For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
Ctripp214's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, January 2nd, 2015 2:21 PM

AT&T Internet + Smart TV

When I spoke with the AT&T rep last month and set up our AT&T Uverse Internet, the representative told me that with the internet package, we would be able to watch a ton of shows and movies on our smart tv.  He told me we could cancel our netflix subscription because we wouldn't need it now that we have their uverse internet package.  I don't see any way to do this, so far.  I've tried to do the live chat with customer service and it's having issues today, apparently.  Does anyone know what I am supposed to do?  Thank you, in advance, for your help. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

The statement - with the internet package, we would be able to watch a ton of shows and movies on our smart tv.  He told me we could cancel our netflix subscription because we wouldn't need it now that we have their uverse internet package. - may or may not be true.

An internet package is just access to the internet. To gain access to content, you need to subscribe & your equipment(e.g. smart TV) needs to support access.

If you subscribe to u-verse TV, in addition to u-verse internet, you will have internet access to some u-verse content. I cannot tell you a defintive list of that content. Nobody can. It is too complicated & it is constantly in flux.

There are a number of TV adders to get internet access to more content. But, if you have it already on the TV the internet access is only valuable in special cases. You still have to pay for the TV.

There are also internet only (e.g HULU, HULU +) that have free & paid levels of content access.

All three of these sources have the same problems - very complicated & constantly changing.

Then there is the equipment - You need a browser on a powerful computer, with high speed intenet for robust access to internet content. Devices such as iphone and smart TVs use focused apps to access specific content because they are not as powerful as computers. You need to be sure that your device has an app for the content you want. Another example of complicated & fluid.

Here is a thread from the equipment perspective http://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-Applications/Windows-8-app-for-Uverse/m-p/4177753#M4092

Can all this replace Netflix for you? Only you can decide.

In summary, the true side of the statement is dependent on your ability to access the content via subscription (either paid or included in another package [internet subscription alone does NOT include any content subscription]) and your equipment to have physical access to the content source. Netflix seems to be readily available on all internet access equipment when you subscribe to it.. If you see a way to replace Netflix, it will probably require more effort to actually use.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the response.  I appreciate the quick reply! 

Guru

• 

644 Messages

9 years ago

press your menu button then go to "On Demand" tab that is where you will find all your movies group together. There is also a "Uverse Screen Pack" tab. This is Uverse answer to Netflix. I think it cost 5 a month. You can also DL the Uverse app for phone or tablet and watch live tv and On Demand. This is free....

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.