That Don Guy's profile

Guru

• 

622 Messages

Monday, August 25th, 2014 7:24 PM

Another reason to add subchannels

On 8/25, San Francisco's ABC station decided to air its continuing coverage of the Napa 6.0 earthquake earlier that morning rather than the scheduled coverage of the Little League World Series championship game, but said that the game would air on 7.2 (which Xfinity also carries).  Some of us live pretty much halfway between two network broadcast antennas (each of which is at least 40 miles away) and are surrounded by hills, so hooking a digital antenna directly to the TV doesn't work in this case.

I'm a little surprised they don't make at least a little effort to add these - for example, adding them in a way similar to how local public access stations can be viewed on channel 99 (so if, for example, the nearby oil refinery's "shelter in place" alarm goes off, I can turn on my city's public access channel to see a static screen with a message along the lines of "Yes, the refinery's Shelter in Place Alarm is on").

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

Unluckily ATT can't make those changes immediately, there are no ALT channels for that to occur, only way they could do it.  Even then it would have to be scheduled to use an ALT channel too.

Think it was repeated on ESPN Sunday too just for situations like this if users would have checked, AFAIK. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Guru

• 

622 Messages

10 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote:

Unluckily ATT can't make those changes immediately, there are no ALT channels for that to occur, only way they could do it.  Even then it would have to be scheduled to use an ALT channel too.

Although using an Alt channel would have been a good idea - but you're right; it wasn't possible, especially as the decision to move the game to a subchannel wasn't made until the last minute - that wasn't what I was suggesting.  I was suggesting grouping all of a local area's subchannels into a single channel the way all of an area's public access channels can be accessed from U-Verse channel 99.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@That Don Guy wrote:

@mibrnsurg wrote:

Although using an Alt channel would have been a good idea - but you're right; it wasn't possible, especially as the decision to move the game to a subchannel wasn't made until the last minute - that wasn't what I was suggesting.  I was suggesting grouping all of a local area's subchannels into a single channel the way all of an area's public access channels can be accessed from U-Verse channel 99.

I for one, hope that they don't do that as, has been echoed by city/local governments, those PEG "channel 99's" can't be recorded.  My gut says that is the direction that AT&T will go, since it's the most inconvenient / makes the least sense, lol.

scrubs-head-explode-o.gif

1 Attachment

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

Here's another example:

The Ohio State @ Navy game this Saturday is on CBS Sports Network. I've heard an unsubstantiated rumor the game will be on one cable provider in central Ohio on a channel which sounds a lot like the local CBS digital subchannel.

Despite the fact that I can't find anything solid to prove this rumor true, let's suppose it is true.

Luckily, CBSSN is on AT&T's U-300 and the Sports Pack. If CBSSN wasn't on AT&T, well, bad news there.

In summary, while most digital subchannels (IMO) don't offer much to suit most viewing habits, every once in a while, they do.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@baseballisback wrote:

Here's another example:

@The Ohio State @ Navy game this Saturday is on CBS Sports Network. I've heard an unsubstantiated rumor the game will be on one cable provider in central Ohio on a channel which sounds a lot like the local CBS digital subchannel.

Despite the fact that I can't find anything solid to prove this rumor true, let's suppose it is true.

Luckily, CBSSN is on AT&T's U-300 and the Sports Pack. If CBSSN wasn't on AT&T, well, bad news there.

In summary, while most digital subchannels (IMO) don't offer much to suit most viewing habits, every once in a while, they do.

I checked some OTA listings and see nothing listed for OSU vs Navy on 10.2, this Saturday.  Maybe it'll be a "game time decision" and that way they can throw it there without notifying the guides.  Seriously - I doubt that CBSSN would allow it.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

@baseballisback wrote:

Here's another example:

@The Ohio State @ Navy game this Saturday is on CBS Sports Network. I've heard an unsubstantiated rumor the game will be on one cable provider in central Ohio on a channel which sounds a lot like the local CBS digital subchannel.

I checked some OTA listings and see nothing listed for OSU vs Navy on 10.2, this Saturday.  Maybe it'll be a "game time decision" and that way they can throw it there without notifying the guides.  Seriously - I doubt that CBSSN would allow it.

I'm sure you saw it was an unsubstianted rumor, right? Smiley Wink

I only heard the rumor once. The 10TV site even mentioned the game would be on CBSSN. The local newspaper had an article on a smaller provider's refusal to carry CBSSN on any package and where to find CBSSN on other providers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.