Protect yourself online
Allycat49's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, January 25th, 2015 11:47 AM

Security

If you are married but have separate ATT accounts, can your spouse access your iPhone data if he knows your email address? Also, if my son is on his ATT account and I have let him use my iTunes info for app purchases on his own cell phone , can my husband use that to add me to family sharing without me knowing and access my data that way?

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

Am sure others, with more knowledge than me, will also provide better answers than I can, but at it's simplest, if anyone knows your name and password, they can access your account, and see your information.

If they only know your account name, but not the password, they should not be able to access your account.

If your account is a sub account, and your spouse has the primary account, he does, as the master account holder, have access to sub accounts. If he is NOT the primary account holder, then he'd need the account name and password to access your account information.

If your son has access to your i-tunes account, unless he shares it with dad, don't think he can access it. Pretty sure, i-tunes and at&t are not really linked that way.

If he has all the account information, and is the primary account holder, he may potentionaly be able to do what you sugest (adding you to the family share plan) BUT, unless he knows your name and password, I don't think he can access your phone data.

Keep in mind, I am only generalizing here, but as i don't own or use any AT&T phones, or phone data plans, I am only speculating.

It is really none of my business, and please don't post any personal information, but I sense pretty serious trust issues. It is generaly a good idea to seek counseling to deal with it. All I'm gonna say.

About all I know on this topic, and hope it helps. Hopefully, others more knowledgable can provide more and better information.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @Allycat49

There are only a few ways in which someone else could access the information stored on your iPhone. If they have your iCloud/Apple ID login information, that can be used to view contacts, calendar entries, photos, and even location if Find My iPhone is enabled.

It’s also possible to view things such as text messages in this way, although it requires much more effort. In order to view texts, they would need to restore one of your backups to their phone via iCloud. Any text messages, emails etc. stored within that backup would then be visible on their device.

With regards to your AT&T account, access to the account would not reveal any of your iPhone information, asides from records such as call records, data usage and messaging details. No text message content is available via AT&T.

If you are concerned regarding iCloud account security, I would recommend changing the password, though this would also mean your son would need the new password.

If this helps, please mark this answer as an accepted solution!

Thanks,

Charise

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.