Need help with your equipment?
tangential's profile

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

Sunday, February 20th, 2011 3:27 PM

Any speed difference with Public IPs?

I've just switched over one of my networks to one of my public IPs. The router I have assigned to it is a Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N. I am finding that the best internet speed I can get thru this router is about 4 mbps (wired or wireless.) Communication between 2 servers wired into the router is at about 30 mbps and comms between a wireless N client and one of the wired servers is at about 6 mbps (which takes the 2Wire out of the loop and is IMHO dismal.)

If I test speed thru the 2Wire to the internet I see about 11 mbps. 

If I test speed from a wireless client on the 2Wire to a server behind the Buffalo I see about 2 mbps.

Should I expect lower speeds on the public IPs? Or is this really an issue with my router? Admittedly, the Buffalo is a very cheap router. I'm going to get a nicer router to try out on it, and I'll post the results, but I'd be interested in what others have found.

Thanks,
John

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

13 years ago

Just an update (FWIW).

I swapped out my Buffalo for a D-link 655. Big improvement in speed (also big improvement in D-Link's interface since I last used one.)

I ran some speed tests thru the D-link (which is using one of my fixed IPs off of the 2Wire) and off of the 2Wire directly.

The D-Link gives:

The 2Wire gives:

I'm guessing that this is a limitation of its upstream (which is odd since all of my rules cause processing related to downstream not upstream)  I'm going to play with settings on the 2Wire and see if I can increase its upstream.

Update: I found it. It turns out that for some unknown reason D-Link has QOS and Wan traffic shaping enabled out of the box.

Once I turned that off I got full throughput.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

No, there should be no speed dfference with public IP addresses.  I would wager that the problem is your router.

Try one of the more modern routers with 802.11n and/or gigabit Ethernet ports from D-Link, Linksys/Cisco, TrendNet, etc.

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

13 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

No, there should be no speed dfference with public IP addresses.  I would wager that the problem is your router.

Try one of the D-Link XTreme N routers, such as the DIR-655.

Funny you should mention that one. I did some research earlier this morning and ordered one from Amazon (love that Prime account.)

Just for grins, I turned off WPA and ran a test and got 7.5 Mbps internally where I had 5 before. Must be a really weak processor in the Buffalo.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Very cool, glad it's working good!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.