Posted Jul 31, 2011
12:12:12 PM
Bandwith Limit meter?

Where can I view to see how much bandwith I have used? I know we get 250 gig but I also do backups and work in the music business where I download large music files to master recordings. I just cant find where I can see how much I have used?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Jul 31, 2011 12:23:28 PM
(0)
Guru

Meter and limits are not in place yet.

Accepted Solution

Bandwith Limit meter?

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Jul 31, 2011 12:23:28 PM
(0)
Guru

Meter and limits are not in place yet.

Re: Bandwith Limit meter?

2 of 19 (3,325 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 31, 2011 12:29:59 PM
(0)
Teacher
thanks Jim. I have serveral large projects to Master still so this is very good atm.

3 of 19 (3,320 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 6, 2011 4:59:05 PM
(0)
Contributor

any idea of when they will put the limits in place?

and, oh, as they said that they'd be putting in the cap starting 1 May, doesn't anyone else think that it would have been a good idea for them to have thought things through and actually have everything ready months ago?

4 of 19 (3,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 6, 2011 8:08:01 PM
(0)
Guru

I think it's good they announced the limits in advance so people considering switching to U-Verse would know.  On the other hand, they probably didn't anticipate it would take this long.

5 of 19 (3,146 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 7, 2011 4:05:51 PM
(0)
Employee

They put the caps on the DSL customers but have not gotten reliable numbers for Uverse internet. So Uverse is cap free so far.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 19 (3,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 10, 2011 12:08:41 PM
(0)
Teacher

Dumb question: How can they tell the difference between U-verse TV bandwidth, and U-verse Internet bandwidth?

7 of 19 (3,032 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 10, 2011 2:27:07 PM
(0)
Guru

I don't know, but they can.  It's not something you need to worry about.

8 of 19 (3,015 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 10, 2011 4:36:12 PM
(0)
Employee

jswilson64 wrote:

Dumb question: How can they tell the difference between U-verse TV bandwidth, and U-verse Internet bandwidth?

There are header addresses on each data packet on the different streams. Think of the data stream coming into your home as cars in a train. Some cars carry liquid in tankers and solids in boxcars. Each car has an ID number so it can be delivered to the correct final location. That is how they get channel X to the bedroom STB, channel Y to the den STB and the internet data to the router to be feed to the computers in the house.

The only dumb question is the one not asked.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Bandwidth Limit meter?

9 of 19 (3,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2011 3:04:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

So just to be clear, there is currently no data usage limit / cap for ATT U-Verse high speed internet, correct?

I just signed up for U-Verse internet a few days ago (switched from ATT DSL for faster speeds on UVerse) and am a bit concerned about the rumors about a usage cap of 250GB on UVerse internet? Is this in place, or is my internet unlimited at this time? I have the U-Verse Elite package with 6Mbps download speeds, and so far in about 3 days I have reached about 217GB already (reformatted my PC when I got UVerse so I had to get everything back on it). Please let me know if I have reason to worry about being charged more.

Also was wondering about throttling, as I know this is in effect for the highest of data users. What exactly is the cutoff limit to have your services slowed? 

Thanks - TS

10 of 19 (2,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2011 3:55:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

tsannasardo wrote:

Also was wondering about throttling, as I know this is in effect for the highest of data users. What exactly is the cutoff limit to have your services slowed? 

Data caps are currently not being enforced on U-verse internet service. Also, there is no throttling occurring on U-verse internet service.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 19 (2,429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 4, 2011 9:09:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

So I just spoke with an AT&T rep today over the phone concerning the UVerse cap, she confirmed that it is indeed capped at 250GB per month, and $10 for each 50GB Of overage. 

This may have changed from the time that this was posted, however it is now in effect for all ATT UVerse subscribers.

Better then the 150GB limit on DSL I guess, still its easier to go over with UVerse cause you can actually download large files (instead of having your DL interrupted when the ATT DSL resets itself cause it can't handle high-intensity data downloads)

O well $10 for each 50GB of overage is pretty good, I dont think I'll go over the 250 that much to begin with, not in a normal month anyways

RE: caps on U-Verse

12 of 19 (2,377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 4, 2011 9:10:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Data caps are currently not being enforced.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: RE: caps on U-Verse

13 of 19 (2,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 4, 2011 9:14:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for letting me know. So to clarify, although they are in place, the limits are not currently being enforced. That is what I got out of this thread. According to the phone rep I spoke to, she made it sound like I would get charged for going over at this time, so good to know that I will not yet see any charges for going over the 250GB limit that is supposedly "in place" at this time. I will continue to monitor my bills to see if any charges come up that are not part of my plan, and will be posting back here with the results once my invoice comes in.

Thank you for your input! =)

14 of 19 (2,373 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 4, 2011 9:41:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

A bandwidth cap for U-verse internet were added to the Terms of Service (TOS) Agreement in May 2011; however, it is currently not being enforced.

15 of 19 (2,367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 5, 2011 4:57:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

jimgfitzgerald wrote:

I don't know, but they can.  It's not something you need to worry about.

That sounds like an AT&T answer, Jim:smileywink:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them.

Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

16 of 19 (2,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2011 1:29:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

texasguy37 wrote:

A bandwidth cap for U-verse internet were added to the Terms of Service (TOS) Agreement in May 2011; however, it is currently not being enforced.

Any idea if (and when) it is coming?

The first thing I asked the sales rep was : "are there bandwidth caps in place?" and the answer was a resounding 'no' (that was back in February). I was kind of unhappy to hear just a couple of months later that this was going to change. 

So for now we are on borrowed time, but as soon as they turn on metering I imagine many people will jump ship (including myself ... curse the one-year contract. )

17 of 19 (2,270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2011 1:34:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No, no word as to if are when a internet bandwidth cap might be enforced.

Also, the sales rep was correct, there is no U-verse internet bandwidth cap in place.

18 of 19 (2,266 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 19, 2011 9:52:03 AM
(0)
Guru

I hate using references to my previous experiences with Comcast (it seems to irritate a few individuals on these forums for some reason), but before their 250GB cap was actively enforced, they DID warn the high users at least 2 or 3 times before a full disconnection in a written letter. Once they did come clean and say, "Yes, we're going to cap", they didn't start truly enforcing it until the meter was in place, so it was a matter of months from announcement to actual implementation.

They are right in that only about 3-5% of customers are ones who will go over. The most use I had in one especially heavy month was about 30% of the 250GB, and I didn't have torrents or Netflix running for hours on end.

Most "regular" users get paranoid about going over the 250GB cap, when they're not going to be affected unless they drastically change their internet use habits.

19 of 19 (2,236 Views)