Need help with your equipment?
RRS1947's profile

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

Saturday, August 30th, 2014 7:10 PM

AT&T Elite download speed increased from 6mbps to 8mbps

My AT&T Elite tier download speed was increased on August 27, 2014 from 6mbps to 8mbps [Download SyncRate (kbps) 8190]. All my speed test results using TestMy.net are stable an consisitent using different servers using various download file sizes from 12MB to 200MB with a 0-1% variance beginning to end over the entire download.

AT&T Uverse Tier 2 Tech Support in the Arizona call center told me that they may be improving the ADSL2+ Tier Packages for users. He also told me that he was not aware of any bulletins or information at this time.

As of yesterday 8/29 at 2:00pm through today 8/30 at 2:00pm CST the wait times for tech support have increased to 10-30 minutes.

Is anyone else on the forums noticing this, has experienced a speed bump or have any information?

Thanks,

Rob

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

Actually that's the 2d bump up in speed for us VDSL users.  A year or so ago my 12M internet was getting 13.25/1.97.

Now a couple months ago it was gettiing 15.35/2.00 and still does today.

Years ago when I had ATT DSL 768KB, they gave us a free bump up to 1.5M at the same price.  So, it's really not anything new from ATT. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

10 years ago

ADDENDUM: My Present Broadband Status

Broadband Status

Line State Up

Broadband Connection Up

Downstream Sync Rate (kbps) 8190

Upstream Sync Rate (kbps) 766

Modulation ADSL2+

Data Path Interleaved

Broadband IPv4 Address *********

Gateway IPv4 Address ********

MAC Address **********

Primary DNS 68.94.156.1

Secondary DNS 68.94.157.9 Primary

DNS Name dnsr1.sbcglobal.net Secondary

DNS Name dns157r9.sbcglobal.net

MTU 1500

IPv6 Status Available

Global Unicast IPv6 Address *********************

Border Relay IPv4 Address ************

IPv4 Statistics

Transmit Packets 5063113

Transmit Errors 0

Transmit Discards 0

IPv6 Statistics

Transmit Packets 0

Transmit Errors 0

Transmit Discards 0

Downstream and Upstream Statistics

Downstream Upstream SN Margin (dB) 8.3 - 17.3

Line Attenuation (dB) 34.0 - 20.2

Output Power(dBm) 18.8 - 12.1

Errored Seconds 346 - 0

Loss of Signal 1 - 0

Loss of Frame 0 - 0

FEC Errors 16244 - 2

CRC Errors 1656 - 0

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@RRS1947 wrote:

My AT&T Elite tier download speed was increased on August 27, 2014 from 6mbps to 8mbps [Download SyncRate (kbps) 8190]. All my speed test results using TestMy.net are stable an consisitent using different servers using various download file sizes from 12MB to 200MB with a 0-1% variance beginning to end over the entire download.

AT&T Uverse Tier 2 Tech Support in the Arizona call center told me that they may be improving the ADSL2+ Tier Packages for users. He also told me that he not aware of any bulletins or information at this time.

As of yesterday 8/29 at 2:00pm through today 8/30 at 2:00pm CST the wait times for tech support have increased to 10-30 minutes.

Has anyone else on the forums noticing this, has experienced a speed bump or have any information?

I am not aware of any recent changes for ADSL2+ customers, but since I am now a VDSL customer I don't keep very close track of information there any longer either.  I know about 6-12 months ago, the VDSL customers expereinced similar to what you are describing when AT&T started rolling out their Power Tier level of service.  My 12Mbs service regularly tests up to 15Mbps for me on the download, and the 1.5Mbps upload tests at 1.8-2.0Mbps for me.  It had something to do with the profiles needed for the higher tiers being rolled-out to customers at lower levels.

I looked at it as AT&T's way of saying "Fewer customers will complain about getting faster service than we promised than if they got slower service."  Yeah, I know the service is sold as "up to xyz Mbps"  but still, if you get better than what you are paying for you are more likely to be happier than if you get slower speeds.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for your reply, GeekBoy. This seems to be the a logical reason for the unexpected bump in my speed.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

10 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote:

Actually that's the 2d bump up in speed for us VDSL users.  A year or so ago my 12M internet was getting 13.25/1.97.

