Dvdjns1's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, December 9th, 2011 4:02 PM

Best Way to Connect New Sony Blu-Ray

I am a novice here (so don't laugh.)  I just got a new Sony Blu-Ray and need to know the best way to connect it to the TV/Uverse box in the bedroom (what to plug where.)  There are no other components connected there.  The Blu-Ray has WiiFii capability and the router is in another part of the house.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

russ1623 - Probably the most important thing here is - The U-verse STB does not have any inputs for anything other than the U-verse IPTV signal. Your speed bump is - You have moved ahead on the DVD player - Blue ray requires an HDMI connection because it is 1080p & not the TV.

I think there are two simple choices - Drop back to a DVD player (cannot play blue-ray) with composite or component outputs. Or, go for a 1080p TV, The good news is the prices are way down on 1080p TVs. This is the price you pay to keep up with the improvements in technology & you are on the right side of the price curve.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

The Blu-ray player should be connected directly to the TV.  What connections options exist on the TV?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Dvdjns1 - As TG says the output of the bluray is connected to a matching type of input on the TV & selected via a remote action.

You also mention an internet connection. THis can be wired - cat5 connection to the RG. If your STB is fed coax you may want to plug the cat5 cable into the network jack on the STB even though it is not officially supported.

For wi-fi - make sure the wireless is on in the RG. You should be able to follow a menu in the bluray. Let us know if you need more.

You can access the RG by this link -http://192.168.1.254/

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

12 years ago

@Dvdjns1 wrote:

I am a novice here (so don't laugh.)  I just got a new Sony Blu-Ray and need to know the best way to connect it to the TV/Uverse box in the bedroom (what to plug where.)  There are no other components connected there.  The Blu-Ray has WiiFii capability and the router is in another part of the house.

The best way is to connect it via a HDMI cable if your TV is capable of connecting to the blu way this way. This is also the best way to connect your U-verse STB to the TV as well. The HDMI cable is the same on both sides and you would want to connect one end into your BD player and one end into the back of your TV.

The second best way is via componenet cable (red/blue/green analog RCA cables along with a red/white analog RCA cables) but some newer model blu ray players don't have those on the player itself.

The 3rd and worst option is composite cables (red/white/yellow analog RCA cables) This will give you the capability to watch blu rays on your TV but you won't get the high-definition experience that blu-ray players and discs are made for.

In my opinion, the best place to order these cables from is Monoprice.com. The cost of these cables from here is ~$5 compared going into Best Buy or Walmart and them wanting about $25+ for a similar cable. You can find some that cost $100 but give the exact same performance as one of these cables.

In order to insure that we can help you out to the best of our ability. Can you tell us the model numbers of your TV and blu ray players?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Will I need 2 HDMI cables? One to connect the Blu-ray to the Uverse STB and another to connect the Uverse STB to the TV?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

It has HDMI connectrions.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

My TV is Model: NS-37L760A12SKU and the Blu-Ray is Model number: BDP-S780.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Insignia TV.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@Dvdjns1 wrote:
Will I need 2 HDMI cables? One to connect the Blu-ray to the Uverse STB and another to connect the Uverse STB to the TV?

If your Blu-ray player has an HDMI output, you can use an HDMI cable to connect the player to the TV.

How is the U-verse box currently connected to your TV?

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

12 years ago

@Dvdjns1 wrote:

You'll want to connect the Blu-Ray player to the TV via HDMI and the U-Verse STB to the TV via HDMI. You will only need to get 2 HDMI cables if your UVerse STB isn't connected to the TV via HDMI.

So to recap here's how you'll want things connected:

U-Verse STB connected to the TV into HDMI 1 via an HDMI cable

Blu Ray Player connected to the TV into HDMI 2 via an HDMI cable

There is no cable connecting the U-Verse STB to the Blu Ray player.

Is there any other equipment you're hooking up to this TV (VCR, Sound system, etc.) ?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.