Posted Feb 3, 2013
att email won't work with outlook 2007

I had to change my password, and cannot reconnect my account with Outlook.  All settings are correct.  I have deleted the account and reinstalled it, also tried using primary and alternate servers.  I've had 4 discussions with tech assistance.  The last two basically told me that if my e-mail connected to the (pathetic) yahoo webmail, it was my problem not ATT's.  I could try their premium tech service for $180.

This is outrageous, since issues such as this seem to be a recurring problem since merger with Yahoo.  Iin searching other forums, outlook/yahoo problems are a recurrent theme. In fact, at one point ATT officially recognized that they had the exact problem I'm having!!!

"Alert: Intermittent Password Issues

AT&T has identified several intermittent password-related issues that may impact customers, including the following:

Customer email passwords suddenly stop working
After password resets, customers are unable to access email
Customers are getting caught in password reset loops
The "Remember Me" password option for email isn't always working
Customers are unable to send/receive email with new mail settings

Please be aware that AT&T is working to resolve these issues. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms above and have been unsuccessful accessing your email or resetting your password, please Contact Us for more assistance".

Would appreciate any help!

att email won't work with outlook 2007

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 3, 2013
(0)
Standard server setup is as follows, which works for me:

POP: pop.att.yahoo.com, Security SSL, Port 995
SMTP: smtp.att.yahoo.com, Security SSL, Port 465

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

Re: att email won't work with outlook 2007

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 4, 2013
(0)

Thanks for writing, but these are the settings that I have been using.  I've also tried the alternate servers - inbound.att.net, outbound.att.net.  The "enter network password" screen pops up every 10 seconds, and I am unable to save the password.  Things worked fine until I had to change the password.  I have had this situation in the past with a secondary att address.  The situation usually resolved itself eventually, but this is the fourth day of not being able to use outlook for this account. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 4, 2013
(0)
You can try and due a purge of the defaulft account in Outlook, along with the pst (backup first), then set back up a new Outlook profile.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2013
(0)

ATT Support advises that they turned Yahoo Mail function completely over to Yahoo in Mrach 2012.  They advise that any support issues should be addressed to Yahoo.  They say the same applies to Outlook issues as well.

Yahoo has Mail Plus which supports Pop 3, for $20/year.  Basoc Yahoo, which ATT uses, does not.  That may be why there has beem sucvh contradiction and inconsistency from ATT Support. 

I have followed all recommended settings, direct frim ATT Support, at three different times.  Each time they were diffewrent, and each time I was assured trhat these settings finally have it right.  In all 3 cases, they worked temporarily, but then went right back to the "Enner Network Password" problem.

As ATT never seems to weighh in, and clarify or help, I'm now thinking the only solution is to reb=view the latest XFinity(Comcast) offer.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 21, 2013
(0)
Amen. Same problem with receiving from inbound server ( no matter which one I use). ATT ... email is an important service and Outlook is a major product ... why are WE, your customers, suffering such problems?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 22, 2013
(0)

AT&T and Yahoo

Why is there never a qualified, definitive, response on this issue, and many others, closely related?

I have had AT&T tell me that they turned everything over to Yahoo.  When I contact Yahoo, I am routed right back to AT&T.  Both AT&T and Yahoo will refer desperate Users to Outlook, as if they have nothing to do with the problem.  Never mind the fact that Outlook is a proven, reliable, and robust email client in every other type of application.

I would give up on using Outlook, if Basic Yahoo Mail was not so limited, and, through AT&T, at least, so error prone and buggy.

Of all the different theories, and "solutions", the only one not totally disproved is that Yahoo Mail Plus is required to allow Outlook to work properly within AT&T.

AT&T seems unwilling to admit that their Customers need to spend an extra $20/Year* to have proper functioning, full strength email.

Even AT&T's premium Tech Support, at $120/Year, ConnecTech, simply repeated settings that were already proven wrong.

The only real solution left seems to be to vote with your feet.

* A bargain compared to the hours of frustration and wasted time.

AT&T Response Required - ATT email won't work with outlook 2007

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 4, 2013
(0)

After I gave a very unsatisfactory rating to ATT and their representative in a satisfaction survey, ATT called me back concerned about why I was upset.  I explained that I had always used Outlook with my Uverse account and that I was upset that it had been failing to work recently.  I was upset that ATT wanted to send me to a costly ATT Outlook consult session.  I was upset that the support call I made seemed be turned into a sales call by ATT.  Well, after I explained my concern to the ATT representative, she said that she would have Tech Support look into the problem I had been having.  Wonder of wonders, today, April 4, 2013, Outlook is working again.  I still have to repeatedly enter my ID and PW but it is pre-filled and Outlook works.  I suspect that there is still more that ATT could do to clean up the performance of their POP3 server and maybe those signon request screens would go away.  If some ATT representative reads this, please convey my thanks to whoever fixed my Outlook problem.   I hope it doesn't reoccur. ---- Mike ATT Uverse customer for at least 4 years

[edited for privacy]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 4, 2013
(0)
r100s77, it is not ATT's fault that Microsoft dropped the ball on this one. If anything, it should be Microsoft getting the unsatisfactory marks.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 4, 2013
(0)

Spoke with a person from ATT today. You need to go to ATT.net and log into it thru att.net. There is a third party involved that is having problems. Have to seperate it from Outlook for it to work so just go to att.net and login that way. Hope this helps.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 16, 2013
(0)

You are not alone! I have been using Outlook 2007 with att.net for a couple of years without problem. Today, I installed a new PC, installed Outlook 2007 and copied all the email settings from the old PC to the new one.

Login was impossible, even though the old PC with Outlook was still accessing email fine. I called att support and they set up a password change for me.

Now, though the password is fine as verified using the att/yahoo webmail site, not only is my new PC with Outlook unable to get past login - now my old PC that had been working fine until now, cannot get in either. So by attempting to help me, att has now completely locked me out - leaving me with webmail access alone.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 16, 2013
(0)

sntschultze - going to att.net allows one to use the webmail service which is hosted by Yahoo. This is not a solution to the problem discussed here - which is that something is causing att email servers (that means yahoo servers) not to respond properly to Outlook 2007.

An att tech today told me that Outlook will not work with their email - though mine was working fine even as I was being told this. Then, a password change ended my years of successful use of Outlook with att. The tech could offer no solution. See my other posting.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 19, 2013
(0)

Allowed two days to pass and - a miracle happened and I am able to once again use Outlook 2007 with ATT.net email. I responded to a questionaire from ATT about my request for help with the information that Outlook was not working with their email, so perhaps someone was put on the case who knew what to do about it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2013
(0)

I'm having the same issue.  My email was working in Outlook 2010 just fine with the same setting I've been using for about seven years going from Outlook 2000 to 2003 then 2007 and now 2010. 

I would get the password dialog popup once in a while for the past several months and it would always work after a couple of attempts without changing any settings or my password.  This morning (4/20/2013) at 6:22 A.M. was the last time that it worked and has not worked since that time, even after repeated attempts.  Messages still come in on my iPhone, but not in Outlook anymore.

My email account is a @bellsouth.net address.

How is this being addressed?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2013
(0)

My wife is having this problem and I am her tech support. I have tried everything I can think of. I know the password is correct because she can use Yahoo Webmail, but she doesn't like it. I reinstalled Outlook. I tried various fixes suggested by Microsoft, including editing the registry, all to no avail. My email is on the same Uverse account as hers and I am having no problems. I am using Outlook 2010 and I can't log on to her email either. Please help me - my happy marriage hangs in the balance.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 17, 2013
(0)
This worked perfectly for me...THANK YOU!!!