than that those cables are the thinnest cables I have ever seen.  You can route them anywhere - even if you already have a spiderweb of a setup with a million other cables going on.

I can vouch for cables from Monoprice, they work great. I would recommend their ultra slim series with Redmere Technology.  A bit more expensive than the basic cable, the picture is awesome - but, better than that those cables are the thinnest cables I have ever seen.  You can route them anywhere - even if you already have a spiderweb of a setup with a million other cables going on.

15 of 23 (6,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2013 10:27:40 AM
(0)
Mentor

Something I missed when I posted (a week ago!), is the fact part of your initial question was about a network connection.  Most EVERY piece of equipment (Set-top-box, DVD player, Apple TV/Google TV) and the TV itself will have a network port anymore.  Depending on what piece of equipment you connect via your network, you will get different results.  Most will have Netflix capability, Pandora, and, possibly an Internet browser.  All that's necessary is a network cable connection (Cat-5) from your U-verse modem to the piece of equipment.  The (HDMI?) cable that runs from the piece of equipment to the TV will also, then, carry whatever service you choose and it will appear on the TV.

Something I missed when I posted (a week ago!), is the fact part of your initial question was about a network connection.  Most EVERY piece of equipment (Set-top-box, DVD player, Apple TV/Google TV) and the TV itself will have a network port anymore.  Depending on what piece of equipment you connect via your network, you will get different results.  Most will have Netflix capability, Pandora, and, possibly an Internet browser.  All that's necessary is a network cable connection (Cat-5) from your U-verse modem to the piece of equipment.  The (HDMI?) cable that runs from the piece of equipment to the TV will also, then, carry whatever service you choose and it will appear on the TV.

16 of 23 (6,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 9:42:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

maybe i should start a new post, but i have a similar problem.

i'm trying to connect my sony blu ray bdp s3100 to at&t uverse cable box via HDMI.  so i make the connection, but i can't get a picture.

i have a samsung tv, and i'd prefer to just go straight to the tv. but this is an older model and doesn't have hdmi.

i don't consider myself a novice, but maybe i am.  what am i missing??  thanks for any help!

maybe i should start a new post, but i have a similar problem.

i'm trying to connect my sony blu ray bdp s3100 to at&t uverse cable box via HDMI.  so i make the connection, but i can't get a picture.

i have a samsung tv, and i'd prefer to just go straight to the tv. but this is an older model and doesn't have hdmi.

i don't consider myself a novice, but maybe i am.  what am i missing??  thanks for any help!

17 of 23 (5,472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 7, 2013 4:33:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
russ1623 - Probably the most important thing here is - The U-verse STB does not have any inputs for anything other than the U-verse IPTV signal. Your speed bump is - You have moved ahead on the DVD player - Blue ray requires an HDMI connection because it is 1080p & not the TV.

I think there are two simple choices - Drop back to a DVD player (cannot play blue-ray) with composite or component outputs. Or, go for a 1080p TV, The good news is the prices are way down on 1080p TVs. This is the price you pay to keep up with the improvements in technology & you are on the right side of the price curve.

18 of 23 (5,456 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 7:39:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

thank you!

i've been searching online for days for an answer, but this is the first forum that gave me an answer that makes sense.

thank you!

i've been searching online for days for an answer, but this is the first forum that gave me an answer that makes sense.

19 of 23 (5,422 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 4:51:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
russ1623 - Glad I could help. Post if you have more questions.

It probably is time for a new TV. Here, is a converter to convert HDMI to component - http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HDMI-Component-Converter-Converts/dp/B00E5QWZ8A/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Your TV does have component input?? If not it is really time for a new one.

Note that it has no reviews & just adds complications to to your equipment. but, it should/might work for your case - the picture will NOT be 1080p = something less.
If you consider a converter make sure it works with HDMI input and component output. Not the reverse.
russ1623 - Glad I could help. Post if you have more questions.

It probably is time for a new TV. Here, is a converter to convert HDMI to component - http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HDMI-Component-Converter-Converts/dp/B00E5QWZ8A/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Your TV does have component input?? If not it is really time for a new one.

Note that it has no reviews & just adds complications to to your equipment. but, it should/might work for your case - the picture will NOT be 1080p = something less.
If you consider a converter make sure it works with HDMI input and component output. Not the reverse.

20 of 23 (5,402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 12:18:21 PM
(0)
Mentor

For the past couple of years, since my TV is old enough it doesn't even produce 1080p (it does have 1080i, however, and most every piece of video generating equipment can handle that), I have used a converter called "HD Fury III."  It can handle either 1080i or 1080p  from HDMI converted to component, which I have to assume your TV has - if it's HD, I can't imagine it not having at least that!  It's (lots) more expensive than the converter mentioned about, but it's output is worth the money.  It's allowed me to watch a quality picture on my old TV with the very latest video generating equipement.  That includes a Blu-ray player at 1080i , another DVD player at the same resolution, U-verse at 1080i and Tivo, also at 1080i.  I know there's a difference between 1080i and 1080p, but the HD Fury makes it a lot less noticeable.

Here's a link to the HD Fury III information:          http://www.hdfury.com/products/hdfuryiii-specs/

If you look, and consider buying, make sure you go far enough down the order page to find the HD Fury III.  They have their very latest on top and make you look for it.

For the past couple of years, since my TV is old enough it doesn't even produce 1080p (it does have 1080i, however, and most every piece of video generating equipment can handle that), I have used a converter called "HD Fury III."  It can handle either 1080i or 1080p  from HDMI converted to component, which I have to assume your TV has - if it's HD, I can't imagine it not having at least that!  It's (lots) more expensive than the converter mentioned about, but it's output is worth the money.  It's allowed me to watch a quality picture on my old TV with the very latest video generating equipement.  That includes a Blu-ray player at 1080i , another DVD player at the same resolution, U-verse at 1080i and Tivo, also at 1080i.  I know there's a difference between 1080i and 1080p, but the HD Fury makes it a lot less noticeable.

Here's a link to the HD Fury III information:          http://www.hdfury.com/products/hdfuryiii-specs/

If you look, and consider buying, make sure you go far enough down the order page to find the HD Fury III.  They have their very latest on top and make you look for it.

21 of 23 (5,363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 10:42:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

After recording in Xfire the quality drops while editing in sony vegas, at first the quality is quite good, but then i go to sony vegas and hit preview the quality drops alot. Is it because its just preview and its different after it is done?

After recording in Xfire the quality drops while editing in sony vegas, at first the quality is quite good, but then i go to sony vegas and hit preview the quality drops alot. Is it because its just preview and its different after it is done?

22 of 23 (5,021 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 12:13:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have a video creating program called Pinnacle Studio, version 12. I can connect my camcorder to it and take video from that and put it on my computer, and edit it in any way i want. But it doesn't save in a format that YouTube will let me upload it in. How can I change the format of a video to a YouTube acceptable format?

I have a video creating program called Pinnacle Studio, version 12. I can connect my camcorder to it and take video from that and put it on my computer, and edit it in any way i want. But it doesn't save in a format that YouTube will let me upload it in. How can I change the format of a video to a YouTube acceptable format?

23 of 23 (4,722 Views)