Posted Aug 16, 2013
Anti-Virus Program?

Now that U-verse is installed, what anti-virus should i use for my computer? Do i go with the McAfee or use something like AVG?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
8-16-2013 6:15:42 PM
(0)

I always reccomend Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7 and earlier. Windows 8 has the same product already installed called Windows Defender.

But it truly is up to you what you install on your computer. They all work well in different ways.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Anti-Virus Program?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2013
(0)
Many will recommend MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) if you are running Windows.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Anti-Virus Program?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Aug 16, 2013
(0)

I always reccomend Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7 and earlier. Windows 8 has the same product already installed called Windows Defender.

But it truly is up to you what you install on your computer. They all work well in different ways.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about U-Verse on the Xbox.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2013
(0)

Yep.  I have a laptop and a desktop....both using Windows 8.  I use Windows Defender on both of them.  It's good....it is unobtrusive....and it is free.

Right now I'm struggling with my brother-in-law's laptop which uses Norton anti virus and it is loaded with junk.  I think I've managed to clean out most all the malware, adware and other invaders.  Been working on it for an entire day.  He gets the Norton program for free with his Comcast service. (that figures)  I had almost forgotten how to run all these scanning programs, etc. because I just don't have the problem with my own PC's.

"I offered my opponents a deal: if they stop telling lies about me,
I will stop telling the truth about them".
~Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech, 1952..

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 17, 2013
(0)
Thanks for all your help. Went with MSE as suggested. So far so good.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 17, 2013
(0)

McAfee is a situation where the cure is worse than the disease.  McAfee has been known to slow even the most modern computer down to crawl.  It's a bloated piece of crap.

Microsoft Security Essentials like others have said is a great alternative if you don't want to pay for antivirus software.  Avast is another great example of a good free antivirus software.

If you want to pay for an antivirus software I do suggest Webroot.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 17, 2013
(0)

Thank you! i'll friend you once I'm on my ps3 again. I went with MSE so no issues or bloatware. thankfully.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 18, 2013
(0)
No problem. If you do friend me on the PS3 please send me a message that you saw me on the at&t forums.
-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about U-Verse on the Xbox.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.