Posted Oct 23, 2013
BBC America Gets HD Launch On U-Verse
AT&T Renews Overall Carriage Pact With Network
By: Kent Gibbons Oct 23 2013 - 10:04am
BBC America Day of the Doctor promo

BBC America and AT&T U-Verse TV signed a renewed carriage agreement that includes launching the high-definition version of the channel.

BBCA’s HD channel joins AT&T’s U-200 package on channel 1188 as of tomorrow (Oct. 24) and remains on channel 188 in standard definition. On Nov. 19, the channel assignments move to 1122 for HD and 122 for SD, the network said.

The HD launch comes ahead of November’s programming related to the 50th anniversary of sci-fi classic Doctor Who. On Nov. 23, a special in the series, The Day of the Doctor, will be broadcast simultaneously to millions of viewers worldwide in a global simulcast. The channel also plans marathon airings of the series and related specials in November.

“AT&T U-verse TV is delighted to continue carrying BBC America and offering the shows that we know our subscribers want,” Richard Levine, vice president of content at AT&T, said in an upcoming release.

Sandy Ashendorf, executive vice president of network distribution at BBC Worldwide, America, said in the release: “We’re having a record-setting year and are very pleased to continue and expand our relationship with AT&T U-verse. Now, subscribers will be able to experience in high definition, as the creators intended, Doctor Who’s 50th Anniversary festivities, as well as our lineup of award-winning originals, landmark natural history series and the very best in British programming.”

Overall, BBC America is distributed in 81 million U.S. homes, according to Nielsen.

BBC America Gets HD Launch On U-Verse

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

Dang... a whole category of posters will now have nothing to complain about.  BBCA HD on U-verse... who'd have thunk it?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: BBC America Gets HD Launch On U-Verse

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)
Employee

Well, there is always Halmark to complain about! LOL

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)
Mentor

I just have one thing to say: Yea!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)
ACE - Guru

JefferMC wrote:

Dang... a whole category of posters will now have nothing to complain about.  BBCA HD on U-verse... who'd have thunk it?

Geez, Jeffer--they could complain about the channel change from 188 to 122!  :smileywink:  But seriously, it just goes to show that there can be a positive response to a request if there are enough requests and if a decent deal can be struck.  Plus, BBCA is a channel I do watch, so I'm happy, too.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)
Mentor
Alright our theory of HD coming in with the renewal was correct! U-Verse has been on fire the last 2 months with these new channels.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)
ACE - Expert

Keep up the good work ATT.  We like.:smileyvery-happy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 24, 2013
(0)
Scholar

This is great!

I wonder what will be next. Perhaps Independent Film Channel HD?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 24, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

OK....I'll be the first to fuss! 

Here it is 6:30am on 10/24 and no BBCA-HD! 

:smileyvery-happy:

Edit:  It's there!  YEA!

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 24, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

All I can say is YEAH!

Now Top Gear and DR.WHO will be on my recording list.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 25, 2013
(0)
Mentor
How about BBC America HD (or SD) On Demand?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 27, 2013
(0)
Scholar

I waited four long years for this.  And I was getting ready to switch to Time-Warner.  Thank goodness.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2013
(0)
Scholar

I was VERY impressed with the picture quality. It was great watching The Doctor's Revisited in HD! 8)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 30, 2013
(0)
Teacher

I found BBC America HD last night and yea the picture quality looks fantastic on my 59 inch plasma.  I feel like uttering the line from Agent Smith to Neo from the las Matrix movie "WE MISSED YOU."

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 2, 2013
(0)
Guru

speedbird9 wrote:
How about BBC America HD (or SD) On Demand?

You never know...maybe it was part of the same negotiations that brought us BBCA-HD.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 8, 2013
(0)
Guru

About freakin' time!  Doctor Who is quite pleased.