Now a couple months ago it was gettiing 15.35/2.00 and still does today.

Years ago when I had ATT DSL 768KB, they gave us a free bump up to 1.5M at the same price.  So, it's really not anything new from ATT. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Thank you Chris. For my personal uses the up to 6Mbps was sufficent, however the 2Mbps bump improved my Netflix streaming quality since AT&T and Netflix implemented their peering agreement from the 1080p 4300kbps stream to the 1080p 5800 kbps stream. While maintaining an extremely stable download over time.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

10 years ago

Addendum:

I was concerned from the beginning of the appearance of the 8190kbps increase by my low Downstream Signal to Noise Margin during the day of 8.1-8.4 .

I, for evaluation purposes, monitored it closely 8/29, 8/30 and 8/31 during the evening and night window of 7pm to 12am. The S/N Margin dropped to 6.0+-. I experienced several link drops/loss of sync. Edit: On 8/31 during the same period loss of sync and link drops were occuring every 5 to 10 mintues; to numerous to count.

I have come to understand that any value lower than 10db was to be of concern and lower than 6db would cause signal drops due to sync loss.

With the 6Mbps Downstream Sync Rate and my S/N Margin was always between 13db-14db with no sync loss/line drop.

Since my distance to the central office (2Km) or the guage and age/condition of the copper wire outside my house to the central office will not be changed, reducing my downstream sync rate back to 6Mbps is what I believe my only option. The wire and distance is the weakess link in the entire connection.

A stable connection is more important to me than a faster speed. The only advantage in my situation to the 2Mbps increase was being able to use the Netflix 1080p HD 5800kbps stream. The 1080p HD 4300kbps stream works well with 6Mbps and with no subjective visual difference or sync loss.

Any feedback and/or comments would be appreciated.

Rob

Update 8/31/2014 4:42pm CST

I was on the phone with one tech who assured me he was a Tier Level 2 for one hour. He said he was totally unaware of a 8190kbps increase to the Elite up to 6 mbps to 8mbps. I was disconnected, waited 20 minutes for him to callback then after no call. I called back to a real Tier level 2 tech, who said the previous tech closed my case which was opened on 8/28. She noted many FEC errors over the past four evenings She reopened the case with a new case number that refers back to my previous case which was opened on 8/28. She also noted that she was unaware of 8mbps increase to any Elite 6mbps users. She also noted that she sees my Downstream Sync Rate of 8190kbps and S/N Margin of 8.1db.

I was told by the field supervisor Friday 8/29 when I called him and described the issue in detail that if anyone in tech support wanted to send out a tech to decline and call him back. He also noted that several of his field techs had seen the exact 8190kbps increase and were puzzeled.

I have left a message with my local field supervisor to call me Tuesday 9/2, who will send out the tech who is exteremly familiar with my connection from the NVG510 to the central office.

I am curious as why I am the only user posting on this thread that has actually seen and/or experienced the 8mbps increase on on the 6mbps package.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

I am not very far out of the Uverse coverage area but at home I have the Elite 6 Mbps DSL tier via R/T on fiber (no Central Office). Does anyone know if AT&T will bump up it's Elite DSL speeds??

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

10 years ago

@GeekBoy wrote:

I looked at it as AT&T's way of saying "Fewer customers will complain about getting faster service than we promised than if they got slower service."  Yeah, I know the service is sold as "up to xyz Mbps"  but still, if you get better than what you are paying for you are more likely to be happier than if you get slower speeds.

If the speed increase does not drop the S/N Margin below 10 then to 6 and lower after 7pm and causes freguent evening and night sync loss/link drops. If I had been asked for my permisson to approve the 'out of the blue' speed increase I would have declined knowing my particular connection's limitations at this time. Faster is not better without stabiltiy.

"Bigger and Better", "New and Improved" and "99 cents" are tried and true marketing tools as GeekBoy paraphrased.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

I also have the "elite" speed.  I just got a 7.3, but have previously noticed that it does go over from time to time.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

10 years ago

@baseballisback wrote:

I also have the "elite" speed.  I just got a 7.3, but have previously noticed that it does go over from time to time.

I'm curious baseballisback. What are you seeing since the speed increase as your SN Margin day, evening and night?

Thanks,

Rob

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.